UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 75

mav-man

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chromium covers, the hologram covers, they were ugly.
They were expensive at the time, there were no special variants, you wanted the issue, you had to pay the premium. And we were supposed to buy multiples, cause they were gonna be worth extra someday. 
And people did.
Until the bottom fell out of the market once speculators realized that all those fancy covered issues were too numerous to EVER be worth much.
As an industry, print comics have never recovered, not really. DC dropped dozens of books, and WB would have shut them down completely if the cartoons and toy sales hadn't been going so well at the time. Marvel was prepping for bankruptcy by the end of the decade. (which is why Fox and Sony got such very specific deals for movie rights, they were planning on selling all the rights, including publishing and merchandising, to the Spidey and X-Books to whoever wanted to take them) And while by 2000, the movies saved the company, it hasn't translated to solid sales growth.

So when I make cracks about embossed chromium covers, it's not nostalgia, it's contempt at foolish decisions both companies made to feed the speculator market that may yet kill the print comics industry.

Forget adult collectors not liking action features on toys. Action features are meant for children.

But as a child, I hated action features. Loathed, with a passion. I'd try to break the feature to try and salvage it into a workable action figure. My first customization, if you will.

As long as you guys weren't breaking Super Powers, best 80's action figure line period, I won't have to come hurt you. :batter:

And I guess it depends on the Action Feature... my 12" Steve Austin with the bionic eye you could look through was pretty darn cool (the Six Million Dollar Man, for those of you under 40). As was the 8" GI Joe with Kung-FU gripe... Or Super Joe Commander with the 1-2-punch... yeah... I'm old.

And I'm guess the original MotU just drove you nuts, huh?

I have really fond memories of one of first comics, which happened to have a big ol' hologram on it. Uncanny X-Men 304. I could not believe how many characters were in it. It really did feel like a special treat... but I guess it was the beginning of the end for some of the people who had been collecting for a whole lot longer...
The events seemed a lot less frequent back then, and continuity was more of a concern for writers. While i don't need variant covers or holograms, I wouldn't say 'no' to a return to fewer cross-overs and more cohesive timelines.

5 hours ago, Dave said:

Zach, to get back on topic may we have some hints?

Except for one new modern character and one new modern legacy character (new anti-hero, old codename), Series 75 is entirely re-dos.

BUT.

Two of the re-dos have only been done as a Minimate once before this. One of those two was last seen in 2009, and the other has ONLY been done as a live-action character.

The other five have each had a couple of versions, some fairly recently, but all will be in their most modern costumes, assuming they don't change in the next few months. And they all fit a certain theme. Also, for those doing the math at home, there will be nine characters in the series. No army builders.

Edited by DSTZach

Nine character... Four boxes... well that tells us something right there.

Theme or no theme... let it be Batroc Ze Leaper

Edited by Mirymate

is it too soon for comic Hela? right off the top of my headfirst one i think of that's only been made as an MCU character. but by the time wave 75 is out, we should probably already have the Thor: Ragnarok mates, right? I suppose there are also Mantis, Yondu and Whiplash...

i call Infamous Iron Man for the legacy/anti-hero/old code name.

i'd like to see Spider-Woman get an updated mate in her new costume. i'm reading the most recent series by Hopeless and i think her costume is neat. unfortunately her series just ended, so a new mate probably isn't in the cards any time soon... so that's all i got rn.

Infamous Iron Man would seem obvious as a legacy anti-hero, but Victor von Doom isn't really new. I can't think of any new anti-heroes, though, legacy or otherwise.

Maybe this could be the street level wave that's been hinted at a few times? Spidey, Daredevil, Bullseye, Luke Cage, and Iron First would seem like strong candidates. Moon Knight was made once in 2009, and Hellcat only exists as Trish Walker. ANAD Daredevil had a sidekick (Blindspot?). I don't know if he's still around, but he'd make sense as a new modern character.

EDIT: Ghost Driver would make sense for the legacy anti-hero, and he'd match the street level theme (Thanks EricM!).

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

Ummm... Comic Guardians springs to mind, as we'd get rocket and groot together, securing nine characters, but I don't know who the '09er would be.

Moon Knight, Mar-Vell, Scorpion, Tarantula, Swordsman, Black Bolt, Molecule Man, Spider Woman, Moonstone, Union Jack, Cloak, Dagger, Spymaster, Kraven, Ska'ar

Ska'ar isn't relevant and Cloak or Dagger alone would be weird. Revisiting Black Bolt would be weird without finally bringing the other Inhumans to life.

Moon Knight and Spider Woman are, to the best of my knowledge, the only two who really have a modern presence.

So... how do we get nine characters? 

Movie characters that don't have a comic version, not counting generics:

Harry Osborn, Iron Monger, Betty Ross/She-Hulk, Jigsaw, Zero/Maverick, Silver Fox, Justin Hammer, Whiplash, Happy Hogan, Laufey/Jotunheim Giants, Volstagg, Destroyer, Dum Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, Azazel, Sebastian Shaw, Howard Stark, Peggy Carter, Chitauri, Uncle Ben, Capt. Stacy, Aldrich Killian, Maya Hansen, Lord Shingen, Yukio, Heimdall, Malekith/Elves of Svartalfheim, Alistair Smythe, Jasper Sitwell, Batroc, Yondu, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Nebula, Sakaarans, Star-Lord (Quill), Darren Cross, Sharon Carter, Claire Temple, Foggy Nelson, Purple Man, Hellcat/Patsy, Ancient One/Yao, Night Nurse (Palmer), Kaecilius, Baron Mordo, Wong, Karen Page, Stick, Cottonmouth (Stokes), Black Mariah, Misty Knight, Her, EGO THE F'IN LIVING PLANET!, Mantis, Taserface, Tinkerer, Colleen Wing

Have at it

Edit: and whoever's in the Thor Ragnarok waves

Edited by bigvis497

Last seen in 2009 (Ivan's dates), counting comic ONLY:

Jessica Jones, Cloak, Dagger, Gamora, James Rupert Rhodes, Nova (Rider), Spymaster, Kraven (Sergei), Shocker, Tarantula (Rodriguez), Union Jack (Chapman), Wonder Man, Advanced Idea Mechanics, Skaar, Bullseye, Moonstone (Sofen), Johnny Blaze, Hercules, Daken, Ares, Sentry (Reynolds), Speedball, Radioactive Man, Ultimates, Skrulls, Molecule Man, Julia Carpenter, Adam Warlock, Mephisto, Beyonder, Monica Rambeau, T'Challa, Moon Knight, Electro, Mac Gargan, Spider-Girl/May, U Spider-Woman, Vault Guardsmen, OML Hawkeye, Andreas von Strucker, Iceman if ANXM and/or FC doesn't count

Edited by bigvis497

Zach said that the 2009 character only had one minimate, and I'd say the next clue shows that movie/tv versions count.

That would leave:

16 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

Cloak, Dagger, Spymaster, Kraven (Sergei), Tarantula (Rodriguez), Union Jack (Chapman), Advanced Idea Mechanics, Skaar, Johnny Blaze, Hercules, Daken, Ares,  Speedball, Radioactive Man, Moon Knight

Cloak and Dagger both seem very unlikely since there's no way we'd get one without the other. 

In regards to 2009 Speedball was Penance at that point maybe an actual Speedball minimate this time?

I'm always down for comic accurate Guardians too.

Edited by EricM

33 minutes ago, EricM said:

In regards to 2009 Speedball was Penance at that point maybe an actual Speedball minimate this time?

That would be my hope too.

15 hours ago, Mirymate said:

As long as you guys weren't breaking Super Powers, best 80's action figure line period, I won't have to come hurt you. :batter:

And I guess it depends on the Action Feature... my 12" Steve Austin with the bionic eye you could look through was pretty darn cool (the Six Million Dollar Man, for those of you under 40). As was the 8" GI Joe with Kung-FU gripe... Or Super Joe Commander with the 1-2-punch... yeah... I'm old.

And I'm guess the original MotU just drove you nuts, huh?

re: Steve Austin:  definitely.  However, I am now torn as to whether I appreciated the button on his back to make his arm lift the car engine....

re: GI Joe:  I would hate to see modern figures come with Kung-FU gripes....voice features are expensive,  and there are enough whiny snowflakes around.  Kung-Fu heroes should not have 99 first world problems!

1 minute ago, JediJohnson said:

re: Steve Austin:  definitely.  However, I am now torn as to whether I appreciated the button on his back to make his arm lift the car engine...

But it did let him punch Masktron and Bigfoot in slow motion. So that was a bonus at the time.

4 minutes ago, JediJohnson said:

re: GI Joe:  I would hate to see modern figures come with Kung-FU gripes....voice features are expensive,  and there are enough whiny snowflakes around.  Kung-Fu heroes should not have 99 first world problems!

:blink: :headslap:

I'd put money in this being that Marvel Knights/Street Level wave that was teased. I swear to God, if the 2009 Character isn't a Moon Knight remake AKA Mr. Knight, I'll go all Waid on my tables! Oh, wait, they're all bolted down to the floor. Darnit...