UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 75

mav-man

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Kostisfire said:

But they have a cool new hip millennial Patriot! Who is... a kid who was going around throwing molotovs, got in the Resistance bunker, and with a week of training, got a super-super suit by AI Stark. Great origin, right lads?

This is a thing?

38 minutes ago, thereasonsy said:

Sorry I asked.

You can sum up Modern Marvel in hat sentence.

8 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Well, that's... something.

Marvel really loves the Commander Rogers uniform. I like it too, but maybe they don't need to copy it for every patriotic-themed hero?

Vandal turned "hero". Now ain't THAT a great origin?

44 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Vandal turned "hero". Now ain't THAT a great origin?

Hmmm. You mean like top Russian spy and assassin turned hero? Industrial saboteur and international espionage collaborator turned hero? Drug dealer turned hero? Pair of international terrorists turned hero? (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch)

4 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Hmmm. You mean like top Russian spy and assassin turned hero? Industrial saboteur and international espionage collaborator turned hero? Drug dealer turned hero? Pair of international terrorists turned hero? (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch)

Eh, those happened across a period of time. The kid went from throwing molotovs at banks to being decked out in super-armor in 2 months, tops. It's less the origin and more of the fact that nobody talks about it. As if we're supposed to sympathize with him torching places. It's a recent trend with all of these new characters to never point out their flaws. They're all treated as the best thing since sliced bread. Everything is rushed to chalk up one more new character on the board.

21 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Eh, those happened across a period of time. The kid went from throwing molotovs at banks to being decked out in super-armor in 2 months, tops. It's less the origin and more of the fact that nobody talks about it. As if we're supposed to sympathize with him torching places. It's a recent trend with all of these new characters to never point out their flaws. They're all treated as the best thing since sliced bread. Everything is rushed to chalk up one more new character on the board.

Not to mention they're continually pushed even after the interest is shown not to be there. I don't understand how the people at marvel still have jobs. It's like hmmm maybe you could take some time to really sit down and plan a character, think of some character flaws, and map out their story and focus on building them slowly and piquing interest instead of a 1 shot origin, miniseries or "look who's taking over!"

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Not to mention they're continually pushed even after the interest is shown not to be there. I don't understand how the people at marvel still have jobs. It's like hmmm maybe you could take some time to really sit down and plan a character, think of some character flaws, and map out their story and focus on building them slowly and piquing interest instead of a 1 shot origin, miniseries or "look who's taking over!"

It's just that they're all the same. Teen characters who are totes better than the originals. Same personalities, same quirks, same everything.

10 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

It's just that they're all the same. Teen characters who are totes better than the originals. Same personalities, same quirks, same everything.

Believe me I know >.< 

I'm a teenager and I'm totally smarter/a better archer/stronger/faster than (insert who they're replacing). 

Like a whole universe of Wally West's to their respective flash's. Except without the character development. 

11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Believe me I know >.< 

I'm a teenager and I'm totally smarter/a better archer/stronger/faster than (insert who they're replacing). 

Like a whole universe of Wally West's to their respective flash's. Except without the character development. 

Yeah, same here. I'm 20 but I can't stand them. Nor the recent of mentally deaging their older characters. Current "lolsorandomXD" Strange is painful to read.

Just now, Kostisfire said:

Yeah, same here. I'm 20 but I can't stand them. Nor the recent of mentally deaging their older characters. Current "lolsorandomXD" Strange is painful to read.

Yeah it's clearly aimed at our demographic or younger but I can't stand it. Like just write the characters as people not as generic millennial stereotypes or stereotypes of quirky kids from when my age group was in middle school it's just sad. It's like if Steve Buscemi was an author  

VAeA885_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

21 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Yeah it's clearly aimed at our demographic or younger but I can't stand it. Like just write the characters as people not as generic millennial stereotypes or stereotypes of quirky kids from when my age group was in middle school it's just sad. It's like if Steve Buscemi was an author  

Let's be honest... Buscemi would write better stories than random YA authors that Marvel employs. And hell, the problem is that it's all too easy. Back in the day, the heroes struggled to be powerful and smart. Nowadays? "LOL I'm a genius with a 999 IQ, here, I built a time machine out of scraps". It's like reading Silver Age stuff but instead of them being deliberately cheesy, they pretend to be "serious". Get outta here with that.

53 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I do not know this as gospel but I have been told and don't necessarily believe it but can see how others do that it is about the Intellectual Property. More characters (even poorly thought out and executed ones) the more IP exists and the more potential for additional revenue (TV, Movies, Merch).

TO me, I see the problem being not only the quality of the content being produced but also the price tag associated with it. 4 Bucks for a comic book is a rich man's game. I had a more than generous allowance growing up (AKA I had a job and worked hard for my book money) where I would spend 100 bucks a month and basically owned every DC, Marvel, Image title that got published because the comics were affordable. Now at that budget with the 3.99 price point that's 25 books a month. Not bad but not a way to grow a hobby. Don't get me started on the price points for the digital comics that you actually don't own.

I definitely understand reasony. I wait for trades since you basically get 3 or so issues for free at about $15 a trade and 7-8? Issues in a trade usually. 

i mean marvel charges more per comic don't they? Most likely because they're pedaling a subpar product nowadays and need to charge more for every issue they're able to unload to try to make up for all the money they're losing printing and distributing. Unless it's the comic stores taking the hit for stocking em. 

34 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I wait for trades since you basically get 3 or so issues for free at about $15 a trade and 7-8? Issues in a trade usually. 

Most modern trades that I've read are 5 or 6 issues compiled together. Seems the traditional number is 6, though it all typically depends on the length of the story arc.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Wait...are you telling me that all of you kids aren't playing with fidget spinners, listening to Tyler the Creator and abbreviating or using acronyms for every word in your vocabulary?

....you've forever changed my opinion on young people. 

1 hour ago, Freaqualizer said:

Wait...are you telling me that all of you kids aren't playing with fidget spinners, listening to Tyler the Creator and abbreviating or using acronyms for every word in your vocabulary?

....you've forever changed my opinion on young people. 

Oh I don't know  . . . I heard fidget spinners are all the rage these days.

7 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I think this is a lesson in why we should not start threads too early. 

If it helps, there is no overlap between 74 and 75. More hero-villain pairs. Some New characters. Some ex-Avengers, but who hasn't been one.

That's part of the fun!

Okay... now that we've all had a nice ride on the modern comics suck bandwagon. (always remember, the good old days weren't always good. in fact they regularly sucked too)

Thanks for the hints, Zach.