UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 74

Dave

I didn't start reading superhero comics until the mid-1980s, and I always think of Hulk as an Avenger, if the member they're occasionally ashamed of. I believe there was a statue of the original Avengers on the grounds of the mansion at one point that had the Hulk in it, and the first modern Avengers comic I bought besides the X-Men crossover issues was the Busiek/Perez #1, with all of the past Avengers on the cover, including Mr. Green Genes.

Avengers-Perez.jpg

The guesses are getting pretty good! Some of the "locks" are not right, but all of the [unknowns] have been guessed.

Edited by DSTZach

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Ya know, I'm going to show my age a bit here... but I still have trouble thinking of Hulk as an Avenger. For most of my prime comics reading years, he was much more frequently an Avengers opponent or a Defender than he ever was an Avenger.

Testify! I'm in the same boat.

Not sure what to make of this wave as most of the guesses are not exactly in my wheelhouse. It's interesting to watch people toss ideas back and forth though. All I can really add is that I'd loooove to see Madame Web (original look) as the non-Parker Spider-verser. 

As for the classic Asgardian villain (yay!) I'm really hoping it's Ulik. Nothing against  Surtur or Y'mir but i'd be less enthusiastic about them at standard minimate size. While I can justify a smaller Sentinel those two would be problematic for me.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

I didn't start reading superhero comics until the mid-1980s, and I always think of Hulk as an Avenger, if the member they're occasionally ashamed of. I believe there was a statue of the original Avengers on the grounds of the mansion at one point that had the Hulk in it, and the first modern Avengers comic I bought besides the X-Men crossover issues was the Busiek/Perez #1, with all of the past Avengers on the cover, including Mr. Green Genes.

You are not wrong. At this point I should think of Hulk as an Avenger. But then, I should think of Spider-Man as an Avenger now too, instead of the guy they keep asking and it keeps not working out. But then, every "classic" Avenger (everyone who joined before v1 #100) still defaults to being drawn by big John Buscema in my mind's eye so be patient with this "old man".

(Don't hold your breathe for me to ever think of Wolverine or Deadpool as Avengers, sorry. My mind simply cannot go there. Storm, Rogue and Cannonball will register as Avengers in my head someday. Those two? No.)

2 hours ago, Mirymate said:

(Don't hold your breathe for me to ever think of Wolverine or Deadpool as Avengers, sorry. My mind simply cannot go there. Storm, Rogue and Cannonball will register as Avengers in my head someday. Those two? No.)

Yeah - I really struggled with the Avengers taking on Wolverine. It was clearly a gimmick to sell books. The guys is a known mass-murderer, even if he is a mass-murderer with a heart of gold.
Both of those additions smacked of 'cross-promotion' and cold-hearted grabs for $$$

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Avengers-Perez.jpg

The guesses are getting pretty good! Some of the "locks" are not right, but all of the [unknowns] have been guessed.

One of the best covers in comics! Man Crystal looks awesome in that shot. Also would Binary count as a celestial hero?

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Interesting.  I'm not sure what people are considering a "lock" right now but I'm thinking planet hulk/red king, surtur, ironheart and maybe rogue are fitting that category? 

Out of those ones, I'm still wondering about surtur.  Although I'd love him to be made I'd probably love an ulik more and, to my mind at least, he is a more consistently prominent character over the years in thor comics than surtur (and in toy form) so part of me will be a bit surprised if we get surtur over him.  He does wear less though so that gives him a big advantage right now!

Of the others there is no real evidence for Rogue in Zach's clues but I'm actually wondering if Ironheart isn't quite as certain as we think.  She could easily be in TRU24 which opens up the legacy avengers slot again.  That leaves a tiny part of me hoping it could be kate bishop, but sadly I do mean tiny!

Oh and re the avengers/hulk debate my formative years on the avengers were the englehart, shooter/micheline eras so anybody who wasn't on the team between issues 100-200 (approximately!) are mere pretenders in my eyes! :)

Busiek's run really saved the Avengers from a dark place between the Crossing and Heroes Reborn. The series hasn't really felt the same since that era ended.

I didn't read them when they first came out, and tracking down hundreds of back issues is a kind of stress I don't need, so I'm always looking for trades from the pre-Crossing and Busiek eras.

As ugly as the Crossing was, as painful as Heroes Reborn was, what came after Busiek left was far, far worse. 

As much as I hated Dissasembled and a lot of the New Avengers era, as little as it feels like the Avengers most of the time, it's an improvement over post Busiek dreck.

Edited by Mirymate

Aaaaaand we've officially digressed...

So unlocking the best guess, we have...

[unmade story specific Avenger variant]/ [unmade helmet and armor wearing alien Hulk villain]

[Thor variant] / [classic near naked Asgardian villain]

[unmade Legacy Avenger] / [Spider-Verser]

[unmade story specific Avenger variant] / [Avenger/X-Man variant]

two of them are female, two are villains, two are heroes with villainous leanings

Still think-

Planet Hulk / Red King 

is a good guess.

35 minutes ago, Heinous said:

We've needed you for so long, miry, they get off topic so often. I welcome you back despite not knowing you until now 

Don't heap too much praise yet.
:devil:
Wait'll I hijack some perfectly good thread to discuss some insignificant point of minutia and wont let it go until some nice admin comes to politely tap me on the shoulder.

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

He brought us up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set us upon a rock and established our goings.

Book of Minimates 5:9

And that Biblical phrase is literally how I got my nickname.:yes:

Heeeeeeeey... BIG thank you to whoever installed this :headslap: on the emoticon list while I was gone!!!  Now I don't need to remember where the one I used to import got put.

Go check those corners, Apone.

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

3 out of 8.

I'm reckoning that will be red king, hydracap and one of the thor villains then.  However, I'm sure technically that's 3 out of 11 so it might be useful if you could tell us which thor villain you were counting... ;)