UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 74

Dave

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still on the fence about this wave, as Surtur is the only one I really want. I'm sure I'll probably end up ordering the set from Luke eventually though. The extra pieces are nice, and there's definitely some good fodder to be had in there. If I recall, a lot of you were unhappy with the coat included for Wolverine in the Days of Future Past box set a few years ago; sure looks like you've got a good replacement here.

I think a lot of us were looking for something like he wore on the cover of the comic (yes, I know that may not be accurate to the interior art) so this jacket isn't quite that, it would need fleece down the sides and along the bottom. It is a nice piece though and would be an upgrade over what we got.

I'm a little surprised at all the Surtur love considering how drastically undersized he is. It's a nice figure, though the degree of transparency of his fiery underpants makes them look a little weird, I just don't have a place for a figure that out of scale.

Just now, Freaqualizer said:

@Heinous is the sword the same as the one that came with Magik? I missed that release originally and she can be quite expensive. 

I don't own magik but I just looked up that sword, it looks awfully the same but I'm not home right now to say 100%. Obviously the colors are different though 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Planet Hulk was good. Its follow up World War Hulk not so much. But that might just be my dislike of Romita Jr.s art.

Edit: the original Greg Pak Planet Hulk from several years ago, not the stuff from whichever "big event" they brought it back for recently.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

• 2 months later...

This might be a bit of a necro but I felt like making some observations after picking this wave up at a significant discount. I had wondered why the discussion of the wave seemed to die down so quickly. Now I understand as I don't think I've ever felt so indifferent to a wave after having it in hand.

Hulk: This is the figure I was most anticipating. He's good enough but doesn't wow me the way I hoped. I might make a costume design tweak or two but I'm generally satisfied. The sandal paint is pretty sloppy. I could do without the hole in the sword. I may switch it out for the sword from the previous version of this costume, it's the same mold but painted better.

Red King: While it's cool to get the Red King, the design is so far off it makes me wonder what Marvel's standards are for approving designs.

Captain America: While I don't care much for the costume or story it's from this is a good minimate. The metallic paint on the shield is nice. I can't say how accurate the HYDRA chest tattoo is as an alternate look but it's a cool piece to have.

Ironheart: Decent enough but kind of a bland minimate. I'm not a fan of using just a regular body for an Iron Man armor but for this character I guess it makes sense. The paint is nice.

Logan: Strangely enough I think this is the best figure of the wave. We've had a lot of Old Man Logan but at least this is the best of them. Everything is there to represent the character accurately without compromise. The jacket is nice (not a good substitute for DoFP though). The extra chest, head, arms, and hair really add a lot to the figure.

Spider-Girl: Having no familiarity with the story this is a decent figure that's instantly forgettable.

Thor: I think I hate this figure. I suppose it sort of represents a lot of the minimate trends I've been frustrated with over the past few years. The comic design seems good enough but the execution of the minimate is horrible. The loincloth doesn't match any of the art that I can find and creates a gap at the bottom of the chest block. All of the details are moved up because of it. Instead of a dynamic Thor cape we have the standard one. The face is decent enough. I can't help but compare this to Unworthy Thor (since it was released at about the same time) a figure from a story I don't like with a look I'm lukewarm on and turned out to be a fantastic figure. This could have been that good, it's not.

Surtur: Size aside I have two issues with this figure. First, as was mentioned, his sword doesn't fit that well in his hand. Second, the translucent fire over the red crotch piece looks weird. That piece really ought to have been swapped out for an orange or yellow one to improve the look. Maybe that was missed because the protoypes don't use translucent plastic?

I shan't review a review but I'll just add a couple of things . 

Logan gets a receding hairline , a subtle ,tiny design which nails the character as 'old' Man Logan  whilst the Red King ......who gets ounces of moulding & pots of paint .....ends up as 'who he?'   Subtlety + cheap = success.

Captain America & Iron Man  are packaged together , if that was perceived as a good idea then fair enough but I reckon a better idea would have been to show that this 'Iron Man' was in fact Iron 'Woman' .....pack her with her helmet off & let the people know.   

Thor ?  It took me a while to figure out why this character could be so 'off' & then it became obvious ......stack32 led me.....AoT Thor in the comics has four silver coloured (medallionthingies:D)discs on the front of his costume,2 on the belt & 2 holding his cape .   The AoT Thor Minimate's torso has these features painted on but it looks to me that either the silver paint was forgotten or it got painted over ?  Why on earth didn't they use the mould of an existing cape (with these 2 silver 'whatsits')  .....there are several ! 

Would anyone be able to try something for me? Would some body that has the Surtur and Magma figures be able to tell me how close the two are in color? Been thinking about hunting down the Surtur set to use the crotch piece to make Magma more... magma'y but not sure if the color will be way off or not.

49 minutes ago, Chigarillo said:

Would anyone be able to try something for me? Would some body that has the Surtur and Magma figures be able to tell me how close the two are in color? Been thinking about hunting down the Surtur set to use the crotch piece to make Magma more... magma'y but not sure if the color will be way off or not.

Untitled.jpg