UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 74

Dave

1 hour ago, Mystery Man said:

Surtur is a delight. Warbound Hulk looks nice too. The rest are a big pass for this fella. They all look good, mind you. I'm just not "buy 2 custom cases with Luke" excited.

That Wolverine/Spider-Girl set feels like one hell of a reach to get "big names" in the set, in my a-holey opinion. 

How is putting Wolverine in a wave a reach? He's Marvel's de facto flagship character, after Spidey, and this is his current look -- a high profile look we haven't made. And as far as other costumed characters he has associated with, Spider-Man's granddaughter is one of the few costumes in Old Man Logan. We could have done an X-Man, Storm or Marvel Girl, but they're not going anywhere. And Chuck loves Spidey.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

The one time we can't get a figure based on the concept/promotional art. And he's gotta appear in the costume at the end of the run, or else that's just a waste of a good design, and opportunity. I havent seen a modern costume change, even if it is just promo, in the last couple years that I've liked as much as Hydra cap. I also can't believe we didn't get unworthy Thor, instead of a Thor we've seen 20+ times Before, or another Jane Foster Thor. 

A second full-Hydra Cap is still possible, but he wore this suit for a year. 

And the Ages of Thunder Thor look is different from the classic look, but this was a way to deliver a new look in a classic vein. Other Thors are still possible. It is a movie year!

7 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

How is putting Wolverine in a wave a reach? He's Marvel's de facto flagship character, after Spidey, and this is his current look -- a high profile look we haven't made. And as far as other costumed characters he has associated with, Spider-Man's granddaughter is one of the few costumes in Old Man Logan. We could have done an X-Man, Storm or Marvel Girl, but they're not going anywhere. And Chuck loves Spidey.

The Old Man Logan I'll give ya, but I'm still not sold on whatsherface as a big name, webs or not. They don't look bad by any means and I meant no disrespect... but I was hoping for the newest Spider-Man costume or maybe a slight re-do of Silk for the sad masses who've done without so far. 

Hydra Cap and Ironheart is the only for sure buy for me. i haven't read any Riri other than what's been in Secret Empire, but i figure i better get her now before i decide i want her later and the price has tripled. and i've really enjoyed Spencer's two Captain America books, as well as Secret Empire so Cap is a lock.

if i hadn't already bought Old Man Logan with a throwaway (for me) Iron Man at tru, i would get this one as i do think it's an improvement, and even tho i haven't read anything with her in it, i could easily throw that Spider-Girl in with the rest of the Spider-Verse... but my LCS haven't been stocking new mates lately and i don't see myself going out of my way for it. if they do show up, i may snag it on a rainy day.

the other 2 are passes for me. i don't need a lot of duplicate characters in different costumes (except for the X-Men as i have multiple displays for them), so unless it's a modern look that i prefer over a classic or previous modern look that is now dated, i usually skip out on mates like King Hulk and AoT Thor. it doesn't help that i have never heard of the two characters accompanying them (tho that's not always a deal breaker).

Edited by CortherX

ANAD Spidey must be coming soon, right? If 75 really is street level, I can't see DST skipping him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in TRU 24 or 25 either.

If that pack had to be based on OML, I would have personally chosen Old Man Hulk or Red Skull Captain America, but I understand why DST picked the way they did. There's already a Hulk and a Cap in this wave, and neither have the current (or recent, anyway) relevance of Barton.

Making AoT Thor instead of Unworthy Odinson still seems weird to me, though. Unworthy is current, but not too recent for reference material. Plus, it's similar to his Ragnarok look, and the presence of Thor, Surtur, and the Planet Hulk characters is definitely at least partially related to the upcoming movie.

Still, there's a good chance we'll get Unworthy Odinson anyway, and if we don't, AoT is a decent base for a QC.

This wave is colorful and aesthetically pleasing.  Thank you DST. 

The Surtur Saga is one of my favorite stories in Marvel Comics.  

Greatly looking forward to seeing (online) what is shown at SDCC.  Hopefully it will be full of Thor characters both from the comics and forthcoming film.

Edited by gentry

I can't say that I need a human sized Surter but i'll pick one of those packs up to take a closer look. At worst I can hopefully use his tail for a custom i've had in mind. The rest just aren't for me. Still hoping for Ulik at some point. 

BD, I too only collect minimates. The value of 2 figures for $7.50-$8.00 is irresistible. These tiny block figures caught my attention at first sight and i've got a lot of satisfaction out of collecting this line. I did fear for the future when the single figure $5.99 blind bag price point was introduced. It's affected eBay prices for sure as everyone seems to think even the most common of figures is worth at least that. Even box sets now reflect that price point. Thankfully the two packs have stayed relatively unchanged and are still a great value.

2 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

The Old Man Logan I'll give ya, but I'm still not sold on whatsherface as a big name, webs or not. They don't look bad by any means and I meant no disrespect... but I was hoping for the newest Spider-Man costume or maybe a slight re-do of Silk for the sad masses who've done without so far. 

A Spider-Man costume is a Spider-Man costume, to a certain extent. Silk or ANAD Spidey would blow the theme of the pack, but we haven't shown TRU 24 or 25 yet.

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

ANAD Spidey must be coming soon, right? If 75 really is street level, I can't see DST skipping him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in TRU 24 or 25 either.

If that pack had to be based on OML, I would have personally chosen Old Man Hulk or Red Skull Captain America, but I understand why DST picked the way they did. There's already a Hulk and a Cap in this wave, and neither have the current (or recent, anyway) relevance of Barton.

Making AoT Thor instead of Unworthy Odinson still seems weird to me, though. Unworthy is current, but not too recent for reference material. Plus, it's similar to his Ragnarok look, and the presence of Thor, Surtur, and the Planet Hulk characters is definitely at least partially related to the upcoming movie.

Still, there's a good chance we'll get Unworthy Odinson anyway, and if we don't, AoT is a decent base for a QC.

AoT Thor looks more like how he appeared in Surtur stories. Unworthy is still possible elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

I can't say that I need a human sized Surter but i'll pick one of those packs up to take a closer look. At worst I can hopefully use his tail for a custom i've had in mind. The rest just aren't for me. Still hoping for Ulik at some point. 

BD, I too only collect minimates. The value of 2 figures for $7.50-$8.00 is irresistible.

I know what you mean. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does but the scalinges irks me. I know it's impossible but it doesn't stop me from wishing minimates could at least make blank 4",6",8" mates with random accessories or something. Or pack in build a figure pieces of a bigger figure. :/ if they did that with surtur this wave you bet I'd be buying the whole wave, and I haven't even read any surtur stuff.  

This is also the only line I collect. 

@DSTZach I need that Cap! It could be a legacy wave, and then we could get Kate Bishop and cap.

Hydra Cap/Sam Cap

Infamous Iron Man/ Iron Heart 

Unworthy Thor/Jane Foster

Hawkeyes Clint/Kate

TRU

Spider-Man with glowy Spider from Amazing Spider-Man (idk how we haven't gotten that yet)/Miles

I'd pick up doubles of all those. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

I'm sure if we"d included Jane FosThor or Sam Cap we would have gotten complaints about re-dos. These are all at least new costumes and characters, except Hulk. I'd rather see complaints that they don't know who a character is -- too classic, too modern, not the right corner of the MU, all highly subjective and totally fixable with some reading.

Not that a Legacy wave is not still possible.

11 hours ago, gentry said:

This wave is colorful and aesthetically pleasing.  Thank you DST. 

That got me too. The characters themselvesso nothing for me as I almost exclusively collect the x-men stuff but these all look great! The colors pop and will look great on a shelf.

55 minutes ago, Chigarillo said:

That got me too. The characters themselvesso nothing for me as I almost exclusively collect the x-men stuff but these all look great! The colors pop and will look great on a shelf.

Not even a current X-Men Gold team member in his current outfit?

53 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I'm currently reading X-Men Gold, but this look appearing in that that book doesn't really draw me to the minimate. It'd be another case entirely if I thought there was a chance we'd get any more of the team, but making the most popular member (and only the most popular member) doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I'd absolutely love to wrong, though. A Kitty Pryde, Storm, Colossus, and Prestige box set would be aces.

I'm still planning on buying this pack, for the jacket and Young Man Logan parts. Between this and the upcoming MCU box set gray suits I'm going to end up with a fair bit of custom fodder.

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I'm sure if we"d included Jane FosThor or Sam Cap we would have gotten complaints about re-dos. These are all at least new costumes and characters, except Hulk. I'd rather see complaints that they don't know who a character is -- too classic, too modern, not the right corner of the MU, all highly subjective and totally fixable with some reading.

Not that a Legacy wave is not still possible.

I've never complained about not knowing the characters, I've repeatedly said I'd buy a case of characters I haven't read just for troop building (if they look like army men or civies) and customs. Also I don't think this Spider character fits into someone "not knowing who they are" seeing as how I don't count a 2-3 page (6 panel?) appearance as getting to "know" the character. Like I said I'd even have bought the entire wave just for the unknown surtur if he was even close to scale. 

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

There is a bit of that, but at the same time I already have an OML and the Spider-Girl does nothing for me personally. It's one of those things of I'm totally fine with buying another Cyclops, or Wolverine, or whoever to get a brand new character but this one might be a pass for me solely because of it's paired with a figure I have little interest in. That said the more I look at this wave I may pick up the Surtur and Cap packs just because they are really, really cool looking figures... X-men bias or not.

8 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I know what you mean. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does but the scalinges irks me.

I can justify it with a Kree Sentry or Dreadnought where they've appeared in various sizes throughout their history. Sentinels are a bit of a stretch for me but i've got enough giant ones from other toy lines that I don't have to use the minimate ones if I don't want to. And I believe early Sentinels were in the 12-15 foot range... which I can work with in justifying the regular size ones.

Where I start having trouble is the giant guys like Surter, Y'mir, Galactus, Watcher, Celestials, etc. Those are the ones that I just can't wrap my head around to make it work. I understand that DST has limitations with what they can produce so I generally wish for other characters instead of those ones. They have found creative ways of making figures taller and bulkier than the normal size ones so I'm glad for that. Giant characters just seem too off the mark for me.

Regardless, I am still buying a Surter or two. Whether to use as random fire demons or for parts has yet to be determined. 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I've never complained about not knowing the characters, I've repeatedly said I'd buy a case of characters I haven't read just for troop building (if they look like army men or civies) and customs. Also I don't think this Spider character fits into someone "not knowing who they are" seeing as how I don't count a 2-3 page (6 panel?) appearance as getting to "know" the character. Like I said I'd even have bought the entire wave just for the unknown surtur if he was even close to scale. 

*Note: She also makes an appearance (albeit brief) in Spider-Verse, being one of several spiders recruited by Otto as Superior Spider-Man.

As someone who has read Miller's Old Man Logan I have to appreciate the character selection of Ashley Barton even if I am very surprised she is being made (It can also never hurt to have too many Spider-Versers). I also can't say I was too excited about another iteration of Old Man Logan, I must say I am pleasantly surprised by the final design (even if I could have QC'd both his fur jacket look and his alternate young Logan wife-beater look), and the alt-look certainly makes it a worthwhile purchase. That 2-pack is a definite pick-up for me. And if I read anything with Ironheart between now and time of release I will probably also pick up that 2-pack.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

RE: Old-Man Logan and Spider-Barton

While I'd originally have considered Old Man Logan a niche alternate reality variant with little use (like Ms. Barton)... For all intents and purposes, since his introduction to 6161, at this stage, my brain considers Wolverine and Old Man Logan two separate X-Men (because essentially, they are). It's not like he's the first Alternate Reality/Future transplant. We've had characters like Bishop, Longshot and Rachel Grey running around for decades, and none of them originally calls 616 home. He's not even the first duplicate... as we have characters like Dark Beast, AoA Nightcrawler joining X-Force, and the young transplant versions of the original 5 X-Men. SO at this point... I rationalize him has a completely unique character who I no longer mentally tie to 616 Logan. And were I to display the X-Men... I would include both Yellow Costume "Wolverine" and "Old Man Logan" ... that said, we have a few Old Man Logan's already, so did I NEED this one? No. I could have lived with one of the others. But whatever. It's a Wolverine. I've collected Minimates for years. I get it.

Spider-Barton... ehhhhhh... little less useful to me. She still is a very nichey alternate reality variant for most intents and purposes. HOWEVER... Spider-verse has kind of opened up my mind to a little more flexibility on any and all alt. reality Spider characters (Or kooky Spider-Man variants like you might find in the Walgreens waves)... Do they have much use in a "Classic" 616 Display? Most of them... no. But they're kind of their own display at this point. Much like an Iron Man "Hall of Armor" you can kind of lump them all together into something unique and cool...

SO I dunno. I don't display my minimates anyway, so I don't know why this should matter to me. But I do sort them... so like... maybe I'm mentally prepping for the idea I could display them someday? lol...

On 7/15/2017 at 10:39 AM, DSTZach said:

It's certainly a theme people here have insisted we should follow, as it appeals to casual fans while getting hardcores new characters. I didn't choose the lineups, but the people who do, they read what goes on here. 

That's really great to hear (read?). I think a lot of collectors would be happy to know that, especially if the trend continues.
While I would never have asked fir another OML figure, the value adding that has gone into the figure and the pairing with a unique new figure certainly makes him a much more appealing purchase. 

On 7/16/2017 at 1:32 AM, Gillbob316 said:

SO I dunno. I don't display my minimates anyway, so I don't know why this should matter to me. But I do sort them... so like... maybe I'm mentally prepping for the idea I could display them someday? lol...

Same here. I'm more of an archivist at the moment until I free up space to display these somehow. For the time being Barton will go into my Spider-box with Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, Silk, etc.

I "display" (no risers or cases or anything fancy like that) most of my Marvel minimates on a counter in my bedroom. They're mostly in small themed groups, and knowing I'm going to end up with Ashley Barton inspired me to display my non-Peter spider-people.

Surtur and Red King will go with my general MU villains. Riri and Steve (and Thor if I can get him closer to his unworthy look) will go to my modern Avengers section. This OML will replace the wave 64 version in my modern X-Men, and I'm thinking of putting Hulk into my tiny cosmic group.

On 15/07/2017 at 11:26 AM, BuffaloDelorean said:

I'm currently reading X-Men Gold, but this look appearing in that that book doesn't really draw me to the minimate. It'd be another case entirely if I thought there was a chance we'd get any more of the team, but making the most popular member (and only the most popular member) doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I'd absolutely love to wrong, though. A Kitty Pryde, Storm, Colossus, and Prestige box set would be aces.

I'm still planning on buying this pack, for the jacket and Young Man Logan parts. Between this and the upcoming MCU box set gray suits I'm going to end up with a fair bit of custom fodder.

Agreed on the X-Men Gold, it is really getting good in my opinion and would love to have that Team represented! I agree for me this set is custom fodder but really pretty custom fodder.