UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 74

Dave

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Red King looks like almost all reused parts. Iron Man feet, thigh covers, hands, Onslaught shoulder pads. That's an impressive use of existing tooling. I might get that pack just for that reason.

EDIT: I was thinking of something else for the helmet. That might be the only new piece.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Red King looks like all reused parts. Iron Man feet, thigh covers, hands, Onslaught shoulder pads, Guardsman head/helmet. That's an impressive use of existing tooling. I might get that pack just for that reason.

Def not onslaught's shoulder pads, his shoulder pads were apart of bulk up torso pieces. And guardsman helmet is totally different also 

1 minute ago, elhonez said:

Isn't it typical for these solicit pics to have painted parts, where the final product will be semi-transparent? I'm guessing Surtur will have translucent fire parts. (Zac, correct me if I'm wrong)

Yeah, the prototypes have paint instead of the clear parts. I'd imagine the fire parts of Surtur will be translucent. Otherwise they just look like brightly colored cloth and that's not right.

Does Hulk have a crown? It almost looks like he does but I can't say for sure. DST got that right before so it would be a disappointing detail to miss this time. The left hand should also be green instead of silver. Hopefully a sword will be included. It's still the standout in the wave despite a few potential flaws. Red King is a pretty poor adaptation of the comic look. The shoulder pads are good and the helmet almost works but the rest is a mess of parts reuse. I kind of wish they would have went with a different character that they could have got closer to their comic appearance.

Surtur appears to be a very good figure. He's always portrayed as giant though, right? Makes him less useful for me. I like that art for Ages of Thunder Thor that I've seen (though the covers and interior art seem to show a slightly different costume) but the minimate doesn't do much for me. I think it's the helmet, cape, and belt reuse.

The extra parts for Old Man Logan help that figure out a lot, it will feel like a much more worthwhile purchase if I end up buying it. Unfortunately Barton is a nice figure of character that I have zero interest in. I suppose I could also say the same thing about Ironheart and that version of Cap. The HYDRA tattoo torso is a nice addition though.

Looks like I could easily end up buying just one out of four packs.

Yeah, it's hard to tell if Hulk has his tiara or just an extra wrinkly forehead. I really hope it is there, and a green hand instead of a silver one would be good. The green looks like it might match wave 64's Maestro, but his wristband is gold, and the Maestro with silver wristbands has much lighter skin.

Thor may not have any new parts, but he looks pretty accurate to (the google search results for) AoT. I guess he could have had a more tattered cape, and the art looks more black than blue, but I think DST did a good job on the figure.

5 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

AFAIK the green outfit is just a promotional/cover design. In the books I've seen he wears this design.

A Korg/No-Name/Green Scar/Silver Savage box set would be pretty great. Or you could make it a wave with a couple more Warbound (Hiroim & Skaar's mother?) and some Sakaaran soldiers.

Gotcha, thanks.

I want full Warbound: Elloe, Caiera, Arch-E, Hiroim, Miek, Korg, and No-Name. (I feel like I'm missing someone...it's been awhile since I've read/watched PH.)

So, the "worst-kept secret" in minimate wave reveals is out.  As I guessed would be the case once the wave's likely make-up was worked out, some of the modern variants that I don't know much about don't excite me but the Surtur looks wonderful so I'm happy just to be getting him!  I also like the red king/hulk pairing and indeed the wave's theme in general. 

This wave will be all about my spending when it drops... These are great looking mates of characters I neither want nor need. if I'm on the hunt for something to spend some cash on, this wave will absolutely get my money on aesthetics alone. On the other hand, if I'm strapped for cash when it drops, I won't have any problem passing it up 

It looks like there won't be any new Marvel minimates (besides exclusives that won't show up here) until winter, so I'm sure I'll be happy to see any new releases.

I don't know if this is common or a rarity here, but minimates are the only toyline I collect. Every other line I'd be interested in is either too expensive, hard to find, or sporadic. 

Surtur is a delight. Warbound Hulk looks nice too. The rest are a big pass for this fella. They all look good, mind you. I'm just not "buy 2 custom cases with Luke" excited.

That Wolverine/Spider-Girl set feels like one hell of a reach to get "big names" in the set, in my a-holey opinion. 

Edited by Mystery Man

6 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

AFAIK the green outfit is just a promotional/cover design. In the books I've seen he wears this design.

The one time we can't get a figure based on the concept/promotional art. And he's gotta appear in the costume at the end of the run, or else that's just a waste of a good design, and opportunity. I havent seen a modern costume change, even if it is just promo, in the last couple years that I've liked as much as Hydra cap. I also can't believe we didn't get unworthy Thor, instead of a Thor we've seen 20+ times Before, or another Jane Foster Thor. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't saddened that it turned out to be Surtur instead of Ulik. But, I'm praying like Hel that he shows up one day. He still looks amazing. Now I need to find a way to bulk up some Frost Giants. 

I really like the Cap costume that we're getting, and Hulk looks great. The Red King's design looks pretty fun. 

2 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

... I can't help but notice this wave is 4 variants of established bestsellers paired with 4 brand new unmade characters. Is that the 15th anniversary theme? Pairing greatest hits with new debuts?

It's certainly a theme people here have insisted we should follow, as it appeals to casual fans while getting hardcores new characters. I didn't choose the lineups, but the people who do, they read what goes on here.