UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 74

Dave

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

I can dig that. I really enjoy mythology and gods and folklore. So a lot of the mythology around the Thor lore is very engaging to me. Even the very modern characters like Bloodaxe and Thunderstrike. I remember the Toy Biz action figures coming out in the 90s and I couldn't wait for the Thor figure to be released. 

I generally try to buy all of the Thor releases, except for the civvies in the movie waves and if the movie costume doesn't resemble the comic book counterpart. 

Yep, I'm with you on all of that.  I've always had an interest in mythology, Vikings and colourful superheroes, so when the 9 year old me first came across thor comics there was no looking back!  Thus I'm always really pleased to see any classic thor minimates in DST's schedules and although I'm not a big fan of the movie waves generally, the thor ones normally have some appeal, along with gotg.

As for this wave, well, now we have the thor villain narrowed down to three and I see the likelihood being surtur, ulik and mangog in that order as I can't think of a big storyline that involves ulik directly, although he is nearly always around.  And as Buffalo says, the hulk/red king pairing seems a near certainty.  The rest don't seem much clearer than they have for a while to me though.

Oh and thanks for the character bios Miry, always a good read while we wait for the reveal!

2 hours ago, Gmonkey2k said:

A new World War Hulk would be fantastic. I have the original, but.....It doesn't hold up very well scale wise, compared to newer mates....

I agree with that 100%. I'm usually in favor of getting a new character instead of a redo, but the WW Hulk looks out of place with the modern figures.

12 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

For the other half, I'm less certain. Hydra!Cap and Ironheart could be a Secret Empire pack, but what story would match a Spider-Verser and an Avenger/X-Man? 

I really think one of those is in 74. Rogue seems to be one of them and I'm thinking Late Bishop is the Legacy Avenger as she got guessed much earlier in this thread I think.

Edited by Chigarillo

That's right, only Miry's locks were wrong... rub it in, Zach. :rolleyes:

Simonson's Thor run is considered by many, including me, to be the high water mark for the book. And yeah, generally Walt played less harshly than those who came before or since. That said, he had a double motive in his benevolence. He also hoped that ridding Thor of his Don Blake identity would get his son to finally leave Midgard behind and resume his duties in Asgard. Memory fades whether this was original intent or some later retcon of some later writer. It's been a while since I read that run... which means it's a great time to read it again. Thanks for the inadvertent suggestion there, Zach.

I think Chigarillo could be close... I'd guess, but I'm apparently bad at this. :confused:

6 hours ago, Chigarillo said:

My guesses based off what we know now that I have some time to think:

Unworthy Thor / Surtur

Gladiator Hulk / Red King

Kate Bishop / Hydra Cap

Uncanny Avengers Rogue / AU Spider-Man (no clue on this one...)

3 out of 8

3 hours ago, Mirymate said:

That's right, only Miry's locks were wrong... rub it in, Zach. :rolleyes:

I think Chigarillo could be close... I'd guess, but I'm apparently bad at this. :confused:

I only meant that yours was the list I was responding to, as you had formatted it pretty well and logically organized the guesses. You actually had 3 out of 8 on the list I read, and most of the rest you KNEW you did not know. Knowing what you do not know (i.e. known unknowns) is not a bad thing.

And I'm clearly bad at this, also, because I'm realizing that one of the "new Avengers looks" I've been bragging about is actually... a re-do. A much needed re-do, but a re-do. It's different enough that I could finaigle my way into saying it is a "new look," but technically it's not. So... sorry. It's been guessed, too, though.

I'll try to get a first look up at Marvel.com soon.

Hmm... 

Destroyer Thor / Surtur ----- Avg alt look, nearly naked Asgardian villain

World War Hulk / Red King ----- re-do Avg look, armored alien Hulk villain

Ironheart / Hydra Cap ----- Riri is coming, +repeated guess for this wave

I have no idea for the last two.

Edited by elhonez

28 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

The only modern Avenger variants that would merit a re-do that I can think of are Ronin or Vision 2.0, neither of which seem very likely. Unless we're getting an updated World War Hulk Hulk instead of Planet Hulk Hulk?

I could see DST doing a new WW Hulk. It's a great design and the old is horrible (really, really horrible). Also, they probably want to stay away from Planet Hulk since the Ragnarok Hulk is so similar. 

Zach, I was not upset, offended, or even off put. I'll put sarcasm sign up more often than if it'll help, as that was how I meant my comments about you "disparaging" my guesses. If you actually manage to offend me, I'll send you a PM. We're good, man, we're good.

So... while the Thor variant isn't directly story related to his pack mate enemy, meaning while Thor fought this guy, he wasn't dressed like the variant at the time.
The rest of the packs represent more direct story relations to each other. So that begs the question... what story does Hydra Cap share with Ironheart? What story does Rogue share with a Spider-verser? Look for a story link in the last two packs, and we'll be closer solving the puzzle. 

42 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Also, they probably want to stay away from Planet Hulk since the Ragnarok Hulk is so similar. 

I thought that at first, too, but Ragnarok Hulk won't be available at LCS, so this would be a way for them to basically offer his movie look without infringing on the retailer exclusive figure.

Still, if we're getting a re-do, it's probably WWH Hulk.

22 minutes ago, elhonez said:

That's what I'm guessing. Although i should formally retract Destroyer Thor for Frog Thor, since apparently everything has been guessed already, and AFAIK Destroyer was never guessed.

I'm sticking with Allfather Thor, since IIRC Destroyer Thor and Frog Thor are classic, and this one is modern.

So:

Allfather Thor & Surtur (Ragnarok/Godbomb)

King Hulk & Red King (Planet Hulk)

Hydra!Cap & Ironheart (Secret Empire)

X-Man/Avenger & Spider-Verser (no idea)

Well I'm no good at this guessing game either it seems Miry. I'm getting stuck in the X-men and Spidey pairing... Zach can you confirm that is indeed how that two pack is set up? Drawing a total blank on what that one could be if it isn't Peter Parker.

Well the other though I had was that we have all the packs set up wrong and it isn't Planet Hill and Secret Empire we should be thinking about.

56 minutes ago, Chigarillo said:

Drawing a total blank on what that one could be if it isn't Peter Parker.

Miguel O'Hara, Anya Corazon, Kaine Parker, Ben Reilly, Jessica Drew, Ultimate Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, Ezekiel Sims, Gwen Stacy, MJ Watson, John Jameson, Billy Braddock, May-Day Parker, Ben Parker, Hobie Brown, Otto Octavius... there are unfortunately an infinite number of potential candidates.

The key, if I'm reading Zach's clue right, is finding the story.
Which is why a Hydra Cap / Ultimate Octopus is starting to sound like a stronger possibility.

Edited by Mirymate

1 hour ago, Mirymate said:

Which is why a Hydra Cap / Ultimate Octopus is starting to sound like a stronger possibility.

Think you are on to something there since it's a new villain and technically a spider verser that hasn't been made. 

That would leave use the X-men/Avenger pack which is a short list of possible mutants... Cyclops, Emma, Beast, Rogue, Wolverine, Havok, Sunspot, Canonball, and Storm?

Rogue and Ms Marvel?

Havok and Vulcan/Deathbird?

Cyclops and Doom?

Those would all fit the "great stories" clue I guess.

Man... I wish the term "recent" or "modern" wasn't in any of the clues... Binary Ms. Marvel vs BoEM Rogue would be an AWESOME two pack. 

binaryvsroguex.jpg

But alas, clues rule this one out... wish they didn't, but they do.

Miguel O'Hara, Anya Corazon, Kaine Parker, Ben Reilly, Jessica Drew, Ultimate Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, Ezekiel Sims, Gwen Stacy, MJ Watson, John Jameson, Billy Braddock, May-Day Parker, Ben Parker, Hobie Brown, Otto Octavius... there are unfortunately an infinite number of potential candidates.

I thought it was stated earlier in the thread that not only is the Spiderverser a non-Peter Parker but that it was also an unmade character as well. If so that would seem to exclude a bunch of those.

Which cuts the list down to- 

Anya Corazon, Kaine Parker, Ezekial Sims, John Jameson, Billy Braddock, Ben Parker, Hobie Brown, and to an extent Otto, depending on whether you'd count 

Spoiler

Otto's mind in new body he cloned from himself and Peter so he has his and Peter's powers as the

Ultimate Octopus as a new unmade character.

And before you start thinking I'm just a huge fan of the design, I'm not. But as minimates go, it's a two or three color design, mostly existing parts with a new back piece that'll hold four tentacles instead of three. Pretty "cheap" as minimates go. And if we're right and we're looking at some form of Green Scar vs the Red King, we will need some lower cost mates included to balance out the wave.

My heart wants some version of Kaine, or Miguel's new suit.

Spider-UK has appeal, but unless paired with another Spider-Man (who could fit the modern Avenger variant with his own spiffy new dudes) he doesn't make sense story pair wise.

I'd love a Superior Octopus. Say what you will about the sub-par Slott tenure and his treatment of Otto, but the costume is great (in my eyes at least, since I love the color scheme). Problem is, it's too new.It was revealed earlier this year, so I doubt that's it. I'd love to be surprised though...

Edited by Kostisfire

Which cuts the list down to- 

Anya Corazon, Kaine Parker, Ezekial Sims, John Jameson, Billy Braddock, Ben Parker, Hobie Brown, and to an extent Otto, depending on whether you'd count 

Reveal hidden contents

Otto's mind in new body he cloned from himself and Peter so he has his and Peter's powers as the

Ultimate Octopus as a new unmade character.

And before you start thinking I'm just a huge fan of the design, I'm not. But as minimates go, it's a two or three color design, mostly existing parts with a new back piece that'll hold four tentacles instead of three. Pretty "cheap" as minimates go. And if we're right and we're looking at some form of Green Scar vs the Red King, we will need some lower cost mates included to balance out the wave.

My heart wants some version of Kaine, or Miguel's new suit.

Spider-UK has appeal, but unless paired with another Spider-Man (who could fit the modern Avenger variant with his own spiffy new dudes) he doesn't make sense story pair wise.

Kaine seems doubtful just because they made a Scarlet Spider in the animated line that while it was Ben Reilly in the suit, it was Kaine's suit he was sporting complete with stingers.

My bet is on Anya Corazon or less likely Hobbie Brown (possibly in his Prowler uniform since i don't recall it being stated that the Spider-verser would be in a Spider themed costume)