UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 74

Dave

14 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Again, information I didn't have yet, my new friend.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a bit rude, it's hard to convey these things over the internet.

I don't think you were active when I signed up, but I'm familiar with your username from archive binges. It's good to have you back!

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not offended, Buff. And if I were better at archive binges, I'd have known all Zach's clues before I opened my yap.

So my new guess would be

Hydra-Cap

Superior Octopus

Iron Heart

Surtur

Hydra-pool

and a classic cosmic female alien that I will be ticked off with myself for not thinking of sooner.

42 minutes ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

Does Lady Death count?

She just goes by Death... maybe... yeah. I dunno... a personification of Death action figure... I think the biggest strike against right this second would be timing, with Hela, goddess of death coming out, then another different female avatar of Death in another wave... But she does fit the criteria.

39 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Does Lilandra count?

Lilandra... yeah she qualifies, she is alien, and classic, and female, I guess over the years I think of her more as an X-Men character than a "proper" cosmic character. Which is weird since I figure her sister Deathbird as more of a general cosmic villain. But the I did guess them earlier so why not now?

12 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Lilandra... yeah she qualifies, she is alien, and classic, and female, I guess over the years I think of her more as an X-Men character than a "proper" cosmic character. Which is weird since I figure her sister Deathbird as more of a general cosmic villain. But the I did guess them earlier so why not now?

I'd agree about consistently connecting her to the X-Men, but if it is possible, this would be my top choice for that slot

The hints we've gotten so far:

-three modern unmade Avenger variants (including a Thor)

-a modern unmade Avenger legacy character

-a modern unmade Avenger/X-Man variant

-a modern unmade Spider-Verse hero or anti-hero (not AU Peter Parker or an AU version of any previously made character)

-a classic unmade Asgardian villain who doesn't wear much

-a modern story specific unmade alien Hulk villain who wears a helmet and armor

Two of them are female, the unmade characters have no movie figures, two of the heroes have villainous leanings, three of the heroes are story specific, and two more heroes come out of a specific story and stuck around.

And Buff's (or do you prefer Buffalo?) guesses were

Hydra!Cap
young or unworthy Thor
Vision
Ironheart
Rogue
Spider-UK
Ulik
Gorr, the God Butcher

And two of them are right...

This is going to keep me up all night trying to figure this out, you know that right?

4 minutes ago, Heinous said:

That post just reminds of high school tests where you have to deduce everything and a stern reminder why I hate guessing at wave line ups 

Sorry, Heinous, but some of us love a good mystery.

Upon staring at my ceiling fan for what felt like hours last night, I think Buff's one of two correct guesses are unworthy Thor/Odinson.

It's been stated one of the Avenger variants is Thor. Key hint is modern, most of Thor's other  memorable story specific looks have either been made or are from decades ago. Only other recent unmade Thor would be Volstagg's "War Thor", but that might be too recent.

Back to thinking some version of Kaine is the Spider-verse character. I believe he changed identities again recently, with his brother being back.

And IMO the Asgardian is either Surtur or Ulik. And Ulik is probably wishful thinking on my part. Gor doesn't quite fit, because while he wears very little, he's not from the nine realms and is probably too recent to be considered classic.

Is Planet Hulk still considered recent? If so the Red King is a strong candidate.

The X-Man/Avenger is likely Rogue or Deadpool. Kinda sick of Deadpool variants, but I'm apparently in the minority.

HydraCap and Ironheart are both strong guesses, but if both are true then there's no solid Thor... unless you rebrand Odinson "HydrAvenger Thor" or something. And that feels like cheating.

Odinson does seem like the obvious candidate for a modern Thor variant, but apparently it isn't him, or young Thor:

On 6/25/2017 at 8:21 PM, DSTZach said:

You will get a Thor, just not one you mentioned.

I tend to think of anything past 1999 as "modern", but that's just me. Still, I can't think of many other recent Thor variants besides Allfather Thor (and maybe some Secret Wars Thors, but that seems unlikely). If he would count as both modern and a Thor, Ragnarok/Clor seems like the most likely option, IMO.

The only reason I can think of for making a modern Thor variant that isn't unworthy Odinson would be if he was getting released elsewhere, so he's my pick for the guess that was actually in TRU 24.

I'm gonna guess that the correct guesses were: Rogue & Ironheart. Ironheart b/c Zac revealed that one somewhere (although not specifically as W74).

I am feeling pretty strongly about Surtur & Red King being the villains. Which means a probable Planet Hulk to pack with Red King. And that leaves only two core Avengers variants, of which Ironheart is one. And we know "a Thor" is the other one. So far, then:

Planet Hulk / Red King

[Thor variant] / Surtur

Ironheart / [Spider-Verser]

"modern unmade legacy Avenger" / Rogue

In this lineup, either the spider-verser or the legacy Avenger could have villainous leanings, since Rogue fills the other slot. IIRC, Zac's definition of a "legacy Avenger" meant a former Avenger or perhaps a satellite Avenger, not a traditional Avenger. They've done a Swordsman. Vance Astro as Justice?

This list has:

-three modern unmade Avenger variants (including a Thor): Planet Hulk, Thor var, Ironheart

-a modern unmade Avenger legacy character: Vance Astro / Justice?

-a modern unmade Avenger/X-Man variant: Going with the prevalent wish/guess of Rogue

-a modern unmade Spider-Verse hero or anti-hero (not AU Peter Parker or an AU version of any previously made character): real talk: don't know, don't care

-a classic unmade Asgardian villain who doesn't wear much: Surtur

-a modern story specific unmade alien Hulk villain who wears a helmet and armor: Red King

Edited by elhonez

14 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

The hints we've gotten so far:

-three modern unmade Avenger variants (including a Thor)

-a modern unmade Avenger legacy character

-a modern unmade Avenger/X-Man variant

-a modern unmade Spider-Verse hero or anti-hero (not AU Peter Parker or an AU version of any previously made character)

-a classic unmade Asgardian villain who doesn't wear much

-a modern story specific unmade alien Hulk villain who wears a helmet and armor

Two of them are female, the unmade characters have no movie figures, two of the heroes have villainous leanings, three of the heroes are story specific, and two more heroes come out of a specific story and stuck around.

I have to say that although this wave is proving really challenging to guess, if there was a prize for being able to summarize where we are currently at you would get it so thanks for keeping it all in hand for us!  I'm reckoning people are getting pretty close with the last few guesses as Zach seems to have gone very quiet...

Experience tells me don't bet against elhonez being very close to right.

4 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Experience tells me don't bet against elhonez being very close to right.

I agree but as "Buff" says, ironheart would have to be in the "unmade legacy avenger" category so that still needs a different modern avenger variant I think.

Oh and I'm also glad to see you back and actively guessing even though we haven't really crossed paths much!

Welcome back Miry! And thanks for the vote of confidence, but BD is right to remind me of Zac's definition of "Legacy." I think it definitely disrupts my calculus. All I'd be willing to bet on at this point would be:

Surtur, "A Thor", Planet Hulk, Red King, Ironheart, "A Spiderverser"

I'll never be able to guess the modern iterations of Spider-people or Thor - alas, my days of keeping up with Marvel comics are past me. So that would still leave us to meet the following criteria:

• Another woman (may or may not be the Spiderverser)
  • 2x characters with "villainous leanings" (may or may not include the Spiderverser)
  • One more from BD's list (may or may not be Spider-UK, may be HydraCap, may be Rogue)
  • An X-Char who was/is also an Avenger

I suppose HydraCap would qualify as villainous leaning? 

Planet Hulk / Red King

[Thor variant] / Surtur

[unmade Avenger variant] / Rogue

There... adjusted elhonez's guess. And it still has two of Buffalo's guesses in there. 

Ya know, I'm going to show my age a bit here... but I still have trouble thinking of Hulk as an Avenger. For most of my prime comics reading years, he was much more frequently an Avengers opponent or a Defender than he ever was an Avenger. And then came the movie, and now he's suddenly a mainstay of the team he founded then stomped away from. Even when I thought of Red King, Hulk as unmade story specific Avenger variant never occurred. Of course now the Defenders are Avengers and the Defenders look more like the Heroes for Hire... but again, I am old...

And thanks, guys. Good to see you two too.

31 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Two large characters in a set is a pretty rare thing, right? Hulk and the Red King would seem to be a lot of plastic, and a lot of new parts, to be together.

Gladiator Hulk could share parts with his movie counterpart, and I could see DST reusing movie Hulkbuster limbs for Red King.

I can't think of anyone besides the Red King who fits the clues, and there's no way we'd get a Red King minimate without a Planet Hulk Hulk. It wouldn't cost any more to pack them together than not, if they're in the same wave.

I suppose it wouldn't cost more, it would just be unusual. I'm probably hung up on the fact that an accurate Red King in armor would be more like the power loader and less like Hulkbuster. I just don't think you can get very close without a lot of new parts, but I guess that wouldn't stop DST from doing it.

1 hour ago, Mirymate said:

Planet Hulk / Red King

[Thor variant] / Surtur

[unmade Avenger variant] / Rogue

There... adjusted elhonez's guess. And it still has two of Buffalo's guesses in there. 

Ya know, I'm going to show my age a bit here... but I still have trouble thinking of Hulk as an Avenger. For most of my prime comics reading years, he was much more frequently an Avengers opponent or a Defender than he ever was an Avenger. And then came the movie, and now he's suddenly a mainstay of the team he founded then stomped away from. Even when I thought of Red King, Hulk as unmade story specific Avenger variant never occurred. Of course now the Defenders are Avengers and the Defenders look more like the Heroes for Hire... but again, I am old...

And thanks, guys. Good to see you two too.

Ah, I knew there was a reason that I was glad you were back!  I have the exact same issues both with age and the hulk/avenger thing, having read my first comics in the late '70's when avengers were avengers and hulk was hulk. 

Truth be told the main reason I'm excited for this reveal is because it has the classic thor villain as that really hits my area of interest, although I'm always interested in any comic marvel reveal and the anticipation for this one has been building for a while.