UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ABCs Inhumans

One of the good things to come from studios other than Marvel owning big film properties like X-Men, F4 and Spider-Man is that we are getting to see things that might never have been produced otherwise. 
I can't imagine the push for things like Inhumans, Guardians of the Galaxy or possibly even Jessica Jones in a world where Marvel was pouring all it's efforts into the old money spinners.
I'm hoping that this turns out to be better than the trailer leads us to believe. I actually want the decisions Marvel has been 'forced' to take to pay off - ie: investment in 'other' franchises. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trailer is disappointing. I won't say it looks bad, but it looks like everything else we've seen before. I'm hoping that they'll break away from the paint by numbers way of telling a super hero story and take some risk, but nothing from this trailer motivates me to put money down for seeing it. At best, I'll check it out if it is released on Netflix.

I think the problem with Marvel trying to push properties like Inhumans that already doesn't have a big casual fan base or is divisive within the comic community because of the whole "replacing mutants" thing, is that for one it  looks like they just don't know what they're doing. (At least in my opinion). The effects are cheap- LockJaw doesn't even look like he has a tuning fork on his head it just looks like some flat piece of metal stuck on him. 

Trying to push these properties and then playing fast and loose might be what finally kills the whole superhero franchise. Marvel/Disney is probably gonna take a hit on this and it might cause them to reevaluate their whole strategy with these movies. Especially with Downey and Evans hanging it up soon. I'm a huge fan of Carol Danvers but even in the comics she struggles to hold a solo series, do any of us really see her leading the movies? Holland could but there's already immense support for "kill him after 3 movies, kill him, kill him" not to mention the whole Sony thing. Boseman could help lead it but he's already 40 so he might have another 10 years or so.

I don't know. Just worrisome cause I want more good comic entertainment and this just doesn't look good. I'm looking forward to series that could never happen otherwise like the defenders or even a midnight sons show and that won't happen if stuff like this tanks. 

So wait, you're worried we won't see obscure stuff like Defenders or Midnight Sons because Marvel is taking chances on... obscure stuff like Inhumans?

I feel like, by and large, Marvel doesn't really "take chances" any more; they are part of the Disney marketing juggernaut and are able to compel things through sheer force of corporate will to be exactly as successful as they need to be to recoup cost. Other than the Iron Fist critical grumbling, I can't think of any MCU projects that have made people ask "wow, do they have their head on straight with this?"  They tease stuff, people ask "is the magic going to work this time," then of course the magic works, because Disney is like a black hole that bends the laws of entertainment to itself. 

It'll be fine. Black Bold will blow some stuff up with his voice, Karnak will do some awesome kung fu shit, and everyone will be memeing Lockjaw and his non-tuning-fork tuning fork.  

48 minutes ago, Lobsterman said:

So wait, you're worried we won't see obscure stuff like Defenders or Midnight Sons because Marvel is taking chances on... obscure stuff like Inhumans?

I feel like, by and large, Marvel doesn't really "take chances" any more; they are part of the Disney marketing juggernaut and are able to compel things through sheer force of corporate will to be exactly as successful as they need to be to recoup cost. Other than the Iron Fist critical grumbling, I can't think of any MCU projects that have made people ask "wow, do they have their head on straight with this?"  They tease stuff, people ask "is the magic going to work this time," then of course the magic works, because Disney is like a black hole that bends the laws of entertainment to itself. 

It'll be fine. Black Bold will blow some stuff up with his voice, Karnak will do some awesome kung fu shit, and everyone will be memeing Lockjaw and his non-tuning-fork tuning fork.  

Like I said, a lot of other comic fans I know, around my age group, have their gripes about inhumans already. So not only is there no support from casual fans, there are comic book fans that don't care for the inhumans already because they're perceived as trying to replace the x-men. 

Im not complaining at all about them trying to make the inhumans into a show or movie, I guess I could why you thought that though. Of course them making b-c list movies is what I want, obviously. I was talking more so about the cheap looking special effects, bad costuming choices, just overall low budget look from a corporate juggernaut.

I want to see more comic related stuff on the TV but the shows look like their budget is not up to par. One of the main complaints of Iron Fist was that the budget couldn't even support showing Shou Lao. The Cloak and Dagger trailer looks like it'll focus on them becoming Cloak and Dagger, possibly to get out of using special effects as much as possible. Agents of Shield is about the only network show I can think of where it fits because they don't NEED as much of a budget. 

My main point was that it looks cheap and like not enough work went into it. I definitely get what you mean about Disney being "too big to fail" and of course I think they'll try to milk the superhero genre as much as they can or as long as it's profitable. The thing is that They're obviously skipping out on putting the money needed for this show and I think it'll bite them in the ass. 

I'll have to double-check the timeline but it's interesting that Marvel Studios decided to take Inhumans off their movie schedule and put it on television around the same time they allowed Fox to start putting X-Men shows on TV. I have to wonder which team will be replacing Inhumans in movie theaters and what concession Fox made to get approval to do Legion, et al.

ff46vfn.jpg

Nope. Inhumans was always a Pearlman pet project. It got pulled movie schedule the Kevin and Ron breakup happened. Which is the real rason that Disney doesn't want admit that the TV and movie side ignores each other. 

(Yes, you are correct sir. :whistling:)

• 2 months later...

Soooo... 

Anyone else actually go to the IMAX premiere? I work at a theater and so I saw it for free, but holy fuck man this was really damn bad. Like so baaaaaad. But strangely enough Black Bolt and Ramsay were intriguing enough that I'll probably finish it. 

However it's inexcusable how uninteresting everyone else is. Gorgon is a meathead stereotype. Medusa is too intense for her own good (pretty much a not-evil Cersei Lannister). Crystal is a block of wood and I still don't know what her power is. And Karnak is so boring I don't think they bothered to say his name. Puppy is a good puppy tho. 

Attilan looks like an Apple Store. 

This was stupid. 

But I wanna know how it ends. 

You've been the most positive of everyone I've heard from on this, @Trekker 42, by a long ways. "Cheap" is the word I hear most other than "Sucked". Like they didn't bother paying for sets, effects, or writers. 

10 hours ago, Mirymate said:

You've been the most positive of everyone I've heard from on this, @Trekker 42, by a long ways. "Cheap" is the word I hear most other than "Sucked". Like they didn't bother paying for sets, effects, or writers. 

Ohohohohohoh.. they fuckin didn't. Not even a little bit. Everything except sweeping grand shots of Hawaii (interesting setting not gonna lie) look intolerably awful. 

But dammit Black Bolt is so charming and Ramsay is so delightful. Rest of the cast can fuck right off, but I'm in for those two.

@MisterPL if this isn't part of the MCU then Agents of Shield isn't. One of the inciting factors of this show is Black Bolt sending Triton to gather the inhumans on earth that exist because of events of that show and bring them to Attilan so they can be protected. It's canon. 

Well Joss Whedon declared Coulson still dead in the movies (which was weird, since he directed the show's first episode), so AoS's status as anything more than ABC's elaborate fanfiction is questionable. (Yeah, he tried to walk it back, but not really) Right now there seems to be three separate universes- the MCU, the ABC shows, and the Netflix shows. The two TV universes acknowledge the movies, but not directly each other, the movies acknowledge no one. Shows on Freeform and Hulu will likely only complicate things.

The idea that it's one happy universe is a PR lie until proven otherwise.

The MCU definitely only goes in one direction. While we've had Sif and Fury appear on AoS, the films never reference the TV shows. Infinity War would seem to be a good opportunity to tie things together, even if it's just as a collage of news reports from around the globe using existing footage, but I doubt it'll happen. At least until Perlmutter is gone.

My expectations for an Inhumans feature film were through the roof. Now my expectations for the show are through the floor.

2 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Well Joss Whedon declared Coulson still dead in the movies...so AoS's status as anything more than ABC's elaborate fanfiction is questionable. (Yeah, he tried to walk it back, but not really)

Disney owns it all.  Joss directed 1 movie and 1 episode (?).   So I think that if Disney says the movies and ABC shows share the same universe, then they are; and Joss is the writer of fan fiction outside of his 1 movie and 1 episode (?).

Edited by JediJohnson

1 hour ago, JediJohnson said:

Disney owns it all.  Joss directed 1 movie and 1 episode (?).   So I think that if Disney says the movies and ABC shows share the same universe, then they are; and Joss is the writer of fan fiction outside of his 1 movie and 1 episode (?).

Two movies. He did Ultron too. 

Whedon's the one who brought Phil back! When asked why Coulson wasn't in the second Avengers movie, Joss explained he didn't have screen time to explain how he was suddenly undead.

There's a whole series of Marvel One-Shots for ya; Phil going from Avenger to Avenger and breaking the news.

3 hours ago, JediJohnson said:

Well he did write and direct both Avengers movies. He killed Phil in the first one, then ignored SHIELD still existed in the second. The movies do not acknowledge AoS, not even in passing, EVER. The Accords are so serious an issue in Civil War that half the Avengers are branded traitors, yet no mention of them is made in the Netflix universe, no government agents knocking on doors and demanding the Defenders register. No mention of the various SHIELD press conferences, no one mistakes Cage or Jessica for an Inhuman that presumably have been all over the news since the end of SHIELD season two when random people began transforming. For their part, AoS name drops every movie reference they can and tries to shoehorn themselves into the background of most major Earth based films. Only one, in the first season, did it feel organic. The rest... name drop here, name drop there, occasional guest spot. Heck... did they make GR register as a superhuman as dictated by the Accords? No. The movies are so connectedpoint it gets hard to remember whoes movie it actually is while watching. (was that Spider-Man v3#1 or Iron Man 4?) (speaking of which why isn't Peter registered? Because he's a minor?)

Disney can say "oh it's all connected", but until all parties act like it's all connected, it isn't. It's PR to gin up ratings.

Personally, I think things are consistent enough to consider the connectedness more than just PR. I don't want the movie equivalent of a recap page on everything to prove that they really fit together. I have zero interest in Daredevil and Foggy talking about the impact of the Accords on his vigilante status.

No, DD is still semi in the shadows. That would seem odd.

Luke Cage on the other hand is real public with his powers, and having real public brawls in Harlem. Somebody from General Ross's office should be knocking on Luke's door at the very least.