UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Netflix Marvel Defenders

Zylek

First trailer has dropped!  I'm SO glad it's only 8 episodes, it should feel like a tighter story.  I hope they drop the 13 episode thing for the individual seasons asafp.

Edited by Zylek

Am I the only one who's a bit aggravated that Marvel just tore the Defenders name from their history to associate with characters that have had little to nothing to do with the Defenders? Couldn't they've just called them "The Knights" to reflect their history with the Marvel Knights moniker? 

I totally agree with you on the 8 episodes thing. I love these Netflix series, but every single season feels slightly too long. They could have easily cut one or two episodes from both Daredevil seasons, and like 3 or 4 episodes from Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I am only 2 episodes into Iron Fist, so I can't really comment on that one.

2 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

Am I the only one who's a bit aggravated that Marvel just tore the Defenders name from their history to associate with characters that have had little to nothing to do with the Defenders? Couldn't they've just called them "The Knights" to reflect their history with the Marvel Knights moniker? 

I take it back. Luke Cage had a brief stint with them. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that the cosmic-y and extra-dimensional fun that the title represented is being discredited in place for what is essentially Marvel Knights minus Moon Knight. For now. 

According to Wikipedia, Iron Fist was an occasional member too, but he only really stayed around for the Heroic Age team.

I definitely agree with you, though, especially since we're getting a movie with Hulk, Valkyrie, and allegedly Doctor Strange. Even Thor would work as a substitute for Namor/Silver Surfer in an MCU Defenders team.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

According to Wikipedia, Iron Fist was an occasional member too, but he only really stayed around for the Heroic Age team.

I definitely agree with you, though, especially since we're getting a movie with Hulk, Valkyrie, and allegedly Doctor Strange. Even Thor would work as a substitute for Namor/Silver Surfer in an MCU Defenders team.

But Strange isn't supposed to be meeting up with Hulk or Valkyrie and Valkyrie isn't even really Valkyrie from what I can gather. She isn't the majestic Norse who has been one of my top 3 comic book crushes for years (Did I just say that out loud :wallbash:). I wouldn't mind Thor being a substitute for another member, however if the rumors of Namor's appearance later are true, we'd id say an actual Defenders movie wouldn't be far behind. 

5 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Iron Fist was in Fraction's Defenders team, which retconned itself from existence with the final issue, so technically...

My rationale exactly :D

It's kind of annoying that they're stealing the name, but on the other hand, it works for this team.  They're gonna do some defending after all.  It's great to see another hallway fight.  Some people might think it's becoming a cliche for Marvel Netflix, but I actually like it.  

3 hours ago, luke314pi said:

I totally agree with you on the 8 episodes thing. I love these Netflix series, but every single season feels slightly too long. They could have easily cut one or two episodes from both Daredevil seasons, and like 3 or 4 episodes from Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I am only 2 episodes into Iron Fist, so I can't really comment on that one.

Yes I'd like a floating number between 8 to 12 episodes.  If there is enough story for 12, great, if not, just do 8-10.  It seems like many limited series are running 10 episode seasons, like Expanse s1, Orphan Black, Game of Thrones etc.

• 3 months later...

It was so great. It's a damn shame we won't be getting the

five fingers

mates. I don't think that's a spoiler but oh well. 

I actually wish there had been more lead up. Them meeting each other was organic but it coulda been explored a bit more and I wish we coulda at least seen

Alexandra fight

but the show was pretty perfect. 

I finished the series last night. While I didn't have as many problems with the pacing of the other series (besides Jessica Jones) as some people I'd agree that this is very good on that point. There are some episodes where they kind of take a breath but it doesn't feel like stretching things out. The characters were true to what we've already seen and I liked the way they played off each other, Danny especially. I liked the overall plot though I think some of the details about the Hand and their plan feel a bit like a retcon, as in I'm sure what we saw onscreen isn't what they were thinking of in season one of Daredevil, assuming they had any real plans at all. The action is good even if it doesn't quite match the best of Daredevil.

I guess I understand DST skipping minimates for the show but it's a shame to miss out on so many villains.