UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Masters of the Universe Minimates!!!!!

I am so upset that the MotU minimates were a hoax. They looked so real and I was so hoping for them to be real.

Especially Orko.

• 5 years later...

Question for open debate/discussion:

Is the market too saturated with MOTU product at the moment for a hypothetical MiniMates line to be successful? Or would the broad exposure benefit and support a MM line?

Right now, there are: Masterverse figures, Netflix CG series figures, Origins figures, Mondo 12" collector figures, and Mega Construx product, as well as Reaction figures and the occasional Funko Pop (or other Funko format). 

id say between the massive amount of MOTU product i see hanging on pegs, some of which is being deeply discounted, and all the specialty product you mentioned  coupled with the  general dislike a lot of consumers have for MMs(if they are aware of them at all) they probably wouldn't do well.

1 hour ago, Mattallica said:

id say between the massive amount of MOTU product i see hanging on pegs, some of which is being deeply discounted, and all the specialty product you mentioned  coupled with the  general dislike a lot of consumers have for MMs(if they are aware of them at all) they probably wouldn't do well.

You have a point, but I can see a couple of packs going well enough in comic stores.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mattallica said:

When you say "general dislike" are you referring to some specific feedback you've seen/heard, or are you talking about "the market" i.e. referencing poor sales?

I'm always curious to learn what people don't like about MiniMates. Personally/among friends I've encountered a lot more ambivalence than active dislike.

whenever i read anyone mentioning MMs on any other site than this one, it is usually in a negative way, or gets a negative response.

everything from "those Lego like figures" to " i cant understand why anyone likes those" types of comments and of course the "Minimates? whats a minimates"

I cant really offer any insight as i usually just ignore the haters, but i have noticed those types of comments for years.

the Market speaks for itself, the fact that MMs are not being sold at Target, Walmart etc  as well as them being more often than not, not carried at comicbook stores and the like shows the general lack of interest/dislike for them.

Edited by Mattallica

On 7/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, Navaan said:

You have a point, but I can see a couple of packs going well enough in comic stores.

Oh sure there are always the ones that would do well at specialty shops to the "fans" but that number is so tiny that it wouldnt meet the MOQ needed to fund the line.

As a collector of Minimates I have often 'ridden' the light inoffensive abuse that my other collectables get from Minimate collectors.  Palz & kubricks are generally disliked by many , I accept that but it is odd when both lines have massive similarities (with minimates) & definitely inspired their creation.  Personally I (generally) detest Lego mini-figures but even I have one or two that I covet notably an SDCC Batman promo 2 set.  So I have always understood the ambivalence /dislike.

I've never bought a Minimate in a TRU, Target , Walmart or any other 'physical' store so ,for me, I just love being a collector of a such a niche product  .  What is hard to take is that for many many years the 'powers that be' seemed to relish the fact that Minimate collectors had to hunt for them rather than just buy them . That ,for sure, killed Minimate passion for many people here .....or that were here <_< 

I could go on and on about why I love MiniMates, but I'd be preaching to the choir.

It's interesting sometimes to muse about what might have helped Mates grab a stronger foothold/mindshare, or play armchair quarterback and game out scenarios to boost their profile, but for now I'm content that they are still coming out.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Navaan said:

Where did u get those parts?!?!?

I'm guessing some came from here https://www.shapeways.com/designer/keldor.

Search shapeways for minimates and you might find some more.

Edit: The actual minimates don't sort to the front of the search that well. There is also https://www.shapeways.com/designer/dava79. I believe this store is multiverser Dave who is still active here. Tons of cool stuff in this one!

Edited by cylonchaney

Yes, some came from Shapeways. The rest were random mates parts I had on hand.

The shields of Faker and He-Man, the sword of He-Man, the staff and cowl of Skeletor, the headdress and septor of Evilyn, the harnesses of He-Man, Man-at-Arms, Faker, Skeletor, Buzzoff's claws, the ax of Faker, Man-at-Arms' helmet, the serpent headdress and staff of Teela and several of the hip covers, and the helmet and jetpack of Stratos were all Shapeways.

The rest were various parts I repurposed.  Beastman is Sasquatch with a few different parts The wings I used for Stratos were form a Falcon mate as the wings that were available on Shapeways kept breaking. Clawful is parts from the Scorion BattleBeast mate. The head on Buzzoff is a lego head. The Wings I used for Buzzoff were I think from a Nissa mate.

• 1 month later...

I keep dreaminf about a set for the heroes and a set for the villains.

He-Man, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Orko, Battle Cat.

Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man, Trap Jaw, Triclops and Panthor.

Then could do two more sets.

Battle Armor He-Man, the Sorceress, Stratos, Roboto, and Ram-Man.

Battle Armor Skeletor, Faker, Webstor, Clawful, Mer-Man, and Whiplash.

They are still selling the Eternia Battleground Set on Mattel Creations online and I believe there are rumors floating around about a few more sets but it has been a slow trickle the last year or two. Nothing new since I'd say middle of last year or so I believe.

MOTU Minimates would go so very well with my Thundercats, TMNT, GIJoe, Transformers, D&D and Real Ghostbusters mates and then I just need heroes and villains box sets from SilverHawks and we will be cooking with my childhood 80s cartoon classics.

Although Id also take Bravestarr, COPS, Tigersharks, Voltron, Robotech, DotE, G-Force, Super Friends (Return of DC Mates) and MASK. Though that last one really screams for vehicles. Oh well, they are my dreams so bring it all on DST!

4 hours ago, jettstorm said:

They are still selling the Eternia Battleground Set on Mattel Creations online and I believe there are rumors floating around about a few more sets but it has been a slow trickle the last year or two. Nothing new since I'd say middle of last year or so I believe.

MOTU Minimates would go so very well with my Thundercats, TMNT, GIJoe, Transformers, D&D and Real Ghostbusters mates and then I just need heroes and villains box sets from SilverHawks and we will be cooking with my childhood 80s cartoon classics.

Although Id also take Bravestarr, COPS, Tigersharks, Voltron, Robotech, DotE, G-Force, Super Friends (Return of DC Mates) and MASK. Though that last one really screams for vehicles. Oh well, they are my dreams so bring it all on DST!

What ever he said, I second it!