UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Saw it. Loved it. Loved it's tone, loved that Tom could play both Spider-man and Peter, (Andrew was a good Spider-Man, Tobey a good Peter, but neither could do both well)

LOVED Keaton,

Spoiler

and especially loved that they didn't kill him.

Spider-sense thing didn't bother me, because I never understood exactly why it warned him about new people he already knew and mostly trusted learning his ID anyway.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Civil War again and Spidey appeared to have spider sense when he was fighting Falcon and WS.  Something was flying at him from behind and he seemed to sense it and duck before it hit.

13 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Probably because he was cocky and talking and was younger @TENIME_art. We've seen him dodge stuff from behind so I have no doubt he has it. Remember this a YOUNG spidey. It takes people years to master the first 5. Just my reasoning anyway. 

I agree with you, I wasn't complaining. I was just adding two cents in.

And as Stack said, it was way overused in the previous franchises. The Matrix influence was heavy with the slow down/move in (or out).

Spider-Man: Homecoming might be the worst Spider-Man movie ever. 

Spoiler

From the very start, I was groaning. Michael Giacchino's opening score sounded more like a different stab at another Star Trek film. Fortunately it gave way to a more appropriate theme later on but it was one that was only memorable for being so relentlessly repeated. 

Speaking of themes, Marvel Studios decided to use the tune from the old Spider-Man cartoon over its vanity logo. I hope like hell DC doesn't take this page from the Marvel Playbook to heart or we'll be hearing the theme from the 1966 series in front of the next Batman movie. Nostalgia might be a powerful drug but hangovers are a bitch. 

The cast does a fine job with what they're given which is essentially a John Hughes film in tights. And in case you don't catch that John Hughes vibe throughout the movie, they show a clip of a John Hughes movie to beat you over the head with Mjolnir. 

The cameos are both fun and frustrating. Chris Evans shows up as Captain America but in the worst costume he's worn. The one he wore in the USO tour would have been an improvement over this one from the first Avengers film. Gwenyth Paltrow shows up as Pepper Potts, Tony Stark's on again, off again, and apparently back on again girlfriend/fiancée(?). Jon Favreau reprises his role as Happy, now Tony's Peter-blocker, former Head of Security demoted to liaison for Stark's pet protege. 

Which brings me to my big problem with the film. Never mind changing MJ. Forget Flash Thompson being an academic bully. Ignore the fact that most of the cast seems to know Spider-Man's secret identity. The big problem is that Peter isn't Spider-Man as much as he's Iron Man 2.0. 

Peter's suit, a gift from weapons manufacturing gazillionaire Stark, has way too much tech. It's got a heads-up display, a built-in heater, and even a Siri-like assistant he calls "Karen." At one point the suit even lights up, briefly looking more at home in Disney's other CG suit franchise, Tron

Peter just has WAY too much help. It wasn't enough that he has spider powers and web-shooters. Filmmakers had to give him more gadgets than even Peter realized he had. Consequently the line between Peter's unique powers and the spider-themed suit's abilities is often blurred. Add the human voice in his ear (either his computer-savvy friend Ned or worse, the suit's overcompensating designer Stark) and you've lost Spider-Man and gone full Batman Beyond

In all fairness, a good chunk of the film does relieve Peter of his high-tech costume, forcing him to go back to basics in order to defeat his foe, the wonderfully wicked Michael Keaton. While that gave us a glimpse of the true hero under the mask, it didn't quite make up for the Stark Industries informercial that 80s tech giant Sony calls Spider-Man: Homecoming, even if it was a love letter to John Hughes. All it did was make me crave a real Batman Beyond film with Keaton As Bruce Wayne training his teenage successor.

Here's something few people are talking about: Who bought the Avengers tower; someone named Osborn or Baxter? I'm expecting the former but hoping for the latter.

Respectfully disagree PL. I get your complaints though but I love how this was an ENTIRE movie dedicated to what they glossed over in every other Spider-Man franchise. He's continuously getting the hang of his powers/what he can do in Homecoming. We get to see him do stuff I've only ever seen in the comics 

The difficulty of traveling in the 'burbs where there's not buildings to swing from was great to see. We also get to see him continuously try his hardest to help but come up short because he hasn't got the hang of it. Like with this Spider-Man and his naïveté I can get why JJJ has gained traction with calling him a menace. I definitely get your complaints about the suit for sure. I mean my favorite character is Ben and I'm pretty sure they just took his signature impact webbing and made it a stark invention, but I'll gladly support Holland as Spider-Man. He IS Spider-Man to me. I'm not ecstatic about some of the changes like everything tech or an MJ they don't call MJ, but I've already seen it twice and now trying to watch the Raimi Spider-Man is just difficult to do. I could watch this movie on a loop if only for that "come on Spider-Man" scene under the rubble.

also did they set up wrecking crew with damage control? 

the way stark said "it's above your paygrade" but then said it's below the Avengers' made me think they could be coming to the phase 2 of the Netflix shows after the Defenders happens.

we could finally get mates of them!

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

Saw this last night and really liked it. I could probably find some things to nitpick but the only things that stood out to me as negatives were Michelle and Flash. Stark probably would have come off a little better with a few more minutes of screen time. I love that this is definitely an MCU Spider-Man movie, I was afraid they would disconnect it a little to leave Peter on his own. I like the costume with its Stark upgrades, that feels like where Spider-Man ought to be if Marvel wasn't so obsessed with loser Parker and resetting his status quo. I appreciated seeing Peter make real mistakes and have to learn how to be Spider-Man. It was also nice to see high school kids played by actors that at least looked like they could plausibly (I know the main cast is a little older) be high school kids.

I mean just like Spider-Man 3 which was sony's biggest opening, yeah? With a big opening you should kinda expect a big drop afterwards, right? I mean millions of people go see your movie opening weekend and most don't go to rewatch it. So yeah, unless there's some business/financial reason that you should expect a movie to hold 100 million sales everyday for what seems like a ridiculously long time, the more money you make at first on a one time engagement type sale the more you should expect it to drop after the first few weeks. Bigger the opening the bigger the drop. Just common sense. 

Exhibitors prefer movies with legs because they make little to no money on opening weekend from ticket sales. (That's why concessions cost so much.) Most of that initial take goes back to the studio. It's in the following weeks that the split becomes more equitable. If theater owners don't believe a movie will draw enough crowds, they'll replace it with one they think will. 

Unlike Spider-Man 3 this movie's getting generally good word of mouth but it's still only got the third-highest debut behind Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man. (Moviegoers love reboots. Who knew?) It looks like franchise fatigue is setting in. Maybe Sony's right to focus on spinoffs that don't feature the web-slinger for a while.

Everything I've read says it's the second biggest. Behind Spider-Man 3. At 117 mil domestic. Also I think this series needs to show its continuing to garner more views for the sequel. If Spider-Man 3 was a higher grosser than the 2002 it could be because fans were invested. So if this Spider-Man makes it to 3, 4, 5 much like Harry Potter the hype will carry them to bigger numbers.  

Yeah, a big opening weekend like the one Spider-Man 3 enjoyed just means fans were eager for more. After his appearance in Civil War, the same could be said of this movie.

It could be like Batman Begins, where a solid reboot like this stops the hemorrhaging and the next installment really turns things around. It's doing fine overseas. After less than two weeks in theaters, it's covered its production budget.

That said it's got a long way to go to hit the profit the first one made ($229.3 million). The Amazing Spider-Man 2 only made $89.8 million at the box office for Sony and Marvel. That's the number I think it needs to beat. So far it's at about a $35.4 million profit but I'm not sure how Disney's splitting this with Sony.

Blame Sony. Everyone I know who went to see it loved it. But I'd say a full third of the aging comics nerds that make up my circle are convinced that Sony will pull Spider-Man back to being their exclusive character and have no interest in investing the MCU if it's going to be so short lived. Of course, nearly half of them are Marvel haters who thought BvS was an underrated tour-de-force in filmmaking that the mind-numbed masses fail to recognize and every Marvel movie of the Disney era is somehow tainted by the mouse. And a growing number of people are not going to the movies anymore in general, and just wait for it to stream.

I suspect someone is working toward Columbia having THEIR Spider-Man while Marvel Studios has another. Let's face it; the changes made to the lore – from "MJ" and Flash to the deliberate lack of any spider-sense – would have been far less popular had they been implemented by Sony and not Marvel.  This movie got a lot right but it took some surprising creative liberties as well.

Infinity War and the events thereafter could be used to hit a giant reset button for the MCU. I'm eager to find out how it impacts Spidey.

They keep swearing no reboot is coming, and for Marvel's sake, I hope they are right.

The geek community is used to retcons, and reboots. The general movie audience not so much. In fact reboot fatigue may be an unmentioned factor in Homecoming's under performance the second weekend. TV has conditioned folks to the idea of a long ongoing story. We're even conditioned to casting shakeups, characters disappearing, then reappearing recast. But total reboot? That'll blow up in their faces. My wife, who is pretty comics savey after 23 years of our being a couple, completely lost interest in the Flash at the beginning of this season with the "altered timeline" idea. She didn't make it to the Alchemy reveal or Savitar or any of the other disappointing elements. Sister-in-law lost interest when alternate Earths came into play last year. Comic characters may be more prominent than they've ever, but there's just for far down the rabbit hole the general audience is willing to go.