UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

16 hours ago, stack32 said:

Spider-Man is never going to be on Netflix. They can barely manage the budget to do Daredevil justice. 

Ike Perlmutter is notoriously frugal. His successor might have other plans. Columbia doesn't have TV rights so that's not an issue. Spidey will only be on TV in animated form for as long as there are movies raking in the big bucks. Then again, Sony's next Spider-Man film is animated and features Miles so you never know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Sony's recent shenanigans have put a considerable damper on my enthusiasm for this movie.
Why invest in this version of the character that Sony is so eager to reclaim and inevitably reboot?

I sort of feel this way, mainly cause there's so much talk of replacing Pete and ending his story too soon, but I'm gonna go see it  and try to enjoy it since it's on my birthday, and support the movie. 

I just plan on boycotting any Sony-verse movies. Their plans to have venom without Spider-Man automatically make it straight up worse than any of fox's F4 films to me. No Spider-Man fan would ever try to make some bs like that happen. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

Well, and movie studios' primary concern with adaptations are bringing in new audiences who know nothing about the property. The problem with trying to introduce Spider-Man characters in their own movies before giving them proper introductions in his movies, new audiences won't care as much than if they did it a more logical way.

Edited by TENIME_art

Making a Venom (or Black Cat or Silver Sable) movie without Spidey is like making a Catwoman flick without Batman. I'm not saying Spider-Man has to be a co-star but he should have as much screen time as Batman did in Suicide Squad to establish they're in the same universe. They don't even have to meet. Show Spidey on TV. Just don't exorcise him altogether.

I think it's a real testament to the success of Marvel Studios that everyone else is so desperate to copy them that they'll make nonsensical decisions if they think they can get a shared universe out of it. Maybe they made it look too easy?

I think you could actually make a really nice Venom origin movie without ever showing Peter Parker or Spider-Man (or having him appear like Batman and Flash in Suicide Squad). Granted, it would probably be more of an "Eddie Brock" movie but I think showing him as a reporter working on the Sin-Eater case and finally exposing the "killer", only for Spidey to prove him wrong could work really well. They wouldn't have to show Spider-Man, but they would definitely have to acknowledge his existence.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Making a Venom (or Black Cat or Silver Sable) movie without Spidey is like making a Catwoman flick without Batman. 

Making a movie about a female mercenary forced to work with a female thief works as a story whether or not Spider-Man is ever mentioned. It's another variation on the "odd couple buddy cop movie" that Hollywood cranks out three of every year. It will be Spidey free, and utterly forgettable.

Venom... if you cannot acknowledge Spider-Man, then large parts of Venom don't make sense. Unless you jettison so many Spider-Man influenced elements, like the eye and chest designs, the wall crawling, the "webbing" and "web slinging" that the character is unrecognizable as Venom. And why make Venom is you have no way to bring him into contact with Spider-Man for 4 years? Because Disney won't make R rated hero movies like Deadpool and Deadpool made money, so we need an R rated superhero movie to, because clearly people want that now? Really? 

But I'm just a poor silly fan and they're high powered movie people who know what they are doing. They can make these all they want, I can vote with my dollar.

23 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

But I'm just a poor silly fan and they're high powered movie people who know what they are doing. They can make these all they want, I can vote with my dollar.

Much like Fox. Sony has no idea how to handle their superhero properties. They don't seem to have Superhero fans in charge. Despite Suicide Squad I can get on board with DC cause I at least know snyder is a fellow fanboy who just tries to over jampack his movies with stuff. Same with Feige. But Singer? Pascal? Casuals. Probably couldn't hold a conversation about a popular arc. That's also a reason I disliked Burton's Batman. 

Movie execs.

Remember, any movie, tv show, or even a commercial... someone convinced a room full of people that it was a good idea to do that, and they gave that someone the money to do it.

Unfortunately... once people give you money, they expect to have some say, which is how you get the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Spider-Man 3 and the Fantastic Four reboot.

Personally, I don't care if a director is a lifelong fan of a hero or comics in general, so long as they can make a good movie and treat the characters with respect (something I think Marvel's setup guarantees). In some ways I might even prefer that over a crazy fanboy director. Still, banning comics from the set and discouraging actors from doing research is pretty ridiculous.

58 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Personally, I don't care if a director is a lifelong fan of a hero or comics in general, so long as they can make a good movie and treat the characters with respect (something I think Marvel's setup guarantees). In some ways I might even prefer that over a crazy fanboy director. Still, banning comics from the set and discouraging actors from doing research is pretty ridiculous.

Hiring a fanboy of the material can be dangerous too. Aside from a different twist ending, Synder did as loving and straight panel to screen adaptation of any comics movie as I've ever seen with Watchman... and it still didn't make for a good movie.

18 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Wait, why can't we invest in Tom Holland? Aren't there gong to be Two more Holland movies? And Infinity War?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15793892/spider-man-homecoming-trilogy-tom-holland-marvel-sony

Last I had heard before that article, Zach, was that Infinity War and a second Spider-Film was all Sony had agreed to and they were waiting to see how Venom did to make up their minds on a further partnership. It was part of either the Venom or Silver and Black announcement.

Saw the movie last night and it was a pitch perfect young Peter Parker film to me.  Holland was fantastic and conveyed a great range from goofy to dramatic.  Sony would be dumb (which they often are) to not keep this partnership going.

I thought it was a very fun movie. They really nailed the "young" part which was very refreshing. No spoilers, but a scene that takes place in a building towards the end really shows how young this character is. His first reaction to the situation came across perfectly. It was the perfect reaction for THIS Spider-Man. His interaction with established mcu characters was handled well and not overbearing. I also really dug the realistic aspect of how this guy gets around.

I went into this movie with no expectations and came out very satisfied. I would definitely recommend it.

This was just about as perfect a Spider-Man movie as could be for me. Holland IS Spider-Man to me. We got a whole movie of a very realistic young Spidey. So much of what gets glossed over in the last two origin stories gets expanded on here. You get to see him develop as Spider-Man and it's glorious. 

A few questions for others who have seen this and my ONLY Criticism(s) spoilers

I thought Keaton was great as Toomes but how'd you feel about them completely changing characters like Liz and Ned? Ned seems like a replacement to Harry kinda? Maybe they'll have Harry come and actually be kinda eh with Peter and then as their relationship grows it'll make Ned estranged with Pete and he'll become Hobs after Norman becomes The regular goblin?

and what about "Michelle" MJ like what the heck? If they're gonna have it be MJ why not keep her regular name and have her hair red? Like MJ was smart as heck in the ultimate comics but why not just give her the name it seems dumb and it's the only thing I really dislike about this movie. Legacy MJ now? Lol

Okay. I'm seeing the movie tonight.

But I can't help but feel like I've put all my eggs in one basket. 

I've gotten the Vulture and Shocker 2-packs. And just last night, i bought the last Spider-Man collector cup form my work (A movie theater), AND the Stark Suit Marvel Legend.

Phew, I hope I love this movie.

If he had his spider-sense 2 characters that discover his secret identity in the movie would never have done so because he would have sensed the "danger" of taking off his costume, it's like having Superman without flight or Wolverine with no claws... very dumb indeed

Spoilers but this is about the Spider sense and how I see it @winkerbean @Gmonkey2k @stack32

So the way I see it is is that his Spider sense registers THREATS. Ned (as of this movie) and Aunt May are two people in his life that would NEVER cause him harm so his spidey sense didn't go off. Also he could still be getting used to his Spider sense feeling, low level threats may not feel the same way and so he doesn't know the feeling. Obviously he has it because we have seen him dodge stuff from behind. 

Im more upset that they didn't just call Michelle Mj. Like just call a rose a rose. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider