UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So apparently Sony might pull Spidey out of the MCU after Homecoming? A lot of Comic pages and sites have been reporting on it. It seems like a boneheaded move. I want a Harry Potter esque saga of Pete and Sony hasn't had a good track record. They're trying to full steam ahead with this venom movie when who knows if they'll even do the origin right. 

Edit: it's funny to title the movie Homecoming when Sony just wants to pull the rights back from marvel after marvel boosts the popularity for them. It's like "thanks for the morale boost we'll be more than happy to coast on your name, now". 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the video that comment came from: https://youtu.be/lHWAZjbRsOg

Honestly, it seems to me that Pascal just doesn't know how to communicate effectively during an interview, and people are taking her words way out of context. If this is true, though, my hate for Sony will reach new, never-before-seen heights.

Edited by CBMM1

She says "May never happen again--except of course for the sequel."  I think Spidey's safe where he is, I think she's just saying it's unlikely a similar deal would be occurring for any other characters (i.e.  Marvel and Fox teaming up to do the FF).

The Spider-Man film franchise has been trending downward since the beginning. Amazing Spider-Man 2 grossed half what Raimi's Spider-Man did domestically in unadjusted dollars. Despite that, it's still Sony's top property. They won't let it go to focus on Men in Black, Ghostbusters, or the Jumpstreet movies.

Marvel Studios helped them get Spidey's groove back with Civil War. Robert Downey Jr. is a terrific box office draw as Tony Stark so having him appear in Homecoming is a huge plus. However this is temporary. It's not like the Hulk deal with Universal that doesn't allow the Green Goliath to appear in solo films. Marvel has to work with Sony if they want to keep using Spider-Man in their MCU. Otherwise, eventually Sony will take their web-slinger and go home.

Sadly, the best thing that could happen in terms of getting Spidey away from Sony is for Homecoming to fail but I doubt anyone, even Disney, wants that. After all, they've got merchandising rights and if the film underperforms, so will the product.

I'm more interested in what the narrative will be when Spidey suddenly disappears from the MCU. Will Peter be dead or just vacationing in "Tahiti" or will his absence simply be ignored? I can see them killing him off after three or four features and replacing him with Miles or Gwen while Peter "lives on" in the alternate reality that is Columbia Pictures. (Holy brand confusion, Batman.)

Ideally I'd love to see a deal where Sony gets to make animated Spider-Man movies while the live-action wall-crawler gets a TV series. I think Spidey would thrive on television.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Sadly, the best thing that could happen in terms of getting Spidey away from Sony is for Homecoming to fail but I doubt anyone, even Disney, wants that. After all, they've got merchandising rights and if the film underperforms, so will the product.

Wow. I just found out I may have given Disney far too much credit there.

It would appear that Marvel has directed my company – a Marvel licensee with rights to all things Spider-Man – to not offer product from Homecoming. They instead want us to offer product based on the cartoon, which of course is produced by Disney, not Sony.

So it seems Disney's beginning to use the same petty tactics against Sony that it's been implementing against Fox.

No offense meant PL, but I really think people are looking for things to panic about on this one.  Most of this worry was generated by an off-hand comment by one person in an interview, and it's a comment that can be taken more than one way.  I'm of course not privy to the details given to licensees, but there's hardly going to be a shortage of Homecoming product this summer.  I know there are some oddities with how things are packaged, which doesn't allow MCU and Spidey characters to be together unless under specific circumstances (hence Spidey only being in the big multi-pack for Civil War and Iron Man only being in a two-pack for Homecoming).  It's possible they're trying to avoid potential issues should a licensee want to do something with Spider-Man and Iron Man for instance.  If they use Disney's in-house product, there are no issues, but if they use Homecoming, there are extra hoops to jump through.  I can also see Disney not wanting their take on Spider-Man to be totally overlooked in favor of Sony's.

The point is, I think it's a bit early to start worrying.

Edited by Glantern

Understood, but that's what they said about Disney vs. Fox re: Fantastic Four & X-Men. Prior to the acquisition, Marvel played nice but since Disney bought them things have been very different.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Homecoming merchandise, too, but my point is there'd be even more if not for Disney (via Marvel) telling some licensees to focus on their cartoon instead of the competition's movie. Granted, they may simply not want to oversaturate the market like they seem to do with every new Spider-Man movie. Maybe they've learned a lesson.

That said, I'm thinking there's a very good reason why Sony's new Spidey-suit is significantly different in appearance than previous cinematic costumes. Every impression that suit makes on consumers not only helps Disney's bottom line at retail but Sony's at the box office and on home video. That's good for Disney since Marvel has all merchandising rights but the Mouse House has never been one to help their competition in any way.

We'll see how long a licensee like Hasbro gets to milk this movie compared to past Spider-films. I expect a relatively short window.

I hope the Venom movie they're trying to push bombs. You can't have Venom origin without Pete. It just doesn't work. I think if Sony would just attempt to work with Marvel everyone would win. They could start with a Silver Sable movie and have Tom Holland Spidey in it and go from there and he could be a bridge between it for more crossover and more Holland. I want this Spidey to last and if there's one company I trust to make decent films to milk the money out of people it's Disney. 

Wasn't there talk that Sony was thinking of getting out of movies altogether when ASM 2 disappointed?

I do think it's too early to panic but even making a comment that could be interpreted incorrectly is a dumb move. Add that to the rumors about movies with other Spider-Man characters and it really makes me wonder if anyone at Sony knows what they're doing. Marvel gave them a great deal, the rare actual win-win scenario. All they need to do is sit back and let Marvel do the hard work while they collect the (slightly diminished) money. It's hard to believe even Hollywood could screw that up.

Under Marvel Studios' creative direction, I have very high hopes for Homecoming. I expect a fun film in the flavor of Marvel's tried and true formula; good guy vs. evil doppelgänger.

Still, reportedly casting Tony Revolori as Flash Thompson smacks of a bit of corporate sabotage, especially if Disney knew Sony was hoping to launch a Venom franchise. That could be why they're taking him out of the Spider-Man universe entirely.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Under Marvel Studios' creative direction, I have very high hopes for Homecoming. I expect a fun film in the flavor of Marvel's tried and true formula; good guy vs. evil doppelgänger.

Still, reportedly casting Tony Revolori as Flash Thompson smacks of a bit of corporate sabotage, especially if Disney knew Sony was hoping to launch a Venom franchise. That could be why they're taking him out of the Spider-Man universe entirely.

I Wanted purple tracksuit, jock flash from TAS. What it looks like I got is a guy that can get physically bullied by Peter. 

I'm not entirely convinced Revolori is playing Flash but if he is, this is a pretty clever way for Disney/Marvel to undermine an attempt by Sony to have a cohesive Spider-Man universe on their own. That casting might be what forced them to take Venom in a completely different direction.

Maybe this Flash will bully Peter academically. After all, Holland is two inches taller.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Oy can't go on Facebook without people trying to talk about rushing Pete's story to get to Miles. Is it too much to ask for 6 or so solo movies first?

As much as I love Miles, you are absolutely right; Sony, or Marvel or whoever is producing the Spider-man movies needs to establish Peter Parker first. That's partly why Miles became so popular in the Ultimate Comics; he was fulfilling a legacy of sorts, after people that read Ultimate Spider-man for 100 plus issues had become well accustomed to the Ultimate Peter Parker, they could then latch onto his charisma and power-set (plus more) in a fresh (yet familiar) character.

Like give him a long series of solo movies 6 even. Holland is totally young enough! And then have Miles take over after like a movie or two of them together! Please everyone and then have an emotional farewell like Logan and then boom. Then we could have stuff like like new avengers? The Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander, Miles team. And go cosmic hopefully by then with Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four. 

People already know Pete's story. After all, it was the fans lamenting another origin story after they heard Marvel Studios was recasting and ditching the Amazing storyline.

I love the idea of having Miles around, just like Rhodey in Iron Man, so that if/when it's time to pass the torch, it's to a character who didn't suddenly show up.

Besides, Peter's going to be busy in Infinity War. Someone's gotta stay behind and watch the neighborhood.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

People already know Pete's story.

Well if it was simple as that I'd never read another comic book again and save money and skip infinity wars because I already know the story XD 

just cause I know his story doesnt mean I don't want to see him take on villains we've never seen on the big screen. Stuff like Kraven, a good Green Goblin movie (I didn't care for Dafoe's costume), a good rhino. We've never had the opportunity of this many Pete films and I just hate that it might be cut short. I definitely think Miles after makes sense. Of course you make a good point about introducing him early but I wanna get my Pete too lol. 

Spider-Man is never going to be on Netflix. They can barely manage the budget to do Daredevil justice.

Wouldn't Miles have to be a young kid? No thanks. I'd much rather have the little bit of Parker we can get before Sony finds a way to screw this up.

2 hours ago, stack32 said:

Spider-Man is never going to be on Netflix. They can barely manage the budget to do Daredevil justice.

Wouldn't Miles have to be a young kid? No thanks. I'd much rather have the little bit of Parker we can get before Sony finds a way to screw this up.

I finally want to see Pete grow up on screen. We have high school, and I hear at least another movie will be too. Why not at least 2 more college movies and another one or two after. Then bring Miles in? That just seems like a win all around. 

Sony's recent shenanigans have put a considerable damper on my enthusiasm for this movie.
Why invest in this version of the character that Sony is so eager to reclaim and inevitably reboot?