UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Dark Tower

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Dark Tower books (especially the first 4), so I am pretty excited for these. If you guys ever get a chance to listen to the audio books, the reader who does the first 5 books, Frank Muller, is incredible. He makes a great series even better. Unfortunately he was not able to finish the series due to a terrible motorcycle accident. 

1 hour ago, luke314pi said:

I love the Dark Tower books (especially the first 4), so I am pretty excited for these. If you guys ever get a chance to listen to the audio books, the reader who does the first 5 books, Frank Muller, is incredible. He makes a great series even better. Unfortunately he was not able to finish the series due to a terrible motorcycle accident. 

He really is phenomenal, I always enjoy stumbling across him as a reader when I get into another audiobook. George Guidall who finished out the series is also terrific, it seems weird to knock him down a peg at all...but man, Frank, it's like the equivalent of Jim Dale not being able to finish out the Harry potter books, really sad. 

3 hours ago, JRSly said:

He really is phenomenal, I always enjoy stumbling across him as a reader when I get into another audiobook. George Guidall who finished out the series is also terrific, it seems weird to knock him down a peg at all...but man, Frank, it's like the equivalent of Jim Dale not being able to finish out the Harry potter books, really sad. 

Or when anyone but James Marsden is Harry Dresden. I feel ya. 

• 3 months later...

Just like MisterPL, I really know nothing about the book, but the movie trailer I saw the other day definitely piqued my interest.  Probably not enough buy the Minimates or even see the movie in theatres, but it did look kinda cool.

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

Is this another example of all the characters in the boxset also being available at TRU? That can't be great for LCS sales.

This is a very interesting question. I guess I missed the whole Watchmen Box Set  being re-released as TRU two packs, but I was pretty bummed out when I saw it. I bought two Watchmen box sets. After shipping, each one of those sets was more than $10 more than getting the corresponding sets from TRU. Maybe every once in as while that's not too bad if there are army builders or something like that involved, but it's really just wasted money. I don't mind spending an extra dollar or two here and there to "shop local", (or smaller business from a different part of the country), but $10 per box set is just too much for me to take a stand on supporting small business vs. corporations. At that point it's a stacked deck that DST is dealing in TRU's favor. Which is perfectly fine if that's what they want to do, but they have to see that box set sales will dip if there's a significantly cheaper alternative.

In this case it cost me more than $20 extra. That's a Star Wars 6" figure, or most of a DCC BtaS figure, etc... Just doesn't make a lot financial sense, and is something I'm going to pay more attention to going forward.

I'm wondering if the pack pairing is how they're grouped in the display. 

At least with Watchmen, I was able to get the box, and one 2-pack to complete the set.

But if those pairings are right, then I'm going to end up with an extra MiB & Jake to get their pack mates. :confused:

1 hour ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I guess it's irrelevant if your TRU didn't stock these, but does anyone really want 2/3 of the main cast?

That's the other thing, you're basically forcing your customers to go to TRU anyway. If I have to make the trip then why pay the extra money? Maybe for Dark Tower it would work but it definitely did not make sense for Watchmen.

TRU makes most Minimates possible. Without TRU exclusives, we'd probably all be sitting here thinking how cool it would be to have Dark Tower Minimates.

I think the 2-packs were chosen to put a strong character in each pack. I have yet to see the blonde in a trailer. Sorry if you have to get doubles of anyone. There's a lot of good custom fodder there

• 2 weeks later...