UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kong: Skull Island

MisterPL

I've been a fan of King Kong for as long as I can remember.

My first exposure was probably watching King Kong vs. Godzilla on TV followed by seeing the original 1933 film but I have fond memories of going to Dino DeLaurentis' 1976 remake. (That's where I fell in love with both Rick Baker's rubber monkey skills and that new starlet named Jessica Lange, but I digress...) Circumstances wouldn't allow me to see Peter Jackson's version on the big screen so I made a point of getting to see Kong: Skull Island while it's still in theaters.

And I'm not quite sure where I stand on it.

I really want to like it, of course. It had plenty of fun parts but felt at times like it was trying to ape Aliens, from the premise to the banter between the soldiers. The visual effects were stunning but the monster designs just didn't feel right. Kong's proportions were too human, like they were consciously trying to make him look like a guy in an ape suit. A really good ape suit but he certainly wasn't the gorilla that Jackson's was. On the other hand, the antagonizing beasts seemed too foreign, like something realized from discarded concept sketches for Beetlejuice

The main cast was fine but I couldn't find myself rooting for any of them with the exception of John C. Reilly's character. I was waiting for any of them to stand out but Reilly's was the only one who did. On a side note, it was interesting to see so many Marvel movie alumni – six by my count – in a movie produced by Warner Bros.

One other nitpick: as someone who spent an entire decade in the 70s, the movie might have been better off and much more authentic if Brie Larson's character hadn't worn a bra.

Out of five, I think I'll give it :banana::banana::banana:

I know of it and recall giving it an instant pass upon learning the title. Nothing I saw or read compelled me to have anything to do with that movie. Maybe if I were a drinker I'd give it a shot but from the synopsis in the link, it sounds far worse than what I saw last night.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:08 PM, MisterPL said:

I've been a fan of King Kong for as long as I can remember.

My first exposure was probably watching King Kong vs. Godzilla on TV followed by seeing the original 1933 film but I have fond memories of going to Dino DeLaurentis' 1976 remake. (That's where I fell in love with both Rick Baker's rubber monkey skills and that new starlet named Jessica Lange, but I digress...) Circumstances wouldn't allow me to see Peter Jackson's version on the big screen so I made a point of getting to see Kong: Skull Island while it's still in theaters.

And I'm not quite sure where I stand on it.

I really want to like it, of course. It had plenty of fun parts but felt at times like it was trying to ape Aliens, from the premise to the banter between the soldiers. The visual effects were stunning but the monster designs just didn't feel right. Kong's proportions were too human, like they were consciously trying to make him look like a guy in an ape suit. A really good ape suit but he certainly wasn't the gorilla that Jackson's was. On the other hand, the antagonizing beasts seemed too foreign, like something realized from discarded concept sketches for Beetlejuice

The main cast was fine but I couldn't find myself rooting for any of them with the exception of John C. Reilly's character. I was waiting for any of them to stand out but Reilly's was the only one who did. On a side note, it was interesting to see so many Marvel movie alumni – six by my count – in a movie produced by Warner Bros.

One other nitpick: as someone who spent an entire decade in the 70s, the movie might have been better off and much more authentic if Brie Larson's character hadn't worn a bra.

Out of five, I think I'll give it :banana::banana::banana:

6? I only know of Hiddleston, Larson, Jackson, and Reilly. 

12 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

6? I only know of Hiddleston, Larson, Jackson, and Reilly. 

Toby Kebbell played Victor Von Doom in Fox's last Fantastic Four flick. Corey Hawkins appeared as a Navy Op in Iron Man 3.

11 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Technically, Larson isn't even an alumnus yet.

She's currently filming the role. I suppose they could cut her out like they did with Mary Jane in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 but I doubt they will.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

Toby Kebbell played Victor Von Doom in Fox's last Fantastic Four flick. Corey Hawkins appeared as a Navy Op in Iron Man 3.

She's currently filming the role. I suppose they could cut her out like they did with Mary Jane in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 but I doubt they will.

There is no Fant4stic. 

Do not speak of it. 

3 hours ago, Kostisfire said:

I like Kebbel, he's a good actor. That said, Fant4Stic's Vic was in no way, shape or form, "Doom". It's sad when the most faithful adaptation of the character is the Corman version...

I will defend the Josheph Culp's Dr. Doom to my dying day.  That dude is the best version of the character ever to grace the screen.  If only they'd re-dubbed his lines so you could actually understand words other than "DOOOM!!!"

I generally like the Corman version of F4. It's definitely the most faithful.

As for Kong, I LOVED it. Best movie I've seen in the theater in ages.

I loved that Kong was like the RKO Kong and more like a man-ape than the generic oversized gorilla of Peter Jackson's snoozefest. 

Plus the ending of this movie was great. And while John C Reilly stole the show, I thought Jackson was great and Loki was decent. It was a large cast, but I generally felt for most of the guys, even if I didn't learn their names or they didn't have much of an arc. There were definitely guys you were rooting to survive.