Alien: Covenant Series 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/14/2017 at 9:23 PM, Roccothegreat said:

IMG_2920.jpgIMG_2921.jpg

package shots from Instagram. 

Liking the package and excited for these mates. Even though I didn't love the movie. It wasn't horrible . Hopefully we get a directors cut. 

I assumed this was from someone finding them in the wild. *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up the TRU exclusives today, like the Chestburster in the LCS wave, the Toddler Neomorph comes with the wrong stand, they both have a smaller peg hole in their feet that won't fit the included normal stands.  

I *was* planning on army-building the Xeno/Translucent Xeno 2-pack, but after opening them up I'm content with just the one pack.  The scaled back tooling on the Covenant xenos is pretty disappointing, especially after all of the multi-piece tail tooling of the Alien/Aliens xenos.  The tails on the Covenant xenos look like they are scaled too small.

Also, the design of the neck joints on the Convenant xenos is disappointing, where the Alien/Aliens xenos have a ball joint that allows lots of nuanced posing, the Covenant xenos necks are sculpted to the head, so the range of motion is extremely limited.

Overall, I guess getting them is better than not getting them, but overall I feel like the Covenant line was more of a filler wave while DST tried to determine where they were going next with the Aliens line, and I really hope the scaled down tooling isn't a sign of things to come for the next releases.

Edited by youbastards

On 9/1/2017 at 2:33 PM, youbastards said:

I picked up the TRU exclusives today, like the Chestburster in the LCS wave, the Toddler Neomorph comes with the wrong stand, they both have a smaller peg hole in their feet that won't fit the included normal stands.  

I *was* planning on army-building the Xeno/Translucent Xeno 2-pack, but after opening them up I'm content with just the one pack.  The scaled back tooling on the Covenant xenos is pretty disappointing, especially after all of the multi-piece tail tooling of the Alien/Aliens xenos.  The tails on the Covenant xenos look like they are scaled too small.

Also, the design of the neck joints on the Convenant xenos is disappointing, where the Alien/Aliens xenos have a ball joint that allows lots of nuanced posing, the Covenant xenos necks are sculpted to the head, so the range of motion is extremely limited.

Overall, I guess getting them is better than not getting them, but overall I feel like the Covenant line was more of a filler wave while DST tried to determine where they were going next with the Aliens line, and I really hope the scaled down tooling isn't a sign of things to come for the next releases.

You saved me a lot of typing.

Yes, I'm glad to have them. Yes, they're a bit disappointing. If DST decides to revisit Covenant, I hope they include more human and synthetic characters and fewer of these... mediocre xenos. After watching the movie again this weekend, I'd love to see another assortment.

I don't think these were meant to be a filler wave in any way. I'd have to check, but I believe this was a pretty tooling-heavy assortment. If any design decisions were based on tooling considerations, it may have been out of necessity. 

And I'm sure if the movie had energized the fan base, it could have been the main thrust of the Alien line going forward. If the wave does well at TRU, it still could be.