UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C2E2 Speculation

Kotter Comics

i do not think a wave of army builders would be hot sellers. this is just based on my local comic shops and the secret wars, x-men, best of (or whatever that recent wave was that gave us new ant man, hawkeye, luke cake, iron fist) and civil war that are warming pegs. when big name characters aren't selling, random no name army builders don't seem like they'd fly off the shelves .

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're seeing sets underperforming at specialty because there's so much crossover with TRU. Savvy collectors aren't going to buy an entire set at their LCS for $9.99 each when they could buy many at TRU for $2 less.

That said, this is why an army-builder set sold exclusively through specialty venues would perform better than Civil War, for example. Like the Greatest Hits assortment, it's meant to be an evergreen offering, something that allows newbies to start a Minimates collection at any time. Series based on films and even comic events (past or present) are flashes in the pan and are rarely revisited. No-name characters like Hand ninja and SHIELD agents have been offered a couple times already and will likely be offered again for as long as the line continues.

I say give it an unnumbered assortment and manufacture more as needed.

First it has to get to specialty venues. I'm sure Luke would order deep, but I do not see a lot of retailers stocking it. Maybe some would get it in and do well with it, but most would not carry it, and therefore not re-order. But Ask DST!

I think hardcore collectors vastly overestimate the interest that everyone else has in army builders. I'm sure there's demand beyond two figures in a set but assuming they can carry a whole wave seems to be going a bit far.

On 5/1/2017 at 3:14 AM, bigvis497 said:

I'm all for more characters, but army building Walgreens exclusives seems like it would be extremely frustrating given their distribution history. 

Yeah, that's a pretty good point you make there. I've paid eBay scalpers for every purchase from wave 2.5 up and i'd prefer not to do it for army builders. I probably couldn't afford to do it.

Great point. ?

15 hours ago, stack32 said:

I think hardcore collectors vastly overestimate the interest that everyone else has in army builders. I'm sure there's demand beyond two figures in a set but assuming they can carry a whole wave seems to be going a bit far.

Maybe. It's also possible that retailers underestimate the interest hardcore collectors have in army builders. Normally I'll buy one full set of any given assortment. With an army-building case I'm buying them by the case. I don't even consider myself hardcore but I suppose that's up to someone else to decide.

1 hour ago, hellpop said:

Army builders are better than getting two of the same character, but I much prefer having eight unique figures in a wave that having seven with a one per case variant.

I agree with this but on principle it would be nice to have a set (maybe a 4 pack) of army builders (Hydra Agent/SHIELD AGENT/Ninja/AIM) that was like a best of or greatest hits wave.