UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

RIP Bill Paxton

Freaqualizer

Yeah, it was sad news.  Apparently it was complications relating to an undisclosed surgery.  In the obituary on the AV Club, someone posted in the comments a link to an interview he'd done, which includes him talking about a friend who had just passed away under similar circumstances, to which he said jokingly but chillingly "never go to the hospital".

Anyway, my favorite Paxton movie is A Simple Plan, which I think uses his everyman charms to maximum effect.

23 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I grew up -- literally, I became a man -- by repeatedly watching Weird Science. His Chet was the frightening big brother I never had.

C5rzGrHU0AEb1Gt.jpg

My brother and i literally broke the video tape from rewinding Weird Science at the "your stewed, buttwads!" part... R.I.P. :-(

Edited by Nervous Rex
stupid sexy spelling mistake...

Sad news, indeed. I never realised just how many films he was in until i looked him up after finding out he had passed away. Suddenly, a wave of supporting roles came flooding back into my memory. He was upsettingly effective in The Last Supper. 

Game over, man :(

RIP.

Edited by Nessex

I finally watched Haywire, which has Gina "Crush" Carano and an all-star cast (Young Magneto, Young Obi-Wan Kenobi, Magic Mike, Puss in Boots and Gordon Gekko), and Paxton played her dad. Good mustache in that movie. A surprisingly low-key performance.

Frailty.  I discovered it because of a mention in a horror rag and it immediately became a favorite of all time.  Paxton starred and directed.  If you haven't seen it and are not squeamish, get access to it asap.

I've heard that's good, though like Zach I'm not sure it's for squeamish little old me. One of the things I learned in reading his obituary is that Paxton came to LA to be a filmmaker, not an actor, and that he made the video for "Fish Heads". People of a certain age know what that is.

Frailty is great. It definitely is intense though. 

6 hours ago, hellpop said:

One of the things I learned in reading his obituary is that Paxton came to LA to be a filmmaker, not an actor, and that he made the video for "Fish Heads". People of a certain age know what that is.

Whoa, I didn't know that. How freaking cool!

On 3/2/2017 at 11:09 AM, Shanester said:

Frailty.  I discovered it because of a mention in a horror rag and it immediately became a favorite of all time.  Paxton starred and directed.  If you haven't seen it and are not squeamish, get access to it asap.

I saw this one in the theater, not thinking much about it going in.  Leaving the theater, I was pretty blown away by it.  To this day, it is one of my favorite movies, and possibly my favorite horror movie.  I loved Paxton.  One of my favorite actors period--he was definitely the best thing about Aliens--and I was gutted by this news.  Didn't know he directed Fish Heads, either!

On 3/5/2017 at 1:41 PM, DSTZach said:

It always seemed a little too intense for me, so I've avoided it. But Near Dark is a great vampire movie, with a young Paxton.

Near Dark is great and a special memory for me.  I saw a preview for it at this old school art house theater that only show odd stuff and b-movies.  The type of place that showed Pink Floyd's The Wall a lot.  I absolutely had to see it and showed up for the first showing.  Easily my favorite vampire movie and near the top of my favorites list.  Paxton killed (pun intended) that role.  Hell, they all did.

Near Dark is one I wanted to love.  It's got three of the major (and best!) actors from Aliens as vampires, directed by future academy award winner Kathryn Bigalow, and has a totally bad-ass Paxton vampire.  But on the whole that one doesn't resonate with me.  Love that bar scene, though.