UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/28/2018 at 5:59 PM, DSTZach said:

And yeah, we tried to maximize tooling on a tooling-heavy series. Not a cop-Out, a realistic approach to each wave. 

Not an appeal to Disney fans so much as a focus on the main characters of the game. If you're a fan of the game, you should want these characters.

We only need one Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey, I don't want different versions of them. Pete and Soldier were a nice addition but nobody cares about Timeless River or Space Paranoids versions of the characters. I didn't want Tron or Sark. I told you who I wanted before, even without the FF characters there are still: Riku, Kairi, Namine, Organization XIII, Ansem, and Roxas. If you talked to a KH fan you would know that people care more about the human characters. You should be focusing on characters that appear in multiple worlds, not just one world like Space Paranoids. Pete was the only real villain we got, and we really need Xemnas and Maleficent, as well as the rest of Organization XIII. We should have gotten the rest of the main characters, Kairi and Riku, before we even got a second version of Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey (not to mention the Timeless River set coming out making a third version of each character).

• 2 weeks later...

Ah jeez...

I really don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, because I'm eternally grateful that DST gave us any Kingdom Hearts Minimates, but this wave is...really disappointing to me. 

Positives: Maleficent looks great. She's been in the games from the very start, so it's awesome to have her to go with Pete. Ralph looks great too, they really nailed the look

Negatives: Ralph isn't even technically a character in the game. He's a summon that the player can use during certain moments of a fight, he has no bearing on plot. Everything else feels really...not good. That Donald pack is just bad. I know it's a cost saving measure, but there was no need to make a Jack Sparrow in the KH line when we already had one, even if he is a different color. If they wanted to pair up Jack with someone, it should have been a pirate Sora. Sora himself by all means I should adore, but I don't think the Toy Story form translates well to Minimates. Why are we getting a variant of KH3 sora before a regular KH3 sora? They could have at least included a new Keyblade, but it's still the Kingdom Key.

Mickey looks alright, but...Why isn't it Riku? Or anybody else new? I get that DST is trying to appeal to casual fans of the characters, but fans of the games aren't going to want to buy variants of Donald alone. Fans of Kingdom Hearts care more about the characters made for the game: Sora's friends, Organization 13, the BBS trio, etc. All I ever wanted when I heard we were getting these were a Riku and an Aqua, because they are my absolute favorite characters in the games. They're both major characters with multiple starring roles under their belts. This should have been series 2, not 3.

I don't mean to post a text wall immediately after a series is announced, but like...Minimates and Kingdom Hearts are by far both my favorite toyline and my favorite video game franchise. I've not really ever been touched by a piece of media like I have with Kingdom Hearts. To see one of my favorite things ever to be handled with what feels like a "1 step forward, 2 steps back" approach is really upsetting to me.

Ugh these are so disappointing and full of bad choices.

its quite clear whoever is coming up w the lineups has no idea about the games and has never played them.

A Toy Story Sora which in minimate form just means square shoes and wrist bands. Why???  It should be a normal KH3 Sora as Smashmaster said above.

Pirate Donald is dull and Jack didn’t sell before. This should be replaced w actual KH characters.

Mickey just like the Muppets doesn’t work in minimate form. He needs a larger fully sculpted head and short arms/legs. Mickey isnt tall and lanky.

Malificent is awesome, Ralph at least is new but there’s way more important Disney characters in the game. Hades/Hercules is what I was hoping for but Chuck probably chose Ralph cause he just had a new movie. 

Well, those last three comments certainly run the gamut. 

The wave has three main characters and a main villain, so I'd say the person who picked it knows enough about the game. 

Pairings need to be from the same world, so that can affect where characters are from and what worlds we do.

Its a tooling-heavy line, so I'm sure that comes into consideration as well.

36 minutes ago, IntegrityRise said:

I know Disney is a huge part of Kingdom Hearts but between these and Funko it’s really disappointing to not get original KH characters besides Sora. With minimates I’ve accepted that the characters I want probably won’t happen just wish it would lol. 

Actually if you pick up the KH mystery minis from Funko you’ll end up with pretty much a full cast w a good mix of villains and variants.

unfortunetly they are blind bags w store exclusives as well.

Edited by fwoosheyman

30 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Actually if you pick up the KH mystery minis from Funko you’ll end up with pretty much a full cast w a good mix of villains and variants.

unfortunetly they are blind bags w store exclusives as well.

Yeah they mystery minis are pretty decent in terms of variety, I meant more of the actual pops tho. Besides a few, it’s just been a ton of Sora. 

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Well, those last three comments certainly run the gamut. 

The wave has three main characters and a main villain, so I'd say the person who picked it knows enough about the game. 

Pairings need to be from the same world, so that can affect where characters are from and what worlds we do.

Its a tooling-heavy line, so I'm sure that comes into consideration as well.

Why are you so defensive? You clearly can't take any criticism from real KH fans. The person who picked the line up clearly does not.

I seriously don't know what's worse, DST not talking to any KH fans or thinking we're dumb enough to believe they have legitimate excuses for forcing as many Disney characters into this line as they can to appeal to the Disney fans.

If you wanted to make Disney characters, you should have made a Disney line. All you're doing is alienating the KH fans. We get it, you didn't think the KH franchise was good enough to sell minimates, you didn't have any confidence in the actual KH characters, so you hedged your bets on making 3-4 different versions of Disney characters to sell the line solely to Disney fans.

Well let me tell you why this line isn't selling that well. You made a bunch of shelfwarmers. People don't need 2+ of the same Disney characters. If this line dies you'll know why. It's because you didn't make the characters KH fans care about.

Not defensive, all I said was we made four main characters. Not sure how much more you need to know about the game other than who the heroes and villains are. We can't make Square characters. I don't know why we haven't done Kairi and Riku and Roxas and Axel as Minimates yet, maybe there are reasons, maybe there are not. We've done two as action figures, and one is sculpted. 

Getting a license for mainline Disney is not exactly something they hand out to anyone. So if we want to make Mickey and Donald and Goofy and capitalize on their UNIVERSAL popularity, this is our shot. 

I am just happy to see that some of the issues with rights have been worked out. I know Zach said at least one of the characters in this wave wasn’t initially available to them.

As someone who has zero investment in the game and not very much more in Disney characters in general, speaking as a Minimates collector, I'm just looking for appealing toys.

KH was never going to be a "Gotta have them all!" line for me. I planned to pick and choose characters from live-action properties like Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean. Most of the animated characters don't float my boat (although Maleficent is flagitiously fetching).

I understand DST's choices here; they're trying to have the best of both worlds. But unless they start offering more characters original to the game, many end consumers may quit out of frustration.

1 hour ago, youbastards said:

To be fair, the line could just as easily fail if instead of recognizable characters with mass market appeal, they were full of spikey haired emo JPop figures.

Yes but there’s a balance between KH characters and Disney characters that can be done, which DST isn’t doing. 

It’s a kingdom hearts line it’s supposed to represent the games and have characters important to the games, not Wreck it Ralph. Pick other Disney characters which are actually playable in the games and have more importance. Don’t waste all that sculpting budget. 

“Captain” Jack Sparrow at least is a playable character but he’s already been released and was part of a giant bomb of a line and then pair him w a super dull Donald variant. ? Are we going to get a Jack skellington next? Seriously we better not. 

The KH characters are all humans and can be made easily on the base body w the only new part being hair and maybe a keyblade. Not a lot of budget needed. 

51 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

“Captain” Jack Sparrow at least is a playable character but he’s already been released and was part of a giant bomb of a line and then pair him w a super dull Donald variant. ? Are we going to get a Jack skellington next?

Peter Pan.

Definitely understand Disney as filler to sell to Disney fans, I mean that’s the same business tactic that every company has pretty much used when it comes to KH merch, but yeah as a KH fan it sucks all around. I’ll be buying the whole wave regardless, if only in hopes of another wave. I’ll take what I can get at this point. 

Based on my experience online, KH fans have trouble with the block figure format. Trying to cater to them vs general Disney fans might be like... some analogy where we don't sell any Minimates. And before you say why'd you get the license, I think Disney characters were part of the reason. Also, we didn't get it just for Minimates. We're making action figures, PVCs, busts.