UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Just curious, I ordered a Sark and Space Paranoids Goofy from Luke's Toy Store as I am a fan of the original Tron movie.

Anyway, I am curious to know if anyone has noticed any paint errors on Sark.

The red design on his left upper thigh is partially missing.  The rest of the paint detail appears to be normal, from what I can tell.

I am not too worried as he was the set I had opened to display next to my Tron minimate from wave 1.  I will be ordering a second set to keep sealed.

However, after noticing the error on Sark, I then noticed the painting on my Tron's legs seems off as well.  All the details are there but they are skewed and not even.

Anyway, I am happy to have Tron as a minimate and same as Sark, only wish we could eventually get more from Tron in general.

Also, the Space Paranoids Goofy is much nicer in person than the online images made him out to be.

I think a big problem with the Space Paranoids figures is that in series 1 Tron and Donald are a matte finish, but in series 2 Goofy has a metallic paint job and Sark is almost semi-gloss. They're still nice figures, I feel the line has been too lenient on Tron.

@DSTZach, any update on series 3? There were prototypes at Toy Fair, but they were mostly designs shown off before the first series came out. Any chance we might be seeing figures for KH3 like the Select stuff and that bust coming out?

Wow, I didn't even realize wave 2 was out. It's no surprise to me that we might not see a wave 3; this was always a property that was going to struggle without TRU (or someone like Game Stop) to back it up. Honestly, as a backdoor to Disney Minimates it is/was a good idea, but otherwise I don't think it's really got the recognition to be a wide hit. I totally disagree that focusing on the non-Disney characters is a viable strategy; the driver for this line was ALWAYS going to be people buying these sets for Micky, Donald, and Goofy. I guess, if DST isn't going to be able to deliver recognizable versions of these characters anyway, thanks to the contract, it's probably best to move on anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, hellpop said:

Wow, I didn't even realize wave 2 was out. It's no surprise to me that we might not see a wave 3; this was always a property that was going to struggle without TRU (or someone like Game Stop) to back it up. Honestly, as a backdoor to Disney Minimates it is/was a good idea, but otherwise I don't think it's really got the recognition to be a wide hit. I totally disagree that focusing on the non-Disney characters is a viable strategy; the driver for this line was ALWAYS going to be people buying these sets for Micky, Donald, and Goofy. I guess, if DST isn't going to be able to deliver recognizable versions of these characters anyway, thanks to the contract, it's probably best to move on anyway.

Cheaping out and basically making both waves Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey because "tooling is expensive", and trying to make this line appeal to the Disney fans, just completely alienated the KH fanbase. Nobody on the KH reddit or the discord wants to buy these, even if they are discounted on Luke's Toy Store (not to mention that everyone on there thinks the human KH Select figures have awful faces). DST killed any chance this line had by not making the characters KH fans care about. It would have been way better to not make repeats of the Disney characters and include Final Fantasy characters like Cloud, Squall, Sephiroth etc to appeal to the FF fans.

And yeah, we tried to maximize tooling on a tooling-heavy series. Not a cop-Out, a realistic approach to each wave. 

Not an appeal to Disney fans so much as a focus on the main characters of the game. If you're a fan of the game, you should want these characters.

Glad to hear you got back movie characters, let's make the most of it. Truly this game series in like licensing hell. So many people to make happy before product can even get worked on, FF fans need to lighten up and be realistic.

KH has never had a solid comprehensive collection that covered everything, and there's a reason for that. The business hoops you have to jump through were set up by cirque du solei. 

It's good that the future will move onto KH3, and since Donald and Goofy wear their normal outfit it means we don't have to focus on getting more of them.

I guess KH merch is a tough sell. Some people just want them for the Disney characters, but don't like the Nomura redesigns or the original characters. Other people probably just want nothing but the original characters, but that then alienates any kind of casual buyer who only recognizes Sora and has no idea who anyone else is. Having only 3 packs in a wave (And no more TRU around to supplement) makes it feel like the line is being drip-fed.

I'm ecstatic that we even have KH Mini's in the first place, but I guess I'm jealous that companies like Funko were able to get characters like Riku, Kairi, even really obscure choices like Vanitas out. Then again, we're only into the first year of the line being around, so hopefully the future is bright.

Series 3 will be three two-packs, with one movie character in each 2-pack, along with one of the main 4 guys (Sora, Donald, Goofy, Mickey). 

Two of the three movies may be surprising, but all are well-known characters. The three (different) main characters all have new looks. 

Reveal later this month.