UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

9 hours ago, Smashmaster12 said:

DSC04069.jpg

DSC04070.jpg

DSC04071.jpg

Looks like this is our series 2? While I think what we have looks great, and I can't wait to army build the Heartless, I'm a bit worried. Only 1 new character? Was really hoping to see Riku and some more original KH characters on the roster. Maybe series 3 will deliver some more heavy hitters. That Light Cycle is absolutely to die for, though, I hope Sora has the Keyblade from Space Paranoids with him!

Hoping we'll see Roxas or Axel as store exclusives in series 2, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that unlike other big conventions throughout the year where we see the good stuff that's on the way, toyfair isn't going to show us items that are ready and exclusive to other retailers, just new items they are trying to get retailers interested in ordering.

We saw the new marvel Tru wave online but not at the show, no Walgreens waves on display, no GameStop or best buy waves of kingdom hearts on display so we can get hyped. I really would like to see those already though so I can get hyped.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, Smashmaster12 said:

Looks like this is our series 2? While I think what we have looks great, and I can't wait to army build the Heartless, I'm a bit worried. Only 1 new character? Was really hoping to see Riku and some more original KH characters on the roster. Maybe series 3 will deliver some more heavy hitters. That Light Cycle is absolutely to die for, though, I hope Sora has the Keyblade from Space Paranoids with him!

FYI, the sixth figure in Series 2 (specialty) will be Sark. New character!

No Keyblade for SP Sora, just a big ol' bike. 

Series 3 will have three new characters, I believe, between specialty and TRU. 

These will not be at Gamestop, by the way. Only TRU and comic shops. 

No trays yet, but I got a bag of loose Series 1 production samples (those were them at the show), so I am squeeee.

Edited by DSTZach

On 3/7/2018 at 2:20 PM, arnim zola said:

Literally 2 pages ago you said they would be at GameStop. How many retailers are these going to be at now, and how is GameStop carrying the vini's and not these?

As to your first question:

On 3/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, DSTZach said:

As to your second question... I don't know what to say. they wrote us a check for the Vinis, and not the Minis. Pretty simple. I forget which GS characters we showed, but BBS MIckey, will be in Series 3. And Master Sora is in Series 2. 

Edited by DSTZach

Okay, I meant more in a looking for some answers that we can make sense of.

So for the first question, I saw your post but I really liked reading it again. Can you shed some light on what happened and how Tru ended up in the mix and GameStop out or if there are any other retailers that may be jumping on at some point? Was walgreens not interested in these?

The second question was more rhetorical than literal, like why would they do that? If someone asked me I might give a reason about why a retailer backed out or some details behind their decisions, some interesting knowledge about the business.

Or I could tell another adult that people write other people checks for goods and services.:splode:

3 hours ago, arnim zola said:

Okay, I meant more in a looking for some answers that we can make sense of.

I'll see what I can help you make sense of!

So for the first question, I saw your post but I really liked reading it again. Can you shed some light on what happened and how Tru ended up in the mix

They were always in the mix, have offered nearly every Minimates mates line we have offered in the last six years, and TRU's Timeless figures were on display at NYCC last October.

and GameStop out

Not sure they were ever in. They have only ever carried one Minimates line, and it did not perform well. There was apparently a proposal on the floor for a second attempt with KH, but it was ultimately scrapped. They would have been blind bags, so everyone here should be relieved. All the figures have new homes.

or if there are any other retailers that may be jumping on at some point?

All I can say to that is:

On 3/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, DSTZach said:

Meaning I am not aware of anyone joining the line in the future.

Was walgreens not interested in these?

I guess not. They only have so much room, and they have both Minimates and KH represented already.

The second question was more rhetorical than literal, like why would they do that? If someone asked me I might give a reason about why a retailer backed out or some details behind their decisions, some interesting knowledge about the business.

If it was rhetorical, you wouldn't expect an answer, but you didn't like the answer I didn't give you. Sounds like you want to have a mass retailer's category buyer's buying decisions explained by a third party, specifically a dude who is not even their sales representative. I have given some theories above, but it's not generally expected for a company to discuss inner business workings and negotiations, either with dudes on the Internet or even with me most of the time. The reasons could be boring and logistical or arbitrary and personal. Or it was all wishful thinking on our part. I do not know.

Or I could tell another adult that people write other people checks for goods and services.:splode:

I did not check to see if you were an adult before answering, I just went with my gut. Sorry.

Edited by DSTZach

You know Zach usually makes me smile too. I'm a fan of Zach's. I'm also a big fan of Oscar Wilde.

Let's pretend I've been buying minimates since they started and I've kept up with every bit of info we've gotten about the business and how every retailer works with minimates. OK, then let's say I don't need a bunch of your responses to your own quotes. A single sentence response would suffice in place of your quote sandwiched in your sentences.

I don't, and doubt most anyone here expects any sort of incredible revelations about anything. Your job is separate from other departments, you've said you aren't even in the same office right? OK, so at the very least I expect that you might do what you often do which is provide interesting and useful insight into what you do know behind the scenes, neutrally, and without being 100% a dick.

Yup that's what it was!

Maybe I've been too hard on Zach with my last couple of comments across the verse.  Still like you Zach, still a fan of your work and that won't change, and I always enjoy adding to my industry knowledge with the tidbits I get from you about my favorite collectible.

Unfortunately my hope of this line doing well isn't high at all. There are too many Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey Minimates and their fate is to be shelfwarmers. There shouldn't have been Space Paranoids and Timeless River versions before there were Minimates of KH characters that weren't made yet, such as Kairi, Riku, Namine, Organization XIII etc. It feels like DST is trying to appeal to the Disney fanbase rather than the actual Kingdom Hearts fanbase. I know Final Fantasy characters would have done a lot better. People really love FF7, and I bet they would go out and buy Cloud, Sephiroth, Aerith, Yuffie, and Cid Minimates even if they've never collected Minimates before. And it would line up well with the FF7 remake coming out. Some people like FF8 too so Squall (named Leon in the KH series), Seifer, Raijin, and Fujin would have been good figures too.

I've heard square is usually a bunch of squares with licensing and figures for this property, maybe that's why we aren't seeing those characters. I love the Disney characters and haven't played all through the games yet, and these mates aren't even out yet, but this is already looking like the first several waves if ninja turtles. Am I happy to get Disney mates? Yes of course and I preordered instead of waiting for in hand quality pics, but there's a ton a Disney characters in the games, including long loved baddies like maleficent and these waves are repeats upon repeats of anchor characters and by the time, they get around to secondary characters the interest by retailers may already be fading.

Another often repeated mistake we can add to the list in the other thread :yes:

I’d have to find where I read it, but all characters original to KH are owned by Disney while Final Fantasy still falling under Square. I wouldn’t hold my breath for FF characters in this line too much but the Organization and other original characters should be fair game. Also, it makes sense to tackle making Disney first, more recognizable. Gotta lay the foundation down first for this line. 

And remember that new tooling costs DST money. They try to recoup that by reusing it as much as possible. Paint variants help with that. This gives us 3 waves with only the initial tool costs. As the line does well, they can do more new tooling, or not.

Then why bother making two additional waves with the same characters? I think it would have been better to just release one wave, and make new figures after the first wave sells. If this line dies it will be because DST made the first three waves like this.

I'm obviously happy to get what we're getting and be happy we're getting it at all, but wave 2 should have had Riku and Kairi. I get Disney sells. This isn't just Disney. At this rate, I'll be shocked to get any of Organization 13 beyond maybe Axel. Hopefully that isn't true. 

Edit: and you open the game with Roxas. 

Edited by Josh2382

11 hours ago, Dio said:

Then why bother making two additional waves with the same characters? I think it would have been better to just release one wave, and make new figures after the first wave sells. If this line dies it will be because DST made the first three waves like this.

Lots of lines have died because of this.