UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toyfair 2017 Anyone?

hellpop

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kingdom Hearts huh?

Well it certainly kicks f**king ass, but it totally had a new game release. YOU LIED TO US. BUT ITS OKAY BECAUSE IT MEANS KINGDOM HEARTS MINIMATES. WHICH IS AMAZING EVEN IF I REALLY WAS HOPING FOR GOD OF WAR.

I think I, and maybe a few others, will feel better when we see what KH encompasses. The idea of KH is to fuse Disney with the Final Fantasy worlds and creating these new characters as the bridge. So can we pull Leon and his gunblade with Mickey in his KH2 cloak with Sora from all 3 main games? Or are we limited to something more specific? 

No real interest from me for Kingdom Hearts. Maybe if Donald's hat is removable I could find a use for him. Other than a few of the Disney characters, it doesn't inspire me much. I know it used to be a pretty popular franchise so hopefully it helps DST and maybe makes Disney think about doing more Minimates.

Other than that, the 80s TMNT is a homerun and everything else is just fine. It's a great time to be a Vinimate fan though.

I haven't really played kingdom hearts and I know it's a long shot, but anything that gets me a step closer to an Uncle Scrooge minimate I am in favor of. 

43 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I just wish we knew what the KH license covered. I want every Sora from every game and every "drive" 

edit: considering the need for anchors in other waves (Wolverine, Spidey, or even Iron Man) hopefully we'll see a lot of Sora's

To be fair, every Disney character and damn near all the Final Fantasy characters could anchor a wave. 

To some people yes and I could see Mickey or Dolan for sure anchoring a wave but I don't know about the masses clamoring for a Barrett Minimate or heck even a Cloud minimate despite his cool design. I mean Yuffie could anchor a wave for me but that doesn't say much. I just meant DST's habit to go by main characters. 

As someone who's looking to trim his Minimates budget, I'm pretty happy with Kingdom Hearts. That's a line that I'll rarely dip into since I'm generally not into Disney cartoon characters. I'll pick up anything from Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean but that's it.

I can't say I'm shocked that TRU is ditching TMNT 'mates. With all the other product they're pushing from Playmates, it's kinda hard to spot DST's Turtle merchandise on the pegs. The aisle is pretty dense with SKUs and there's plenty of competition. Since I'm not a fan of the 80's cartoon at all, I'll be passing on future assortments until DST starts offering movie product.

The big shocker was DC Vinimates. For years this board has been harassing DST for DC Minimates before every event, from Toy Fair through NYCC. I feel like we'd collectively given up and then this bombshell drops. iZombie and Gotham were a foot in the door and Watchmen was another step in the right direction. I can't imagine being much closer to getting DC Minimates again than having the chance to offer DC Vinimates. I have no idea how it's even possible but I'm glad it's not "an imaginary story." Now gimme characters that will complement DC Minimates.

The only thing that keeps me from getting that excited yet about DC minimates is the fact that even now, nothing is in the works. "Never say never" is a better answer than "Abandon all hope," but DC seems to be slowly giving more and more opportunities to DST, at this point it feels almost like "Green light or get off the pot" with DC. I don't blame DST at all, they'd likely never have stopped the original DC 'mates if they didn't have to, at this point what more does DC need? They know the demand is there, Marvel shows the format has legs, other than making things deliberately difficult for themselves which is becoming their modus opperandi as of late, what more do they need?