UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toyfair 2017 Anyone?

hellpop

Comic Supes

Movie WW

CW Flash

Injustice 2 Bats

Damn, this is the whole package. I remember those rumors that it wasn't a case of DC not wanting more 'mates, but there was something in the way, some other company having the license for such collectibles. That was a bit after the Nu52 launched, and DC Collectibles (which replaced DC Direct) did a sort of "AskDCC" thing on their FB page. A couple of folks did ask for 'mates, for about 2 or 3 months, and that was their response, more or less. Most people assumed it was Mezco and their Mez-itz, which I think have been cancelled as a line, since they didn't show anything in their preview video alongside the One:12 stuff.

Now, considering DST is starting with the Vinyl stuff, it's pretty clear they snagged that from Mezco. What's noteworthy, is that they have all the licenses. Marvel began with comics, expanded with flicks during the MCU (now only MCU flicks, no Fox ones), and has given us animated and Netflix products in recent times, although Agents of SHIELD & any video games (admittedly, Marvel hasn't produced a good Video Game in years, so it's a moot point) are missing. That means that DC has faith in the brand, otherwise they'd start with just the movie or CW stuff.

Considering every Vinimate license so far has gotten or will get mates, and that DST's found success with Gotham, plus the variety of divisions they can pull from, makes me think DC Minimates are pretty much a given. I mean, why give a company known for minifigures all the licenses, but restrict them with just static block-esque figures that will more or less be in competition with the massively popular Funko Pops? DC already has Pops! of everything, so it makes little sense to give another company the "go", just for a variation of the same product. They'd be in competition with themselves.

I'm not an expert or have any info from inside the toy world, but from an outsider's standpoint, it makes the most logical sense.Mezco's vinyl line fails, they hold onto the rights for a while, and as soon as new releases stop, DST comes out with Vinimates based on every aspect of DC entertainment? I doubt Vinis are all we'll get, considering all the other lines that started that way, and are getting MM releases now. Gotham was a test, and since results were positive and their Mezco contract was probably ending (the first Mez-itz came out around 2011 or so), plus with the DC Direct Bad Blood out of the way, the road was open.

Question is, what will the waves look like? A model like Marvel's, with standalone waves based either on comics or flicks, or will the VG & TV-Shows be added? Will it be a general mix, say a comic 2-Pack, a movie 2-Pack and so on and so forth? I imagine it'll be something like Marvel's, but I wonder if each one of them will be a "different line". Say, they come out with a REBIRTH/All-Stars wave, and that's DC: Comic Wave: 01. Then they come out with a wave based on Injustice, and that's DC: Games: 01 and so on and so forth. It's a bit complicated, but it's appealing to me.

Yeah, yeah, I realize I'm bumbling and running ahead, but come on, don't tell me that this isn't a "WTF?" moment for you either. DC mates are most probably coming back, and with a bang no less. Comics, games, movies, who would've thought? Two years back DC Mates were thought of as next to impossible, and even last year, with the Gotham license, it still didn't look as bright. But now? Well, we're getting Vinis, and Minis have followed them since they came out so...

PS: I wonder whether Vertigo is included. Hellblazer, Preacher, Fables, etc, etc

PS2: What's next? Doctor Who...?

Edited by Kostisfire

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to licensing I'm not sure it's a good idea to try and apply logic. I'll believe DC minimates are coming back when I have them in my hands.

Also, it's pretty funny that no one seems too interested in DC vinimates themselves. Probably not the reaction DST is looking for.

9 minutes ago, stack32 said:

When it comes to licensing I'm not sure it's a good idea to try and apply logic. I'll believe DC minimates are coming back when I have them in my hands.

Also, it's pretty funny that no one seems too interested in DC vinimates themselves. Probably not the reaction DST is looking for.

Eh, in that case, why even go into all the trouble if Vinis are all that we'll get? What's the difference with the Pops! that are already selling like hotcakes, have every license imaginable and are pretty much a phenomenon? I will admit nothing is ever certain, but considering every line that started with Vinis already has or will get mates, and the added fact of Vinis being Pops! 2.0 in a market that's been oversaturated with vinyl figs since then, it's a logical assumption. Granted, my excitement is getting the better of me, I'll admit that little bit.

Well, it's only natural. The DC line was much more detailed compared to Marvel at the time, and it came to an end very early on. It's the one license that people have been clamoring for more than Star Wars. So when you see that DST now has the whole DC package (comics, games, movies, shows) and is producing Vinis, your first thought is 100% gonna be "where the hell are my mates?!". Granted these do look pretty darn great, and I can see myself buying my faves (Batman, Deathstroke, Wonder Woman, JonCon, etc).

Edited by Kostisfire

3 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Does anyone get excited for vinimates?

Very little chatter here about them and they are collecting dust at local TRU's.

i think its too early. 

pops took a while to catch on, but i do think they saturated the market. im honestly sick of seeing pops or funko type products right now in stores. 

we need articulation lol

Edited by Roccothegreat

4 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Does anyone get excited for vinimates?

Very little chatter here about them and they are collecting dust at local TRU's.

Well, from a quick look around, ForbiddenPlanet is sold out from GB, Predator & Alien Vinis, and BBTS completely out of Alice ones. Dunno how they're doing in general, but I don't think they're a failure. And the DC ones will sell much better I presume.

From ToyArk(Mezco): 

Toy-Fair-2017-Mezco-003.jpg

They have some Mezitz, but there's nothing new there. The heroes are from that New52 pack from 2013 or so, Mad Love Joker & Batman Returns Batmobile & Batman from last year's SDCC. So the 2016 releases/reveals (Reurns, SKWAD) were the last. I'll take that as a good sign...

I would be absolutely thrilled to see DC 'mates return, I think it would also revive my passion for 'mates that hasn't been as strong as of late. And while I would definitely get 'mates from every form of DC media and print, I do hope that they don't take the approach of mixing them all together in one line right away, that approach seems like it would take years to really get a strong group of DC characters from any one license, let alone four different branches of the same. All of the possibilities features dozens of characters, and in a 8 'mate wave, it would be a long, long time before you can really fill out a display for games, movies, toys and comics, and may lead some more casual buyers to pick and choose instead of going all in on the line. Either way, I hope they're back.