UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Split

TENIME_art

REJOIIIIIICE

REEEEJOOOOOOIIIIIICE

But seriously this was badass. Shyamalan made a slight comeback with The Visit but this... this actually legit makes me want to see another Shyamalan movies. Let's go let's do this. I need it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Visit was a much more compelling movie all and all. Even if the "twist" in that one was pretty obvious, it was more entertaining as a film. However Split was good not great, but the ending "twist" was great and made the movie better overall, but if you cut the ending scene off it was just okay, IMO.

As someone who has never seen

Unbreakable

I found the twist to actually detract form my overall enjoyment of the film. It was confusing and I felt like an idiot walking out of the theater befuddled. It wasn't until I got home and looked it up that I finally figured it out. I think the twist that

Kevin lives in a zoo

is much more compelling and should have been heightened to strengthen the core story of Kevin instead of servicing other things. Perhaps if

it was established beforehand that this was connected to Unbreakable

it could have been a better film for audience members like myself.

Edited by CBMM1

I haven't seen this yet and will prob wait till it hits one of the UK cable/streaming providers to watch it.

I liked six sense and kinda find unbreakable bearable Signs and the Village are good for me as well. After The Happening I avoid anything with his name attached to it. I've watched trailers  for other movies but either come away with the feeling of Meh boring or just absolute why do ppl keep giving this guy a job.

Oh I could pretty much guess that 90% of the audience I saw it with didn't understand the ending. I think some of them might think it was connected to Sixth Sense or something. Which probably confused them even more. But I got it, so it definitely boosted my enjoyment of the movie overall. But I could totally see how it would just confuse a lot of people.

8 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

Not knowing it was connected until that ending, made that ending make me like the whole thing even more. I liked being surprised. I think if I'd known going in, it might have tempered my expectations differently.

Oh agree, 100%. It only works if you don't know it. If you knew coming in it was, it wouldn't have had any effect positively.

After hearing that this movie might be connected to a specific previous Shyamalan film, I had my daughter watch it before we went yesterday and she's glad she did. Not sure how I feel about an M. Night cinematic universe. It didn't wreck the movie for me but I can see where it would have been confusing.

That twist wasn't a huge reveal for me since I've been there and recognized it. Even so, I'm not convinced it's much of a revelation. He's had much bigger and better "a HA!" moments. 

Sidebar: Wasn't there talk of a TV series based on Unbreakable? That movie certainly made a great pilot. 

I don't think it was supposed to be a twist. Rather just a "surprise! sequel!"

Watching interviews, he said this whole movie was basically a third of the original

Unbreakable

script, and cut it out to keep a tighter focus on what we ended up getting. And then decided to flesh it out in its own movie. Supposedly, they're all gonna be back for a threequel to finish up the remaining third of the aforementioned first draft.

1 hour ago, TENIME_art said:

I don't think it was supposed to be a twist. Rather just a "surprise! sequel!" 

I was referring to the location. Which made sense considering the name of the last personality but as someone who lives in eastern PA, has been to the mall that was mentioned, and knows Shyamalan loves setting his films around Bucks County (not to mention all the hockey stickers in the background), it wasn't hard to guess where the girls were being kept.