UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Best Minimates of 2016 anouncement

News_Flash.jpg

You read right. After 13 years of collecting Minimates, I'm retiring from the collecting game. This was by no means a spur of the moment decision. Last year I was on the fence about whether or not to call it quits, but I gave myself a whole year to see if there was still a spark of passion left. Alas that feeling I once had many years ago isn't there anymore. As of today I have several cases of barely open mates still sitting in my photography room and a few missing blind bag mates from this year (which I do not feel obligated with hunting down). I have no intention of selling my collection and I have a lot of photo / minimate comic projects I'd still like to do.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Minimates are without a doubt the BEST toyline ever to hit retail. I love reading about the newest waves to hit the market and I absolutely love looking at all your display pics and dioramas. That part of my minimate love will never die, but my days of needing to track down and add every minimate release to my personal collection has come to a close. Tomorrow I will pick-up my last case from comic book shop (which will end all my pre-order commitments with them) and it so happens to be the last release of 2016.

With that said, before I take my final bow, I would very much love to put on one last "BEST MINIMATE OF" minimate show for all of you. As I do every year, I like to ask for your blessing to proceed. So... Can I take one last crack and put together the BEST MINIMATES OF 2016 award show and red carpet extravaganza?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I'll be sad to see you go, but I understand. I'm sure everyone here wants you to still do the award show. You don't need it but you have my blessing. The photography work you do is one of my favorite reasons to visit this site and if there was a MMMV Hall of Fame, you'd be in it.

I'm glad you're not selling your collection. You never know when you'll get the itch again and starting from scratch can be too intimidating of a wall to knock down if you get the urge to jump back in. I've been there.

All the best!

Wow!  Say it isn't so!  I'll definitely be sad to see you go but I totally understand.  I've cut back quite a bit myself over the last year or two.  I always looked forward to your end of the year awards and I was just thinking earlier this morning that it's about that time, haha.  I'd love to see you do one more before you go. :)

Edited by MisterMiracle

Just to be clear, I am not leaving this community, I am only giving up the completist collecting aspect of it. If I see the odd mate pack that tickles my fancy, of course I'll pick it up, I'm just not going to but every single mate released each year like I have for the past 13 years. I gave my comic book shop notice of my intent and they understand. I have fulfilled all of my pre-order commitments with them and now I will be done as of tomorrow. Don't worry though, you will continue to see my brand of humorous photography and comics and whatnot. 

It'll be sad to see you go, but I (as well as many others) am glad to hear that you aren't leaving, but that you're "leaving." In regards of the awards show, It'll be sad not having one to look forward to every year, but I will welcome the finale with open arms.

Good night and good luck, Myte. May the winds take you wherever you need to be.

I can understand how you feel it becomes harder an harder to track down mates nowadays for me I'm  not willing to pay scalper prices. I echo the above statements as its good your not leaving.

I too will miss The "best of" stuff as it always brings a smile to my face. Anyway  onwards and upwards and I hope all that spare cash from not buying as many Minimates doesn't weigh you down too much.

This wasn't the crisis I was expecting. ?

Glad you're sticking around, MM. As I say, when it becomes more frustrating than fun, it's time to change things up. (Heck, I'm still struggling with whether or not to open my Walking Dead Minimates.)

I'm looking forward to your final installment of the awards show. I can't think of anyone else to produce it!

On 12/31/2016 at 4:05 PM, Cappy said:

Bring it on!

And I think you will find, having made your decision, a renewed joy in Minimates -- gathering only the ones you want, rather than the chore of completist hunting.

Most of the completists have now been hunted down & dealt with accordingly . :yes:

Most of them .B)

Agonising over who to vote into which category is one of the absolute highlights of my year. 
The resulting show is possibly *the* highlight of my minimate calendar. Can't wait for this year's event.