UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 73 - Spider-man Homecoming

Mysterious Stranger

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who has only really ever had "Great Aunts" (being raised by grandmother, they're her sisters) I identify more with older Aunt May. I definitely think she was meant to ground Spider-Man and "inconvenience" him to thicken the plot. That being said I think Tomei can pull off what's needed in the plot (although tony hitting on her was eh, I could take or leave it) I definitely understand what you mean about Sally Field Aunt May being too self reliant but this Aunt May feels over bearing in a good way so we'll see! 

The plot thickens....

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

As someone who has only really ever had "Great Aunts" (being raised by grandmother, they're her sisters)

She wasn't a "great aunt" (but she was pretty terrific), though. She was his father's sister. And yes, gaps like that can happen. My old boss is a good 20 years older than her younger sister, but it's an exception, not the rule.

27 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

She wasn't a "great aunt" (but she was pretty terrific), though. She was his father's sister. And yes, gaps like that can happen. My old boss is a good 20 years older than her younger sister, but it's an exception, not the rule.

you are correct that she wasn't his great aunt, but she isn't his father's sister. She was May Reilly before she married Uncle Ben (the origin of the Scarlet Spider's last name). Uncle Ben was Peter's dad's brother. 

Edited by suicidewatch

Another problem I have is by having Tony in the mix also rips a lot of the character struggle out of Peter Parker, He is now basically foot loose and fancy free with a financial backer to pursue superheroing, high school or anything else he wants with no struggle.

16 hours ago, suicidewatch said:

you are correct that she wasn't his great aunt, but she isn't his father's sister. She was May Reilly before she married Uncle Ben (the origin of the Scarlet Spider's last name). Uncle Ben was Peter's dad's brother. 

That's not the continuity I've read, but okay. Giant age gap between brothers, then. Same difference.

1 hour ago, TENIME_art said:

That's not the continuity I've read, but okay. Giant age gap between brothers, then. Same difference.

What continuity did you read? All the major canons have Ben and Richard Parker as brothers. Not saying you're wrong, just curious as I've never heard of it.

39 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

What continuity did you read? All the major canons have Ben and Richard Parker as brothers. Not saying you're wrong, just curious as I've never heard of it.

I was about to ask the same thing. I've never seen a comic that didn't have Ben and Richard (Pete's dad) as brothers. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise unless Ben took her name haha. Then The Scarlet Spider would have gotten his full name from uncle ben's maiden name instead of Ben's first name and May's maiden name like Suicidewatch pointed out. 

39 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

I was about to ask the same thing. I've never seen a comic that didn't have Ben and Richard (Pete's dad) as brothers. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise unless Ben took her name haha. Then The Scarlet Spider would have gotten his full name from uncle ben's maiden name instead of Ben's first name and May's maiden name like Suicidewatch pointed out. 

I have less of a problem with the money/tech stuff in this new movie universe, because the "struggle" has NEVER been a factor in the movies before. Peter always ends up with super costumes, awesome gadgets, whatever, with ease anyway in the movies, so having a mysterious benefactor works better IMO. Likewise, this could create stories where we see the "struggle" because maybe he wrecks some stuff Tony gives him and he gets cut off for a bit or whatnot.

As to Aunt May, I'll just leave this here...

giphy.gif

From the trailers, I think Peter will be cutting his ties from Tony by the end of the movie. Think Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3 where he tries to join The Avengers, but by the end decides that he doesn't need to be part of a team and moves on alone. 

6 hours ago, SCW said:

I have less of a problem with the money/tech stuff in this new movie universe, because the "struggle" has NEVER been a factor in the movies before. Peter always ends up with super costumes, awesome gadgets, whatever, with ease anyway in the movies,

Gonna agree to disagree on this one, in the original trilogy he lived in his aunts tiny house then moved to a really crappy apartment with a pay phone in the hall, struggling to get by on what ever he could convince Jamison to give him, begging to get a permanent staff job. He was at college on a scholarship which they threatened to take away at one point and all he really had gadget wise was stuff he made in his room from junk. He even bitched about the cost of web fluid.

19 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Gonna agree to disagree on this one, in the original trilogy he lived in his aunts tiny house then moved to a really crappy apartment with a pay phone in the hall, struggling to get by on what ever he could convince Jamison to give him, begging to get a permanent staff job. He was at college on a scholarship which they threatened to take away at one point and all he really had gadget wise was stuff he made in his room from junk. He even bitched about the cost of web fluid.

Say what now? Why would he have bitched about the cost of web fluid in the original trilogy, when he shot the webs from his arms? He didn't have web fluid. And while they may have tried to play it off that he "made" that costume in the movies, but that's not something someone can just make from "junk" in his room. And he had multiple costumes, which get ripped up and replaced throughout the movies. Again, even the best cosplayer in the world can't make a suit like that, so I have a hard time believing Peter can. 

Not that I care, it's a movie, whatever we can look past it, but logically, it makes much more sense for him to get a costume like that from someone like Tony. In Batman, we can accept that he gets a top of the line costume because he's a billionaire. But there's no way Toby's Peter could have made his costumes.

Costumes need origins.

I really wanted Raimi to explain that Peter's final costume came from the wrestling promoter who saw how much potential this "Spider-Man" had for business. I wanted one scene where Peter (in his home-made suit) goes back for the money he's owed but the promoter doesn't have it, explaining, "I spent it... on THIS." So Peter takes the suit.