UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 73 - Spider-man Homecoming

Mysterious Stranger

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I'm just scared since ganke apparentlY was casted that they're wanting to eventually have Miles. I'd be alright with having both I guess but for the love of god don't kill off peter we just got a decent one. 

Well, considering they renamed him Ned Leeds, but apparently kept all of Ganke's personality and appearance, I'd say they just want to have the best of both worlds. Dunno how this will work though. From what I remember, the first trilogy will be in high school with one movie taking place in one year. Essentially they've gone the Ultimate route, kept Ganke and then sprinkled in all of Peter's 616 bits. And I ain't a fan of that. Those early 60s High School issues were boring AF. College Peter was much more interesting. But between Slott's run, Marvel's relaunches and now this lame movie move (for me, anyway), I ain't that interested in the Spider-Verse these days. Superior was the last breath of fresh air, with Carnage delivering a solid "Tomb of Dracula-esque book. 

1 hour ago, Kostisfire said:

Well, considering they renamed him Ned Leeds, but apparently kept all of Ganke's personality and appearance, I'd say they just want to have the best of both worlds. Dunno how this will work though. From what I remember, the first trilogy will be in high school with one movie taking place in one year. Essentially they've gone the Ultimate route, kept Ganke and then sprinkled in all of Peter's 616 bits. And I ain't a fan of that. Those early 60s High School issues were boring AF. College Peter was much more interesting. But between Slott's run, Marvel's relaunches and now this lame movie move (for me, anyway), I ain't that interested in the Spider-Verse these days. Superior was the last breath of fresh air, with Carnage delivering a solid "Tomb of Dracula-esque book. 

I meant they literally casted another person named Jason Ganke as well. 

I really want to get to college peter as well but I'm scared they'll kill him off. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I meant they literally casted another person named Jason Ganke as well. 

I really want to get to college peter as well but I'm scared they'll kill him off. 

I went and checked that. So they have an Asian-American Ned Leeds that acts and looks like Ganke, but a Caucasian as Jason Ganke that looks like... nodoby worth noting. And they also have a scrawny Flash who's an "intellectual rival". I've got to say, I ain't liking this casting. They're stealing stuff from Miles' supporting cast, while also making Peter's pretty unrecognizable. I mean, why not just go with the usuals? Betty Brant, Jonah, Liz Allen (at least she's in there), Harry Osborn, Jock Flash and the like? Flash has a great character arc that I don't think we'll ever get with this route they're taking. It's not the race part that breaks it, it's the physique and the way he's written. Even then, I can kinda get over the weird casting, but three movies of high school I think will be overkill. 

18 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

I went and checked that. So they have an Asian-American Ned Leeds that acts and looks like Ganke, but a Caucasian as Jason Ganke that looks like... nodoby worth noting. And they also have a scrawny Flash who's an "intellectual rival". I've got to say, I ain't liking this casting. They're stealing stuff from Miles' supporting cast, while also making Peter's pretty unrecognizable. I mean, why not just go with the usuals? Betty Brant, Jonah, Liz Allen (at least she's in there), Harry Osborn, Jock Flash and the like? Flash has a great character arc that I don't think we'll ever get with this route they're taking. It's not the race part that breaks it, it's the physique and the way he's written. Even then, I can kinda get over the weird casting, but three movies of high school I think will be overkill. 

I definitely agree with what you're saying, bud. Like I just want jock Flash, and I really don't get the casting of the other Ganke lol. I think the high school thing would be ok if Flash was an actual jock so we could get that cool arc. I'm just super scared we're gonna get 3 high school movies then they'll kill off peter even though we've got a great actor for him in my opinion. I want this Pete series to last like a decade lol. 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I definitely agree with what you're saying, bud. Like I just want jock Flash, and I really don't get the casting of the other Ganke lol. I think the high school thing would be ok if Flash was an actual jock so we could get that cool arc. I'm just super scared we're gonna get 3 high school movies then they'll kill off peter even though we've got a great actor for him in my opinion. I want this Pete series to last like a decade lol. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird situation. "Ned Leeds" is just... Ganke. Why go through the effort of swapping the names? As for Flash, the guy who plays him, Revolori, was great in TGBH, but dunno, when I look at him, I don't see "Flash". From what I gather, he's just going to be an arrogant little prick who challenges Peter on an intellectual level and... that's just not Flash. The easiest thing would've been to cast a regular Jock Flash, have Ned Leeds be the intellectual rival (have Revolori play the role), replace Ganke/Ned Leeds with Harry Osborn, and you're set. Have one movie in High School, and then move to College, with MJ, Gwen and the like. Staying in HS is pointless.

Though I don't think they'll kill him off after the trilogy. RDJ, Evans and the like will retire by that time, so they need a new guy to keep making tentpole films. Maybe after 6 films they'll introduce Miles, but it's just bonkers to devote a whole trilogy in HS, and then probably mash together College and Post-College in three films. This is "The Hobbit" all over again. If we get the Symbiote-Saga while he's in HS, it'll surely blow. I'm just not very confident in this plan.

I agree about the Flash thing, I mean his name fits his jock personality not really an intellectual one. I really liked the Amazing Spiderman films Flash. He went through an arc of admiring Spider-Man and warming up to Peter, if I remember correctly that's how it was in the comics. Not sure how this Flash is going to bully him, I guess by saying "I'm smarter then you." 

I feel like Amadeus Cho would have been better as an intellectual rival, they already introduced his mom so I think it could work. Zendaya could have been better as Betty Brant or a new take on Felicia Hardy instead of Michelle. Just my thoughts.

19 hours ago, RedTiger95 said:

I agree about the Flash thing, I mean his name fits his jock personality not really an intellectual one. 

Eugene "flash" Thompson. Take flash out and he's a straight nerd. Just plain devils advocate, I think it's stupid what they're doing also. How will we ever get agent venom that went to war and got his legs blown off then become the coolest the symbiote has been since it was first created 

I liked Miles a lot more when he was allowed to be the Spider-Man of an alternate continuity, where he could be anything without restriction because it was his world. Now that's he's part of the mainstream Marvel continuity, I really don't have much use for him. I'm never going to want anyone else other than Peter Parker as Spider-Man, not Miles, not Ben Reilly, no one. I think Marvel is being incredibly short-sighted with all the changes they're making, and I don't even hear people talking about Miles much anymore. 

Marvel gets the ability to use their biggest character in the MCU, but they're utilizing elements from a version of the character that pretty much fizzled out a few years ago, I question if they're focusing on the long term or trying to capitalize on a modicum of chatter online from a lot of people who don't even know who Miles is, but still think he should replace Peter Parker. Why not make a Sony exclusive film series set several years from now where Miles becomes Spider-Man and give him his own continuity to flourish in, a Batman Beyond type of approach? Make it animated, or don't. But if they think they can replace Peter and the world at large won't mind, I think they're going to regret it. 

And to answer your question Zach, the Raimi Spider-Man movies are corny beyond belief, 2 is good enough to overcome it but 1 & 3 are cringeworthy. ASM wasn't what it should have been but I was very forgiving because I really liked Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but then they learned nothing from the mistakes they made and made new ones, so that series isn't any better. I'm sure the Raimi comments will do me no favors, but I remember seeing it opening night and being so disappointed, and wondering what everyone else was talking about that I didn't see. 

Valo, your take on Raimi's Spider-Man movies reminds me of my own take on Burton's Batman flicks. Were they better than previous live-action incarnations? Sure, but that's not saying a whole lot. I walked out of Batman feeling like the property was finally heading in a better direction but I still had enough problems with it to give it a 5 out of 10. Batman Returns was only marginally better but it did feature one of my all-time favorite comic movie moments:

1 hour ago, Valo487 said:

I liked Miles a lot more when he was allowed to be the Spider-Man of an alternate continuity, where he could be anything without restriction because it was his world. Now that's he's part of the mainstream Marvel continuity, I really don't have much use for him. I'm never going to want anyone else other than Peter Parker as Spider-Man, not Miles, not Ben Reilly, no one. I think Marvel is being incredibly short-sighted with all the changes they're making, and I don't even hear people talking about Miles much anymore. 

But Peter is Spider-Man in the comics. His character has evolved, which a character should do, and Miles was a way to have a teenage Spider-Man in the 616, and he joined the Avengers, left the Avengers, and is now one of the Champions. I don't think any of us can say how short-sighted or planned-out their editorial decisions are.

Marvel gets the ability to use their biggest character in the MCU, but they're utilizing elements from a version of the character that pretty much fizzled out a few years ago, I question if they're focusing on the long term or trying to capitalize on a modicum of chatter online from a lot of people who don't even know who Miles is, but still think he should replace Peter Parker. Why not make a Sony exclusive film series set several years from now where Miles becomes Spider-Man and give him his own continuity to flourish in, a Batman Beyond type of approach? Make it animated, or don't. But if they think they can replace Peter and the world at large won't mind, I think they're going to regret it. 

Is there a Miles element in the film besides a character who resembles a supporting Miles character that I'm missing? Otherwise, seems like typical high school Peter stuff, but with later-in-life Tony Stark mentoring thrown in. If anyone suggested Miles be in a movie, it was people who were tired of Peter stories, or at least tired of Peter movies. Obviously, there is a lot of love for Peter out there, but also sadly some prejudice. And there is no nostalgia for the character yet. If Ben Reilly was the new Spidey, everyone would love it.

And to answer your question Zach, the Raimi Spider-Man movies are corny beyond belief, 2 is good enough to overcome it but 1 & 3 are cringeworthy. ASM wasn't what it should have been but I was very forgiving because I really liked Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but then they learned nothing from the mistakes they made and made new ones, so that series isn't any better. I'm sure the Raimi comments will do me no favors, but I remember seeing it opening night and being so disappointed, and wondering what everyone else was talking about that I didn't see. 

It's been a while since I've seen the Raimi films, but the first one seemed fine to me, at least at the time -- that Green Goblin rendition had its detractors, but Willem Dafoe can do whatever he likes and I'll enjoy it, and the director having a sense of humor wasn't an issue for me. #2 was great, but #3 had dance sequences and undermined Spidey's origin, so I didn't like it. And I have no problem with the ASM movies -- I like them, for the most part. But that's certainly unfortunate that you don't. Glad something is coming that you may only have small problems with.

I don't read the Miles Spider-Man book, but I do read the Peter one.  I am a big fan of Slott's whole Spidey run, but the current series is misfiring for me.  Peter's become some kind of Batman/Iron Man hybrid, and that just doesn't seem to fit the character at all.  I'm sticking with it, because I do still like the writing, but I feel like they've changed Peter's character fundamentally to make room for Miles, and I don't think the results have been worth it.

In reading some early end of the year summaries, it seems that people are a lot more down on Marvel than I thought.  The general consensus seems to be that a lot of the post-Secret Wars changes have not been very good.  Conversely, people seem to be really liking DC's Rebirth books, which is a real 180 from how things were just a year or two ago. I dunno, I'm always behind on reading this stuff so it's hard for me to say how accurate that is.  But from what I read sales are definitely down for Marvel across the board, which is never a good sign.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:57 PM, suicidewatch said:

Donald Glover is rumored to be The Prowler. There's a shot of him with Logan Marshal Green in the trailer while he's firing a laser. 

Isn't he officially too old for this shit?!  Oh wait...Donald, not Danny.  He's the perfect age for this shit then.

51 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I'm still of the mind that Marvel Comics is getting fans ready for the inevitable recasting of its biggest stars in the MCU. It'll be less jarring to move from Chris Evans' Cap to Anthony Mackie's than it might be to introduce a new guy as Steve Rogers altogether.

Personally, I'd rather see Bucky as the new Cap than Sam.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

If Ben Reilly was the new Spidey, everyone would love it.

Eh. He's my FAVORITE marvel character but even I don't want him to replace Pete. Maybe for A movie. WAYYYY later on in Holland's career as spidey. And even then maybe not for a whole movie assuming they ever do the clone saga which I really doubt. 

I wholeheartedly agree with Valo's post. It seems like Marvel is trying way too hard to appease people who don't even buy comics or pump money into the companies. I'd love to see Miles for sure, why not but not at the expense of Peter. I don't even want my favorite character at the expense of Peter. 

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

I'm still of the mind that Marvel Comics is getting fans ready for the inevitable recasting of its biggest stars in the MCU. It'll be less jarring to move from Chris Evans' Cap to Anthony Mackie's than it might be to introduce a new guy as Steve Rogers altogether.

Think that's very true.  And it may be painful in the short term but a good idea long term.  Or movie fans could have as hard a time accepting some of these new characters as comics fans are and the whole Marvel movie juggernaut could come crashing down once Robert Downey Jr isn't Iron Man.  It'll be fun to wait and see!

5 minutes ago, hellpop said:

Think that's very true.  And it may be painful in the short term but a good idea long term.  Or movie fans could have as hard a time accepting some of these new characters as comics fans are and the whole Marvel movie juggernaut could come crashing down once Robert Downey Jr isn't Iron Man.  It'll be fun to wait and see!

Well, that seems to be what Fox is going through now that Hugh Jackman is finally stepping down as Logan. Fortunately they've not only got a potential X-23 waiting in the wings but a very successful and enthusiastic Ryan Reynolds to fall back on as Deadpool. I imagine Marvel Studios might let certain characters fade into the background (Iron Man, Cap, Thor) while letting others step into the spotlight (Guardians, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange). Hopefully Black Panther and Captain Marvel will keep audiences entertained enough that the lack of Downey and two Chrises isn't noticeable.

Just now, MisterPL said:

Well, that seems to be what Fox is going through now that Hugh Jackman is finally stepping down as Logan. Fortunately they've not only got a potential X-23 waiting in the wings but a very successful and enthusiastic Ryan Reynolds to fall back on as Deadpool. I imagine Marvel Studios might let certain characters fade into the background (Iron Man, Cap, Thor) while letting others step into the spotlight (Guardians, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange). Hopefully Black Panther and Captain Marvel will keep audiences entertained enough that the lack of Downey and two Chrises isn't noticeable.

The question is if audiences will let those characters fade into the background.  It doesn't seem like it's working too well in the comics, as Marvel's attempt to make the Inhumans the new X-Men has been a big dud, and just looking through the month-to-month sales for Marvel in November (as I am doing now) shows some very bad numbers for some supposedly high-profile books and characters.  You can't just say "everyone care about Amadeus Cho now!" and expect everyone to care about Amadeus Cho.

34 minutes ago, hellpop said:

The question is if audiences will let those characters fade into the background.  It doesn't seem like it's working too well in the comics, as Marvel's attempt to make the Inhumans the new X-Men has been a big dud, and just looking through the month-to-month sales for Marvel in November (as I am doing now) shows some very bad numbers for some supposedly high-profile books and characters.  You can't just say "everyone care about Amadeus Cho now!" and expect everyone to care about Amadeus Cho.

I can see Marvel putting different characters like Bucky and Falcon into the role of Captain America for future Avengers films. Then they'll relaunch the solo Cap films with a new (cheaper than Chris Evans) Steve Rogers.

Hulk has already proven audiences are pretty fickle about who plays Banner but if Ruffalo gains much more popularity, they may introduce Cho for a while (or eliminate Hulk's human alter ego altogether).

Iron Man will be the real test. Downey's entire career lead to him becoming Tony Stark, personally and professionally. I can't think of anyone else who comes close except for Charlie Sheen and he's too old and too risky to take over. Honestly, with as much CGI as there is with Shell Head, they really only need Downey's noggin.