UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 73 - Spider-man Homecoming

Mysterious Stranger

Ned Leeds... classic Spider-Man character that Peter didn't meet until well after high school, and then only as the guy his first girlfriend eventually marries. They keep inventing friends for Peter in high school, when the sad fact was, he had none. Not really. Like so many people I know, he didn't really come into his own socially until he got to college. That's when folks like Harry, MJ, and Gwen, and most of the other people we think of as being in Peter's circle of friends first shows up. Originally, only Liz, the cheerleader Peter had a crush on, and Flash, his eternal tormentor, even had names. Until Busiek came along and retconned some folks in decades later. And his first girl friend was JJJ's secretary Betty, who only knew Peter as the shy photographer who freelanced at the Bugle. Again, away from Midtown High, and people's preconceived notions about how uncool and nerdy he was.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

Saw it today and it was great. I'm starting the campaign for a Ned minimate in the sequel wave right now. He was hysterical. ?

He increasingly became more annoying as the movie went on. But I kept thinking about it and that's probably how a high school nerd would act. 

Yep, he was definitely introduced before graduation. 

12 hours ago, Heinous said:

He increasingly became more annoying as the movie went on.

Ha, he did. No spoilers, when he made his statement in the gym I turned to a friend and whispered "i'd kill him, for real".

Which probably explains why I don't have super powers.

Anyone have any good ideas to make the Academic Decathlon jacket?

That, IMO, would have made the SDCC set almost perfect.

The Decathlon Jacket would have put it well over the top from not bad bonus to really cool gotta have. Still, having now seen the movie, yeah, kinda wanting it now just for the Toomes-mate. Darn my low sales resistance.

After seeing the film, I don't recall Aunt May wearing the outfit her minimate has on. Not really a big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

Also the SDCC exclusive set is okay, I agree he should have the Decathlon jacket, or maybe multiple heads with different eye expressions and web wings. Adrian Toomes is great.

I'd agree about May, her outfits were somewhat distinctive and not what ended up as a minimate. Since the Decathlon blazer barely ended up in the movie much I don't miss it too much even though it would have added a little extra value to this set.

Now that I've seen it I can say DST did a good job with character selection. I probably would have preferred a Tony Stark from his scene in the car with Peter over Tinkerer but that might not be a popular opinion.

I would have been happy with an alternate head/hair for Tony with the TRU set. You could then have popped Happy's head off to have Tony in a suit, if you wanted.

12 hours ago, stack32 said:

I'd agree about May, her outfits were somewhat distinctive and not what ended up as a minimate. Since the Decathlon blazer barely ended up in the movie much I don't miss it too much even though it would have added a little extra value to this set.

Now that I've seen it I can say DST did a good job with character selection. I probably would have preferred a Tony Stark from his scene in the car with Peter over Tinkerer but that might not be a popular opinion.

I didn't think Spidey would end up wearing the blazer at all. Great way to telegraph that Spider-Man is a decathlete. (Did he keep his mask on during the entire time he was trapped in that place? I don't recall.)

Speaking on interesting Tony variants, how about a stand that's an empty armor, opened so Tony can step out? It probably wouldn't be a sculpt that would see much if any repeat business but it'd make a sweet custom.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the SDCC set yesterday. Overall I'm a bit disappointed. The Spider-Man figure is what you'd expect though I think the paint coverage for the eyes is slightly worse this time and I noticed the missing blue in the costume more. The accessory hands don't fit well at all. I was able to get the burger hand to fit in the arm most of the way and cover the gap with the web shooter but the hand with the cup won't fit even halfway in. I can see paint getting scraped off and plastic deforming so there's no way it's going to work without trimming the peg.

Toomes is better. Mine has paint scraped off the front of the leg, like sometimes happens when you try to remove a boot piece, and the contrast between the dark blue paint and white plastic underneath is very noticeable. I suspect that won't be a common problem. If you have the head from the Vulture minimate and few extra parts the included chest, jacket, and arms are easy to turn into another figure.

And, of course, the stands fit the feet poorly again. It would be really nice to get this issue resolved.

Edited by stack32

The issue I'm having a lot is the hovering flight stands not supporting flyers over a length of time. Vulture (who hasn't been up as long as others), MCU Vision, DCD Hawkman, have all needed an extra stand, because they tip sideways otherwise. And with the large base of the post, putting two of them next to each other isn't easy.

@The Scarlet Spider has someone besides @stack32 posted anything in hand about the set? Because his main issues sound more like standard bad QC luck of the draw than a flaw with the set itself. And @TENIME_art 's just having trouble with getting stability with the small base of the hover stands. 

6 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

@The Scarlet Spider has someone besides @stack32 posted anything in hand about the set? Because his main issues sound more like standard bad QC luck of the draw than a flaw with the set itself. And @TENIME_art 's just having trouble with getting stability with the small base of the hover stands. 

I've heard multiple complaints about the QC issues on Facebook as well. It seems like the paint is consistently applied poorly as well as the webbing being visible through the eyes. I believe @TheKrisLyons also had trouble with the food hand pegs fitting in as well. When you're already on the fence about the set because it feels uninspired and then you hear these complaints multiple times it kinda puts you off from getting it. 

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait... @The Scarlet Spider are you trying to tell me that folks are using the Facebook group for something besides to sell of their collections? Is that legal?
Huh. Who knew...?

The missing blue on the arms was the same on the regular figure so while I don't like it I can't say it's a surprise.

Vulture is just too heavy for the legs and flight stand to hold out for too long. It's annoying but I'm not sure how it could be otherwise given the design of the costume.

How is anyone not having issues with the stands? I've had that problem consistently for about a year now, a few Predators being the only exception I can think of. I've assumed they started using a new tool for either the feet or stands and the tolerances just don't line up.

So it might be a set with a higher than normal rate of QC issues, but it's not an "every set has issues" kinda problem. MCU mates are my son's section of the collection, I have not been given go ahead to spend "his money" on it yet. Tick tock, kid, tick tock.