UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Inhumans Can No Longer Be Avoided (new TV series)

elhonez

OK. Time for the comic-based Inhuman royal family to make the release calendar? It was recently announced that they're launching an 8-episode series on ABC in the fall of 2017, whose first two episodes will be shown in IMAX theaters everywhere. The show is said to focus on Black Bolt and the royal family.

It's an easy 8-figure comic wave, too: Black Bolt (new deco), Lockjaw (re-release), Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, Crystal, Maximus

I am hopeful that the short 8-episode format, and the influx of cash from IMAX (which is co-producing along with Marvel & ABC), will elevate this above the usual ABC lesser-quality fare and general brand-watering-down that SHIELD and Agent Carter contributed to.

I don't know that we'll get Black Bolt etc in the show as (so far) the MCU Inhumans are basically alien decendants who were transformed into metahumans via terrigen crystals rather than radioactive spider bite/gamma blast/genetic mutation. They haven't gone anywhere near the classic comic characters.

Having said that, I'd be down for MCU figures. Though I'd rather get Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 'mates first.

I love the original Inhumans.  But Marvel trying to shuffle aside the X-Men and put the Inhumans in their place because of movie rights just doesn't feel so fun.

I watched an episode of Agents of Shield because an Inhuman was in the commercial.  But he really didn't do anything and the show wasn't any better than what I had given up on long ago.  I know some people really like it, and that's cool, it just feels like a lot of talking and no action.  The movies are pretty damn good, though.

7 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I don't know that we'll get Black Bolt etc in the show as (so far) the MCU Inhumans are basically alien decendants who were transformed into metahumans via terrigen crystals rather than radioactive spider bite/gamma blast/genetic mutation. They haven't gone anywhere near the classic comic characters.

Having said that, I'd be down for MCU figures. Though I'd rather get Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 'mates first.

Not sure what you're talking about when you say you don't think we'll get black bolt etc in the show? The specifically name black bolt and the royal family in the press release 

4 hours ago, Heinous said:

Not sure what you're talking about when you say you don't think we'll get black bolt etc in the show? The specifically name black bolt and the royal family in the press release 

Don't mind me. I'm just over here in the corner, chewing on my foot.

If they are bringing in the whole Black Bolt clan then I'd hope this is a prequel to the current AoS Inhuman storyline. Like way prequel as in how the Inhumans ended up on Earth, their history with the Kree, etc. But more likely it will be set in the current MCU with the Royal Family coming out of hiding to take charge of their people/avenge their mistreatment/etc.

the article i read said that it would not be a spin off of AOS, so i imagine that means they can start from the ground up with the Inhuman lore. i tried to get into the new Inhumans series when it first came out a few years ago, but didn't care for it. that said, i'd gladly buy a set of the the royal family if they were released as minimates. throw em in the bag.

AOS may be coming to an end. Its ratings have steadily declined, season to season. I think Inhumans may be an attempt to bring higher value Marvel brand content to ABC, which is probably losing money on AOS at this point. It can't be justified on life support for cross marketing value if no one is watching. (below 3M viewers an ep and steadily dropping, i.e. less than the Netflix shows).

I don't know what it is, it's hard to quantify. Other cable shows are "cinematic" - GoT, Westworld, Daredevil. But AoS has always felt like "TV." Despite its effects budget. Simplistic and improbable plots? Cheap sets? I dunno. Maybe the problem is that the MCU connection sets the expectations too high.

10 minutes ago, elhonez said:

AOS may be coming to an end. Its ratings have steadily declined, season to season. I think Inhumans may be an attempt to bring higher value Marvel brand content to ABC, which is probably losing money on AOS at this point. It can't be justified on life support for cross marketing value if no one is watching. (below 3M viewers an ep and steadily dropping, i.e. less than the Netflix shows).

I don't know what it is, it's hard to quantify. Other cable shows are "cinematic" - GoT, Westworld, Daredevil. But AoS has always felt like "TV." Despite its effects budget. Simplistic and improbable plots? Cheap sets? I dunno. Maybe the problem is that the MCU connection sets the expectations too high.

The problem is that its on broadcast TV, essentially public television (meaning no one has to pay to receive the signal). If AoS was on basic cable it would be a different show. They could go into the darker subject matter and really get in depth with the characters. But on broadcast TV they have to appeal to the widest audience possible, and thus the show is "bland" and watered down for mass consumption. AoS has good bones and a great concept. Clark Gregg is brilliant as Coulson but he's gone from cool, mysterious government agent to leading man and that's just not who the character started out as. Unfortunately broadcast TV viewers (according to network execs) aren't interested unless its stereotyped characters and "creature of the week" plotlines.

And before anyone points to the DC shows as being successful on broadcast TV, Supergirl didn't cut it on one of the Big Three. The CW is a niche network with 10 hours of programming a week and might as well be a basic cable station. And they know how to market their programming to their core audience, which skews a LOT younger than the Big Three. You won't get that kind of marketed programming from any of the major networks, no matter how hard they try. We started watching Timeless, a "genre" sci-fi series and even though its been engaging so far in the first few episodes, I can already see it developing into a formulaic "creature of the week" show. Its the same thing with AoS and unfortunately will probably be the same for Inhumans. Broadcast TV just isn't the place for great genre television. At least great genre television that makes tons of money, which the major networks need to keep going. That's why the Netflix shows, GoT, etc do so well. They're paid for already by subscribers so they can loosen the reins a bit and really tell great stories with fully fleshed out characters.

Just imagine AoS on an FX or AMC (corporate red tape not being an issue). Man what a show it could have been. But its a mainstream show on a major network and that's most likely what Inhumans will end up being too. But at least we can say we got an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Inhumans series. Neither would have happened 10 years ago.

I'm torn, they're one of the bigger corners of the MU to get very little attention, but if we only get them because of the show I'm not sure where that leaves the comic versions. We have gotten animated and movie GOTG but still no comic versions, except Gamora. I can live with that since they're fairly close to their comic versions, but the Inhumans may be more of a reinvention. 

I desperately hope we will get classic comic versions of the Inhumans royal family. Classic KIRBY, boy!

Slight redo of Black Bolt and a tiny shade difference on Lockjaw, plus Medusa, Crystal, Gordon, Karnak, Triton and Maximus. Somehow finagle an army builder Alpha Primitive and we'll be golden. 

4 hours ago, Valo487 said:

I'm torn, they're one of the bigger corners of the MU to get very little attention, but if we only get them because of the show I'm not sure where that leaves the comic versions. We have gotten animated and movie GOTG but still no comic versions, except Gamora. I can live with that since they're fairly close to their comic versions, but the Inhumans may be more of a reinvention. 

I'm what we get is more along the lines of what we get for the Fox movies (X-men films mainly.) The last couple we've gotten a comic release to coincide with the release of the movie in theatres or DVD. Days of Future Past got it's own wave but since then Apocalypse released a month after Wave 60 hit shelves. Deadpool hit shelves a month before the films February release. Giant Size wave hit the same month as Apocalypse DVD release. Wave 72 is looking like a possible release with the Logan movie. I'm hoping for something like that with this show. An all Inhumans comic wave to line up with the premiere. I don't think DST can make mates of the Fox movies anymore and I wonder if the reason we haven't gotten AoS mates is something similar... Like DST doesn't have the license for ABC shows or something? 

• 2 months later...