UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pirates of the Caribbean

Start your wish lists. I'll take anything since I've always been fond of the property. What I'm looking for is some innovation.

• Barbossa and Salazar's crew with clear parts to give them a ghostly look

• Davy Jones' pirates with high-gloss spot varnishing to make them look like they're fresh out of the water

• Ships with flocking to simulate moss

• Glow-in-the-dark torches as accessories

• Vac-metallized stands that look like pieces of Aztec gold

• A Tia Dalma Vinimate, one I can tie to a mast

• Undead monkeys, ghost sharks, and a parrot with a tiger

It's a shame DST can't use thermal color-change inks. That'd be perfect for undead crewmembers.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

potc.jpg

This year, pirates are taking over the Minimates line, savvy? Based on the highly anticipated new film, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, this assortment captures all of the heroes and villains of the movie! The four 2-packs in this assortment include Jack Sparrow with Captain Barbossa, Henry with Carina, and two exclusive sets: Salazar's Ghost with Cursed Will Turner, and Captain Salazar with Young Jack Sparrow! Each Minimates mini-figure features 14 points of articulation, removable accessories and fully interchangeable parts. Packaged on a full-color blister card.

I think this line would be great for a sticker kit - what do you guys think? I could make Carina into Elizabeth from the first movie, and then I could do Cursed Jack and Barbossa. :D

3 minutes ago, luke314pi said:

I think this line would be great for a sticker kit - what do you guys think? I could make Carina into Elizabeth from the first movie, and then I could do Cursed Jack and Barbossa. :D

That's a good start! I'm hoping the lines continues past this particular film assortment and becomes an evergreen. (Fun fact: Long before this film, Disney's name for the evergreen Pirates property was "Dead Men Tell No Tales.")

Now where are my zombie sharks?!

1 hour ago, luke314pi said:

potc.jpg

This year, pirates are taking over the Minimates line, savvy? Based on the highly anticipated new film, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, this assortment captures all of the heroes and villains of the movie! The four 2-packs in this assortment include Jack Sparrow with Captain Barbossa, Henry with Carina, and two exclusive sets: Salazar's Ghost with Cursed Will Turner, and Captain Salazar with Young Jack Sparrow! Each Minimates mini-figure features 14 points of articulation, removable accessories and fully interchangeable parts. Packaged on a full-color blister card.

I'd be down for a jack sparrow with all the eyes painted on his face

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

That's a good start! I'm hoping the lines continues past this particular film assortment and becomes an evergreen. (Fun fact: Long before this film, Disney's name for the evergreen Pirates property was "Dead Men Tell No Tales.")

Now where are my zombie sharks?!

Same here. If we end up just getting a wave or two of DMTNT figs, I'll be pretty dissapointed. But hey, some POTC mates are better than no POTC mates.

Yeah I'm kinda on the fence about this property. For starters I barely have enough money to stay invested in marvel, so if this line is only this wave I wouldn't be too upset. At the same time I really love PotC and if they make other waves from the previous movies I'll definitely want to buy them all but I don't want to get these if that's all the mates of PotC that there's going to be. So here I am at a crossroads, should I buy these? If I don't and the line continues the scalped prices will be terrible. Oy. Part of me thinks this'll be a one off considering DST usually doesn't go back and make previews stuff. However Aliens happened so I guess anything's possible. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

This is a pretty high-profile property. Past toy lines based on it haven't done particularly well but those were largely aimed at the mass market. With any luck, this will be a success at specialty and TRU, justifying more series from all the films. Hopefully it also finds a home at The Disney Store and maybe even at the parks.

42 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

This is a pretty high-profile property. Past toy lines based on it haven't done particularly well but those were largely aimed at the mass market. With any luck, this will be a success at specialty and TRU, justifying more series from all the films. Hopefully it also finds a home at The Disney Store and maybe even at the parks.

These would do great in the pirates shop when you get off the ride in Disney. 

I've got a bad feeling about this.

High profile but it's a series that is way past its prime and peaked years ago. There seems to be little buzz for the upcoming film and past toy lines haven't sold well.

The minimates are well done (of course) but this seems like another dud like Alice, Muppets, NuGhostbusters.  

24 minutes ago, arnim zola said:

I didn't know the Muppets were a dud line...

I've seen them lingering in stores, but it's not at the level of Alice or 2016 Ghostbusters, which just didn't show up at all anywhere I've been.

I'd say Muppets is an apt comparison for PotC. They're both well known, but not quite as popular as they used to be. Hopefully the new PotC movie will be more of a support than the new Muppets show.

That's my hope as well. Four years off might have hurt On Stranger Tides but hopefully six years between that at this film will be nurture some demand at the box office and retail.

So far there's only the teaser trailer. If subsequent previews don't totally ruin the movie, people might see it and have a good time. I think audiences could use some good, old-fashioned escapism after the last year.

Was there lost potential? I need to re-watch it -- it was a date night movie, so that may have colored my enjoyment of it.

Sad to see so much negativity about the franchise and the line's chances, but a few comments:

1. We signed Muppets before we knew there was a TV show. We wanted it on the strength of the characters -- not even necessarily the most recent films, but the fact that there was new media out there certainly helped. 

2. We've only seen a teaser trailer. The main character wasn't even in it.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides made over a billion dollars globally against a $250 million budget. It was not some sort of failure, it's the #20 highest grossing film (globally) of all time. Sure, it made more overseas than here, but we have more than just North America in our license, so we're fine with that.

4. Franchises are not always steady descents of quality and return. The Fast and the Furious, Star Wars and Mission Impossible have all come back from financial and creative ebbs.

5. A license with no sales history is more risky than a license where you can look at past products. The last batch of Pirate toys was not necessarily collector-oriented, but NECA's figure line ran for several waves, so I'm assuming sales were at least okay. That said, another sequel product line that didn't do well was Tron 2. The toys lingered, despite being pretty darn cool, and the movie was pretty awesome, IIRC.

There was a Jakks POTC action figure line for the last movie, but sadly it only made it to Wave 2, with some cool figures upcoming in Waves 3 and 4.  But I did get a big ass boat!

I hope this is stronger and lasts longer, but I will appreciate any little pirate 'Mates we get.

Well, I am always entertained by these films. I also never go into a film and try to find things i don't like about it.  Because if you are looking for things to hate, you will no doubt find things to hate.
#everyonesacritic

My question for the people in the know. Will Jack Sparrow's hat be removable from his hair, to sport his bandana/hair separately? Or maybe a separate hairpiece to show this look?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the POTC flicks are damn great action-adventure movies. They're not full of cliches and the usual starts, they have an interesting lore and locationd, the designs are cool, the stories are fun, what more do you want out of a Disney Pirate flick? On Stranger Tides was a bit underwhelming 'cause McShane didn't have much to do as Blackbeard and the new characters were pretty boring, but I enjoyed it. I'm just sad Disney cancelled that Armada of the Damned game. I'd been anxiously awaiting that!

PS: One more vote for resurrecting the Calico Jack ships.

Edited by Kostisfire

9 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Was there lost potential? I need to re-watch it -- it was a date night movie, so that may have colored my enjoyment of it.

I didn't think that On Stranger Tides was made as well as it could've been made. The potential of Blackbeard and the fountain of youth was definetly there. It could've been a rousing pirate adventure, but it fell short of greatness.

New movie comes out May 26th and expected release date for figures is July 26?

I really hope this line does well; so many interesting character possibilities (skeleton monkey is a must have, Davy Jones, Pintel & Ragetti, skeleton crew, Dutchman crew, etc) or a multipack based off the ride. I'm still holding out hope that somehow, someday, a Haunted Mansion set will be made!