UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pirates of the Caribbean

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brookfield Square in Milwaukee had them this afternoon. And when I got home, my sticker kit from Luke was in the mailbox!

I just found these at the local TRU here in Bloomington/Normal, IL.

I walked all the way to the back corner where they have started putting all the "Collectibles" which seems to have all the MiniMates there.  However, they had these up in the very front of the store in their new "Movie Section" right next to Spider-man Homecoming toys, but the Spider-man Homecoming MiniMates are all the way in the back of the store.  I would have never thought about looking in the front but I was there looking at something else and happened to see the PotC MiniMates tucked in with the rest of the PotC toys.

They had four of each two pack.  I got two of the Henry/Carina packs and one of the Jack/Barbossa packs along with three of the Lesaro/Shark packs.

I will still need to order two full sets from Luke (to get the stickers and to make the customs) before I am happy about this line. 

I was also surprised my TRU had them up front after I couldn't find them in the side section.  I just bought the shark 2-pack, though, because I bought a couple sets from Luke's and am interested in trying my hand at customizing with his stickers.  Should be fun.

Does anyone have a good idea/way of removing the head off the Battle Beast Shark to turn the Great White into the Hammerhead from this movie? 

5 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

Does anyone have a good idea/way of removing the head off the Battle Beast Shark to turn the Great White into the Hammerhead from this movie? 

I would either use a rotary cutting tool like a dremel, or a belt/wheel sander. I think the plastic there is too thick for a hobby knife. I have busted quite a few knives on parts like that.

Found the TRU set after work today. They were in the regular aisle with the rest of the PotC toys, but the peg was literally right under another shelf, half hidden by the big pirate ships. I almost missed these but found what looked like a single case. I only grabbed one of the exclusive two-packs for now. I want to see if I can use Lesaro for any of Luke's stickers before getting any more. A Ghost Shark army would be pretty cool.

Found out the DC for my Tru have none in stock, and aren't sure if the are even coming to my region. Usually I can get extra exclusives to help people out, and this time. Was going to grab extras of the regular sets too to help buildy vast of characters. I really enjoy these movies.

On the other hand I got my big box from Luke's with the stickers yesterday and can't wait to start on those! Next three days are packed with family 4th of July actives though (and work Monday). Guess I'll have to get up before everyone else to work on these!

So, do you need the TRU set, Zola? My TRU restocked with a second set and I think I am the only one who bought any from the first case.

21 hours ago, arnim zola said:

Found out the DC for my Tru have none in stock, and aren't sure if the are even coming to my region. Usually I can get extra exclusives to help people out, and this time. Was going to grab extras of the regular sets too to help buildy vast of characters. I really enjoy these movies. 

Why is TRU not allowing an entire region to stock these? My store's been "ineligible" for a few SKUs of Minimates over the years but all it took was a 20-minute drive to the next store to find them. Not lately, though, and this is probably why.

But if this article is any indication, it won't be long before toys based on pirates is considered too inappropriate for ANY region:

http://ew.com/news/2017/06/30/disneyland-bride-auction-pirates-ride/

Edited by MisterPL

On 7/2/2017 at 3:22 PM, Onyx_6 said:

So, do you need the TRU set, Zola? My TRU restocked with a second set and I think I am the only one who bought any from the first case.

Thank you very much for asking!

You know I would like more of the shark set for sure. I got the 2 full sets from Luke but I intended to buy a bunch of the sharks and maybe some more of the other two sets to use for other pirate character customs not on the sticker kit. If you could let me know what kind of selection you have that would be great!

On 7/3/2017 at 8:37 AM, MisterPL said:

Why is TRU not allowing an entire region to stock these? My store's been "ineligible" for a few SKUs of Minimates over the years but all it took was a 20-minute drive to the next store to find them. Not lately, though, and this is probably why.

But if this article is any indication, it won't be long before toys based on pirates is considered too inappropriate for ANY region:

http://ew.com/news/2017/06/30/disneyland-bride-auction-pirates-ride/

When I asked if there was another DC that did some of the city's an hour or so away, they told me the DC here services 250 or so stores. If I don't count babies r us locations that they would cover, I only have 10 in my city. That is too large of a region with customers to keep from stocking a toyline from a popular summer movie franchise. I hope they come in late to the game since they stocked the hell out of the muppets and comic heroes, they somewhat stoked guardians and the wolverine comic wave. but until last night I hadn't seen the new spiderman movie stuff at any of my stores and that was at at a more low traffic location with a less dense collector population.

• 4 weeks later...

@luke314pi I am finally getting to the sticker kit for this, and I am wondering which pieces you painted before applying your stickers and what paints you may have used. Particularly it looks like Ragetti uses a painted Will torso, is that correct?

Also, do you have pics of the others? And are the vested looks color matched to a particular color or torso? 

Thanks!

Edited by Onyx_6
Added more questions!

10 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

@luke314pi I am finally getting to the sticker kit for this, and I am wondering which pieces you painted before applying your stickers and what paints you may have used. Particularly it looks like Ragetti uses a painted Will torso, is that correct?

Also, do you have pics of the others? And are the vested looks color matched to a particular color or torso? 

Thanks!

Yep Ragetti uses Will's torso, and that is the only part from the actual POTC sets that I painted. I mixed my own paint, so I couldn't tell you exactly what paint colors I used, but lately I have been using Vallejo paints. Ragetti's vest is matched to Will's arms. The vests from the cursed looks are matched to Ghost Salazar. The brown and blue vests are not color matched to anything in particular since this set doesn't have a deep blue or brown torso, and I was trying to keep those movie accurate. I never ended up customizing the other figures from the sticker kit.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked some of these up when I was in Louisville to visit family. The likenesses are great but goodness gracious they're light on accessories. A sword or two with each pack but no flintlock for jack? No compass? (haven't seen the new movie but I assume he has it). You have to get both jacks young and modern to get a Look without a hat for modern jack. I wanted to pick up some extras but I don't know with this little accessories :wacko:

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

39 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

These Pirates sets don't seem to be doing very well at all.  All I ever see are two FULL pegs of these things.

It sucks cause if they just came packed with a pistol or alternate hairpiece without a hat or a cool ass blunderbuss or SOMETHING. I'd be looking into getting multiples but as it is it's just not worth the hassle. I can't understand the decision of having the most iconic character without his pistol or a look he has for a lot of the movies (hatless) or without other accessories. I feel like I'm constantly trying to help DST to convince me to buy multiples. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

• 3 weeks later...

There really shouldn't be SO many obvious missed opportunities but its been like that with toy companies for a long time. Almost as if people involved don't think about certain aspects of the end product. Like how some video game programmers dont play games and have game testers since they can't wrap their mind about why a feature or mechanic would be a terrible idea or useless in a certain type of gameplay.

Jack barely ever smiled, much less like his minimate expression. He always had a suspicious and puzzled look because that's how he always was. Lack of alternate hair and accessories always sucks too.

That may be Disney's fault.

I developed product for this last movie using an image supplied of Jack that summed up that suspicious character perfectly. He had that trademark expression that I thought made him so lovable, like a child who was trying to figure out how to get away with something he knew he'd get in trouble for. 

Disney not only rejected the concept but "retired" the image for any use. I'm guessing it's like the Marvel Zombies; they want their heroes to be likable, never nefarious. 

12 hours ago, MisterPL said:

That may be Disney's fault.

I developed product for this last movie using an image supplied of Jack that summed up that suspicious character perfectly. He had that trademark expression that I thought made him so lovable, like a child who was trying to figure out how to get away with something he knew he'd get in trouble for. 

Disney not only rejected the concept but "retired" the image for any use. I'm guessing it's like the Marvel Zombies; they want their heroes to be likable, never nefarious. 

I'm fairly sure that I mentioned it on the forum years ago about how few Minimate characters are blessed with a smile.....a smile that conveys 'happiness' rather than a smug/evil/mocking/insane / leering etc.smile that Minimate 'villains ' often carry.....& one that the Toad will not.

As I understand it Depp based his portrayal of Jack on some really  ol dead looking guy in some rock band ......make your own minds up about that one.

22 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Saves me money I guess. It's a damn shame. Pirates could have been a great property for DST but I have a feeling it went down the toilet. Did this newest movie even do better than On Stranger Tides? 

Overall, not really. It's currently the least profitable film of the franchise since At World's End and that's with a production budget that's $70 million less. It's done terribly in the States and is generally trending downward overseas with the remarkable exception of China where it's made over $100 million more than any previous installment.

I'd argue Depp's personal issues didn't help in the USA. He and Captain Jack run the risk of turning into the next Charlie Sheen and Charlie Harper.

35 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

He and Captain Jack run the risk of turning into the next Charlie Sheen and Charlie Harper.

I'd actually watch a well done Pirates show through something like Netflix or I guess Disney. If they could have a decent overarching story with at least some good backing Characters like Gibbs I'd for sure watch it.