UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Any new licenses for 2017?

For the movie, I'm really hoping for Harry Potter. It's still hugely popular (and if you suffered through the crowd at Harry Potter Fest in Chestnut Hill like I did a few weeks ago, you'd agree), with a great library of characters. HP merch sells in lots of places, so DST continue to build up relationships. There's plenty of cool busts and props and things DST can do. Finally, this would be a good sign of a better continuing relationship with Warner Brothers, which can only lead to more good things. 

I ain't a gamer, so I don't have any horse in that race, but Asassin's Creed would definitely lend itself to the coolest figures, so that gets my vote.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, thereasonsy said:

This is exciting but it pisses me off when I don't get to see DC or the DCTV universe. Or Buffy. Especially when I see those figures being made in other properties and done poorly. Exhibit A:

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of ReAction figures of modern properties. For nostalgia-based lines it makes sense, but Arrow? Buffy? Breaking Bad? Firefly? Pulp Fiction? The Fifth Element? Tomorrowland?

The appeal is to get a variety of properties in one unique style across the board.  If you like retro style figures, you'll probably like them for modern properties as well as older ones, just as you'll probably like Pops or Minimates for multiple styles.  Personally, retro figures do nothing for me no matter the property, but obviously there's a market for these.

4 hours ago, hellpop said:

The appeal is to get a variety of properties in one unique style across the board.  If you like retro style figures, you'll probably like them for modern properties as well as older ones, just as you'll probably like Pops or Minimates for multiple styles.  Personally, retro figures do nothing for me no matter the property, but obviously there's a market for these.

Clearly, there is a market but I am surprised there is more of a market for those then there are for Minimates. 

Is there more of a market for Retro figures than Minimates? I know they have been at Gamestop, but have they been at TRU or Walgreens? Or Target or Walmart, for that matter?

If you mean because they have different/more licenses, Funko has all the licenses thanks to Pops. Not all of those licenses are available to us, or even make sense for us.

18 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Is there more of a market for Retro figures than Minimates? I know they have been at Gamestop, but have they been at TRU or Walgreens? Or Target or Walmart, for that matter?

If you mean because they have different/more licenses, Funko has all the licenses thanks to Pops. Not all of those licenses are available to us, or even make sense for us.

I've seen them all those places except for Walmart and walgreens, they mostly pegwarm or get clearenced out, they're pretty garbage honestly

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart in years but I have seen them in other stores like TRU. I am just a bitter Betty whenever anything DC/Buffy gets made that isn't a mate.

I picked up a few of the ReJection during Hastings last days just to diversify my customs weapons. While I'm giving the figures away I fully expect them to be disfigures and burned for the sake of art. If you like retro figures more power to you but for me it just brings back how terrible figures used to be back in the day. Poor paint apps, bad character proportions, and little attempt at character likenesses just makes me want to replace my childhood Star Wars figure memories with minimate versions.

I'll admit I still pick up original retro Star Wars toys when I find them since I just feel like owning a bit of history. (All my Jedi lost their retractable lightsabres. I've got painted toothpicks to replace them!) But the reaction figures? Yeah no they... they should not be. I've seen people buy a couple of the Universal Monsters before but never anything else whatsoever. It's quite sad really. RIP in peace. 

At my LCS, at least, the nostalgia properties have mostly sold, but the more recent properties (especially Fifth Element) have been lingering for quite a while.

I don't have any of them myself. I almost bought a Mal Reynolds, because the concept of 10-15 $ Firefly toys was exciting. The figures themselves were enough to turn me away.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

14 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Toys R Us  =  Yes

Target  =  Yes

Walgreens  =  no

Wal-Mart  =  no

Minimates has Toys R Us and Walgreens.  I would say that Target is bigger than Walgreens so I guess there is slightly more of a market for Retro figures than Minimates.

Edited by MisterMiracle