UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Never made, ever

bigvis497

There was some interesting talk in another thread about Crystal never receiving an action figure that I felt deserved its own topic. What major characters out of the Marvel library have never received an action figure of any kind, ever? I'm talking about action figures only and not just 3D representation so Heroclix and statues wouldn't count. Mego, 90's Toybiz, Minimates (which have done an awesome job with character selection), Legends, etc. would count. And by major character I obviously don't mean A-listers but the character has to be of some importance. It can't be someone who only showed up in a backup strip in an annual. And these are distinct characters only, "this version of Iron Man" or "this Rogue costume" doesn't count.

Crystal is a good one. Classic Lee/Kirby creation. Served as an Avenger. Ties to the Inhumans, Quicksilver and the Fantastic Four. Was a rare F4 member outside of the core four.

I was going to say Quasar until I just realized he has 3 3/4" figure that just came out. So I'll say:

nightthrasher.jpg

Night Thrasher. Led the New Warriors. Had his own series when the Marvel line was strong enough to support multiple New Warriors spin-offs (http://marvel.com/news/comics/23696/marvel_75_new_warriors_heroes_for_the_90s) Most of his New Warriors teammates have been made in one form or another. Has nineties nostalgia. Has a great look for toy potential. Never had an action figure.

Who else? And why?

Edited by bigvis497

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

Speedball?  I don't think they ever made a 90's Toy Biz version or a Marvel Legends. 

He wouldn't count since Minimates made him as Penance. But Baldwin as Speedball has never been made. Would have been a natural fit for a Spider-Man wave somewhere.

I know there's a Penance Minimate but I don't count that.  That's like saying we don't need a Hal Jordan Green Lantern because we have Parallax.  (I was trying to stick to a Marvel reference for that but I couldn't think of a good one.)

Edited by MisterMiracle

1 hour ago, bigvis497 said:

And these are distinct characters only, "this version of Iron Man" or "this Rogue costume" doesn't count.

14 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

I know there's a Penance Minimate but I don't count that.  That's like saying we don't need a Hal Jordan Green Lantern because we have Parallax.  (I was trying to stick to a Marvel reference for that but I couldn't think of a good one.)

Still the same guy.

Edited by bigvis497

30 minutes ago, Heinous said:

Cardiac is a character I always wanted 

Very cool character design. As a Spidey villain you could never rule him out completely but he's kind of minor. That costume could prove problematic to toymakers.

1 hour ago, MisterMiracle said:

Shadow King?

The Toybiz AOA line had a Shadow King pack-in figure. Unarticulated but it's packaged with a figure so I'd count it. Not sure how you would articulate a psychic cloud anyway :)

Other than Fury and Dum Dum, have any of the other original Howling Commandos ever been made into action figures?  Kudos to DST for making him, but I'm not counting the MCU Gabe Jones Minimate.

Pinky Pinkerton, Dino Manelli, Junior Juniper, Rebel Ralson, Izzy Cohen, Gabe Jones...these would all be fun Minimates with lots of army builder appeal.

SF003wahhooo.jpg

Throw in a supporting boxset of Strucker's Blitzkreig Squad!

blitzkrieg_squad.jpg

14 minutes ago, youbastards said:

Other than Fury and Dum Dum, have any of the other original Howling Commandos ever been made into action figures?  Kudos to DST for making him, but I'm not counting the MCU Gabe Jones Minimate.

Pinky Pinkerton, Dino Manelli, Junior Juniper, Rebel Ralson, Izzy Cohen, Gabe Jones...these would all be fun Minimates with lots of army builder appeal.

SF003wahhooo.jpg

Throw in a supporting boxset of Strucker's Blitzkreig Squad!

blitzkrieg_squad.jpg

Youbastards, some friends of mine just did a podcast focusing solely on the classic Howling Commandos comics. It's called "Imaginary Stories," I can find a link if you're interested.

40 minutes ago, youbastards said:

Does this count?  Are these considered 'action figures'?

s-l225.jpg

Shang-Chi counts for his ToyBiz repaint and for SuperHero Squad.

How cool was SuperHero Squad? I never followed closely but every so often I see something like this and think "wow, they made HIM?"

Sure, post it and I'll give a listen.  Howling Commandos doesn't get the recognition it deserves.  Marvel's first black character, dealing with racism against Japanese Americans, casualties of war...some pretty heavy stuff for the early sixties, they were really important comics.

Another:

Clea.jpg

Edited by youbastards

OK, judging by your response I'm pretty sure you'll like this. They go over all of that stuff:

http://placetobenation.com/imaginary-stories-episode-7-sgt-fury-and-his-howling-commandos/

Also, maybe give a little background for why the character should be made? Just wanted to distinguish this from the wishlist thread. Lots of great choices so far. With the popularity of Netflix/MCU I'm betting we scratch a few off of this list one way or another in the coming year.

1 hour ago, bigvis497 said:

Very cool character design. As a Spidey villain you could never rule him out completely but he's kind of minor. That costume could prove problematic to toymakers.

The Toybiz AOA line had a Shadow King pack-in figure. Unarticulated but it's packaged with a figure so I'd count it. Not sure how you would articulate a psychic cloud anyway :)

What about cardiac's costume would be problematic? 

Also regarding shadow King

http://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=view&id=26854

Edited by Heinous

Just now, Heinous said:

What about cardiac's costume would be problematic? 

Sorry, what I meant was it's nothing controversial or anything like that, it's just a very busy design. Lots of whites on top of blues. You'll hear a lot of artists say they hate drawing Jack of Hearts for the same reason, his design is very "busy" (and that's probably a good reason why we don't have an action figure of him either).