UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thread idea.

Swarm198

So, just to spark up some conversations on here (I don't have anyone to really talk about 'mates to in my personal life), I thought I'd propose an idea for a new weekly thread. I thought it'd be neat to pick a different character every week to discuss. What's your favorite version of the character? Least favorite? What version(s) are we still missing? And so on...

So to kick things off I choose Wolverine, since he just got a spiffy new wave dedicated to him.

My favorite Wolverine minimate this far has been the X-Force black and grey costume that came with a Hydra goon. He's perfect to me. The costume is my favorite, the storyline is incredible, the two X-Force teams were great, and this figure is just dead on. I'll never understand why DST didn't continue those claws.

Least favorite is probably is the kid version, James Howlett. Just seemed really unnecessary for me.

We've gotten a lot of Wolverines, but the one I'm wanting most now is the black suit with yellow trim from when he worked with Maverick. I think that would make the most excellent two-pack.

So there's my two cents. Hopefully everyone here agrees that this will liven up the place a bit. Now what do you all think?

Great idea!

I have a tie for my favorites:

MvC Wolverine, because its my favorite post-90s attire.

fig1304flg.jpg

and

Wave 28 Wolverine because it feels iconic.

fig0898flg.jpg

My least favorite:

Original Giant size X-Men Wolverine. I know, he's cute and a reminder of simpler times, but even back in 2004 I thought he looked silly.

fig0096flg.jpg

Future Wolverine: 

Hmmmm... I really wanted a better Weapon X and now we got it coming soon, so I'm not sure now.

Thanks to MMDB for the photos!

That's a great idea for a thread!

Favourite:

fig1713flg.jpg

While I love certain costumes like the 90s one or the recent Payback look, this mate captured Ultimate Wolvie perfectly. Plus, it's got all of my favourite things: X-TREME muscle detailing, metallic colours and not to mention that great hairpiece.

Least Favourite:

fig1128flg.jpg

I could've easily picked one of the early mates, but this one was really, really bad. Flimsy limbs, bad plastic, muted colours, a huge mask, just... bad.

Future Mate:

latest?cb=20110825014747

That's a tough one, because we've gotten pretty much every important version of Wolvie, but I really liked this variant, so... yeah. If other Wolverines count though, I'd love a Dark Wolverine Daken:

daken___dark_wolverine_origin_by_comifab

Favorite: Wave 28. Alternate hands, alternate hair and a great iconic look. His smug grin and the little costume details bring me back to the time I started collecting comics.

Least: Symbiote Wolverine. never liked cheesy one-shot mash-up verions of characters especially if they're from terrible stories.

My top 3 are:

Wave 28 - same reasons as bigvis.

X-Force - It just translates really well to a minimate. It's my favorite expression for Wolverine, too.

DOFP - Despite the length of the jacket, I just love how he looks. I have trouble putting this one down.

Least Favorite - The infamous TRU 9 Brown Wolverine. Bad plastic, bad coloring and that big, ugly mask.

Great idea for a thread! I hope this one continues as we have MANY different iterations of MANY different characters.

Edited by NerdyTrev

This is a great idea for a thread! I agree with Vis and Trev, Wave 28 is my favorite and I wish that was the figure that got used in the "Best of" and "Greatest Hits" waves. Just nailed Wolverine in every way a figure can.

Least favorite is this...

fig1131flg.jpg

I like the costume, the colors and the storyline it's from but the figure just falls so flat for me with the wide boots, the new mold for the mask makes Logan look like he has buckteeth, and the mask just looks strange in general.

For a future mate I want Daken. That was the one disappointment for me with wave 72 was no Daken.

Edited by Chigarillo

My favourite Wolverine minimate is probably the Wave 68 GSXM Wolverine. The lack of alternate hands is disappointing, but the classic style of his face and chest detailing are fantastic, as well as his colours and lack of a bulky belt. I will admit that I am biased, since this figure represents my favourite era for the X-Men.

My least favourite is, as others have said, the TRU 9 brown costume Wolverine. The colours and plastic look off, his alternate hands are the wrong colour, and his mask is inferior to the previous versions.

My most wanted new Wolverine variant is his black Madripoor outfit.

wolv-bigcostume6.jpg

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

Spoiler
17 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

My favorite Wolverine minimate this far has been the X-Force black and grey costume that came with a Hydra goon. He's perfect to me. The costume is my favorite, the storyline is incredible, the two X-Force teams were great, and this figure is just dead on. I'll never understand why DST didn't continue those claws

I'm with you on that X-Force Wolverine I.  I love the expression on his face.  It's got so much awesome attitude.  The parts and paints are all crisp and clean, and the design/colors really work well as a toy.  And those claws are menacing.  However...

6 hours ago, Chigarillo said:

This is a great idea for a thread! I agree with Vis and Trev, Wave 28 is my favorite and I wish that was the figure that got used in the "Best of" and "Greatest Hits" waves. Just nailed Wolverine in every way a figure can.

fig1131flg.jpg

I like the costume, the colors and the storyline it's from but the figure just falls so flat for me with the wide boots, the new mold for the mask makes Logan look like he has buckteeth, and the mask just looks strange in general.

I agree with this one as the worst.  I have no idea WTF DST was thinking.  X-Force Wolverine I is a masterpiece.  X-Force Wolverine II is a multiple steps in the wrong direction.  The mask is obviously the worst part.  It's horrible.  I'm not crazy about the gloves or boots used here either.  Those glove pieces might work well on other mates, but not here.  All of these missteps are especially glaring when you compare it the first and far superior 'mate.  

The Wolverine I'd like to see is Fang costume.

And I have no idea why the MMMV is only letting me post in spoilers.  There's really nothing special to see here.  

Great idea! And great choice for the first character also, since I have a Wolverine's collection as well.

My favorite: Brown Costume Wolverine - Marvel Wave 47. The best costume IMHO.

fig1461flg.jpgfig1461b2lg.jpg

Least favorite: Darktide DVD Set. He must be in pain. A lot of pain. And I don't like this costume.

fig0123flg.jpg

Future Wolverine: Black Madripoor, X-Men Evolution or even the Savage Wolverine

Fun thread. Here's me, Hailing Ivan all the way.

Favorite:

fig1461flg.jpgand fig0757flg.jpg... I am a student of the classics

Least Favorite:

fig1715flg.jpg... I mean, come on. Wtf is this. gob-bluth.gif

Future:

wolv-bigcostume4.jpg...and I'm sure fans of the Imperial Guard would support an alt head with this.

Edited by elhonez

18 hours ago, Chigarillo said:

fig1131flg.jpg

Not sure who my favorite, or least favorite Wolverine is yet, or even one I'd like to see be made.... BUT...... I absolutely love this mask that everyone hates. The mate is in the middle of the pack for me, but just wanted to chime in that I may be the only one who loves this mask!

Edited by Nervous Rex
deleted unneeded section of quote...

24 minutes ago, Nervous Rex said:

Not sure who my favorite, or least favorite Wolverine is yet, or even one I'd like to see be made.... BUT...... I absolutely love this mask that everyone hates. The mate is in the middle of the pack for me, but just wanted to chime in that I may be the only one who loves this mask!

Yeah, I also really like it. I had both, but the 29 one got uhm... "destroyed", and while I'm only left with the 4-Pack one, I've got to say, the mate ain't that bad. Maybe it's because I'm really into sculpted pieces, but I find the mask cool since it's so unique. Either way, I still have the 29 mask saved, so I can change them when I feel like it, but I don't see how this'd be the worst Wolvie mate. That TRU-Verine & the ones from the TTA 4-Pack are far more deserving of that "honour".

9 hours ago, elhonez said:

Least Favorite:

fig1715flg.jpg... I mean, come on. Wtf is this. gob-bluth.gif

Really? I thought that it was most creative/interesting choices they could have gone with.

I should probably mention that It's one of my favorite 'mates in general.

1 hour ago, elhonez said:

Yeah no disrespect for the creativity involved, I just prefer the classics & more grounded stuff. I should probably mention that I have always hated Venom, and anything Venom-related.

May I ask why? Nothing against your opinion, just curious.

I never understood the love for the modern X-Force stuff. I tried reading that series a few times and just couldn't read it without laughing. It was so unaware of itself and it was so busy constantly telling you how everything was INDEED. VERY. SERIOUS. And just in case they didn't hammer home how serious and dark this comic was, the characters wore DARKER versions of their regular costumes. To deal with HOW DARK everything was. Nothing about the comic was fun. So yeah, they black and grey Wolverine's bore me.

I'm 33 so I'm probably not the demographic for these kinds of books, but give me fun comics any day of the week. What I love about the Claremont run (and good comics in general) is that even when it's at its most bleak, there's still an air of hope underneath  all the despair. I can't read a book that's only about misery.

7 hours ago, Gmonkey2k said:

May I ask why? Nothing against your opinion, just curious.

Eh. I'm one of those grumpy old guys who saw this as one of the precursors to the "Nineties Nadir." I liked the black costume, and the death of the symbiote, when it sacrificed itself to save Peter. And I always thought it should have ended there. Making it into a big monster with teeth just seemed like "doin' too much." But this was a time of excess in the comics I suppose.

Regarding X-Force, fun probably isn't the right word but it was entertaining because it took a bunch of X-men regulars and put them through the ringer to see how much they could take. I thought it really proved that Logan was capable of leading a team of his own. Plus it had some great moments like the stuff with Rayne and Hrimrari, the time travel stuff with Cable, Laura and her "issues" (did that ever get touched on later?) and James finally getting closure with his brother. But yeah it was a super dark book, but really almost all the X-books around that time were. There was buses of kids getting murdered in New X-Men, Jubilee and the Dracula storylines, Necrosha, Cyclops going all Mutant Savior, Madelyne Pryor showing up in bondage gear (ewww,) Vulcan starting wars and killing everything in space. Not much light-hearted stuff in any of the X-books at that time. It was all so Grim-Dark so I can see why people wouldn't like it but there was some good stuff sprinkled in there.

31 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

I loved when they had

Hide contents

Elixir put an X-shaped tumor in Vanisher's brain, to force him to work with them.

Super dark, but still kinda funny, lol. *shrug*

Spoiler

Yeah. The later pay off of Vanisher throwing up and getting sick only for Elixir to reveal the tumor was gone and it was due to his chlamydia was hilarious as well.

I don't think I really had a favourite wolverine but looking around, this might seem like an odd choice but I still have this guy displayed with my 80's x-men

fig0052flg_zps5uckz4af.jpg

I like his big boots as opposed to the boot fronts that were used on later wolvies I also think the tan colour is more in tone with claremont's art then the more yellow one in the actually x-men 80's wave

As for the worse

fig1020flg_zpsjzakvmo4.jpg

This is simply for the reason I never got a chance to appreciate him in any sort of a way as I brought two of the boxsets he came in and both broke at the hips straight out of the box, so straight in the parts bin for him.

for future as a legion of superheroes fan I would really enjoy the fang costume with timberwolf head (oops sorry fang head). But because somebody already said that I will pick x-baby wolvie as a friend for the upcoming spidey fig

Wolverine-Logan-X-Men-X-Babies-Marvel-Co