UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 71 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (TBA)

youbastards

The good thing about the Milano is that there are no new characters in it. So, if you're happy with the one you have, there's not much incentive to buy the new one.
Aside from costume variants, the only thing wildly different about any of the figures is the micro baby Groot, and you can get him with the Mantis set too :)

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - this *might* be the first full line-up of a comic team that Select has done. And it's all coming out at once!
If this is a trend going forward, I'll be considering Selects a bit more.

Usually Marvel.com exclusives are also offered at the Disney Store, or at least their website.

The Marvel Select figures look great, and Groot and Rocket will replace the Hasbro offerings in my 6" collection (Gamora probably will too).  The Lego sets are uninspiring.  I hadn't seen the package shots of the Minimates until now, but Rocket's headsculpt is fantastic.  I like Star Lord's head, though not as Star Lord.  He looks like a swashbuckler.  Be a good head for a Fandrall or Erroll Flynn custom.

Have you guys thought about using the wolfman legs instead of the rabbit? I think it would look way better, considering the goofy roundness of the bunny legs, but that's just me.

I will get this set because i do like Rocket, and baby root is the bees knees! i'd like to end up with a bunch of those and customize them into different little characters..... they'd look great painted as children, stuffed into a Krampus basket.

I thought maybe the White Rabbit had smaller legs than the Easter Bunny. I'm thinking maybe Cheshire Cat legs now, but I don't even have one of the Hot Topic exclusive, let alone an extra (and the regular, TRU ex isn't coming out anymore :().

I think the wolfman's might be too big proportionately.

31 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

I thought maybe the White Rabbit had smaller legs than the Easter Bunny. I'm thinking maybe Cheshire Cat legs now, but I don't even have one of the Hot Topic exclusive, let alone an extra (and the regular, TRU ex isn't coming out anymore :().

I think the wolfman's might be too big proportionately.

But..... that's what minimates are all about ... 2 inch scale ... when we start getting minimates that are more than the basic 2 inch scale, like an 8 inch sentinal or galactus, then i'll be more worried about proportion. My main thing is how good the figure looks. i don't mind putting a bigger Rocket next to Groot or spiderman, or whoever, as long as it looks good. I'm totally fine with shorter characters using the kid body, I would have been fine if rocket had used the kid legs. But I'll say again, that's just me..... 

A while ago binoboi put out a notice that he was working on a way to mass produce or make production cheaper for 8" sentinels. If he succeeds I think we'll see an influx of Sentinels and maybe other large scale villains. I mean it'd probably be just as cheap to commission a 3-4" Juggernaut from him instead of paying for an old Excalibur one. The commission would probably be better too lol. I've seriously thought about saving up and having him to do huge characters for me since DST can't, I love DST but I want a bigger hulk and abomination and other characters like that in scale. 

Heck maybe he could even work out Annette proportioned Rocket. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

A while ago binoboi put out a notice that he was working on a way to mass produce or make production cheaper for 8" sentinels. If he succeeds...

... he can expect a cease & desist from DST's attorneys the moment he accepts pre-orders. B)

It's not really about killing it for the fans. It's about protecting one's intellectual property. If I had the rights to Minimates, I'd make sure no one else was mass producing ANYTHING resembling them.

Then again, I'd find a way to offer them in different sizes, kinda like Vinimates.

Gotta tell him not to "mass produce" then lol 

I mean if you're not offering an option to someone who likes your product and a person can fill that niche that people want then I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I get the intellectual property thing since it's their baby but if they're not gonna offer articulated bigger mates and someone is then I'm not gonna lose sleep over supporting someone else and hoping they can keep providing it for me. 

eh i'd just better buy em quick lol. I didn't know it'd be such a big deal. Like I said if DST isn't gonna make them that size and someone else does more power to em it seems like the only reason they'd try to shut em down is out of spite. "Quit making product we'll never make". I doubt he'd get in too much trouble anyhow, he lives in another country.

14 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

eh i'd just better buy em quick lol. I didn't know it'd be such a big deal. Like I said if DST isn't gonna make them that size and someone else does more power to em it seems like the only reason they'd try to shut em down is out of spite. "Quit making product we'll never make". I doubt he'd get in too much trouble anyhow, he lives in another country.

Imagine you created something unique that no one else had.

Now imagine someone else copied your work and started making money off of it.

It's theft.

I'm a fan of 3rd party Transformers, so I'm not vilifying you for supporting it. But without licensing, it's still theft.

If someone started printing my artwork and selling it, they are stealing money from me. You bet your ass I'm going to do everything in my power to stop them. It's not spite. It's protecting your work.

But yes, if he's in another country, it's harder to prosecute.

1 hour ago, TENIME_art said:

Imagine you created something unique that no one else had.

Now imagine someone else copied your work and started making money off of it.

It's theft.

I'm a fan of 3rd party Transformers, so I'm not vilifying you for supporting it. But without licensing, it's still theft.

If someone started printing my artwork and selling it, they are stealing money from me. You bet your ass I'm going to do everything in my power to stop them. It's not spite. It's protecting your work.

But yes, if he's in another country, it's harder to prosecute.

I get that aspect of it and I even assumed someone would make this argument and I completely understand that and I agree. It feels different to me I suppose. Artwork seems more personal than plastic children's toys, but I agree with you! Stealing intellectual property is terrible, it's actually one of the worst things that can happen in my opinion. I've had your example happen to me  I've had lyrics and guitar riffs stolen and it kills me that someone is performing my shit that I created, maybe not making money off of but still. 

Like I said, though,  when it comes to plastic toys it kinda feels like a different situation to me. Especially if it's never going to be made otherwise. Like if it was literally the same product and DST put it out (much like boot lego) but the other was still cheaper I'd still go to DST because i wanna support them. I guess it's an odd topic because to me it is the same as 3rd party transformers or bootlegos where everyone knows to give credit to the original makers and in this case the product would never get made other wise like ever, and like you said  everyone seems all hunky dory okay with those entire lines even though I assume the sculpts are basically the same?

It is a tricky subject I guess and I definitely didn't mean to make it seem like I was insensitive to plagiarism or taking other people's ideas because that's not the case. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider