UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 71 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (TBA)

youbastards

18 hours ago, hellpop said:

I agree with you in theory, Nerv, though I have a hard time backing you up right now since we just got the Giant Size X-Men wave and have the Black Knight wave shipping this week.  I don't think that mixing movie and comic characters together the way Hasbro has done would work for Minimates, but I do hope we continue to see a better spacing between movie and comics releases.  I wonder if breaking up the movie and comics waves up between TRU and comics shops would make sense?  It's not like they usually ship together, or are usually on shelves when the movies are out, so why not have a comics wave arriving at one location while a movie wave is arriving at the other?

I cant argue with you, valid points. I only posted something because of what Zach said. I flat out skip 95% of the movie stuff, and I'll add in the TV/Netflix into that as well. Funny timing, because waves 68 and 69 are hitting pretty close together. But, if you take away all the movie and tv stuff, I have to go back to January as the last time i bought anything from the Marvel waves.I did manage to grab a Nighthawk, and Hyperion (and still have that other pack if you want to grab it ;-) ). Other than the Black Knight and Falcon, I don't see anything I'm very interested in on the marvel side ,other than Mojo (who i hate as a character, but the Minimate is very well done).

Bottom line, I'd be buying more mates if there were more comic mates being made. Since i don't buy Movie Mates, I'd be onboard for some comic companion sets that relate to the movies. The huge amount of time I personally have to wait in between the sets i want is what has lowered my interest and passion for minimates in general. Again, if it wasn't for stuff like the Muppets, NBX, and hopefully some awesome Elf mates, I don't know if I'd be in the hobby anymore.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Since I am not paying attention to the film spoilers and the Mates are still not visible I was just hoping. I've been on a Vance Astro kick for almost a decade now.

You know there is text to go with the picture, right?

Marvel Minimates Series 71 Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Asst.

A Diamond Select Toys release! The greatest mix-tape in the galaxy is back! The unlikely team of misfits known as Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is coming back to our solar system with a new movie, and DST is marking the occasion with a new assortment of Minimates based on the film! Four new two-packs capture the main cast in 2-inch mini-figure form: Starlord pairs with Yondu, Gamora with Rocket and Groot, and two comic-shop-exclusive sets feature Ego with Ayesha and Taserface with Mantis. Each Minimate features up to 14 points of articulation and fully interchangeable parts, and each 2-pack comes in a full-color window box. You’re welcome! (Item #NOV162442, SRP: $9.99/ea.)

And I confirmed Nebula and Drax at TRU. 

22 hours ago, Nervous Rex said:

Trying not to be negative, but only stating a fact here... This formula is what has been pushing me away from minimates. If it wasn't for the muppets and NBX and the excitement that Elf brings for me, I may have stopped the hobby altogether at this point.  I wish there were more comic companion waves to all the movie stuff ( i am not factoring in anything like cost and schedule, or anything else, in case anyone felt like challenging me with stats/numbers/buyers/etc... This is only based on me liking comic versions way better than movie versions of 99% of the characters)

I know your preferences, Nervous, but we can't argue with the stats. The movie waves sell better. Chuck will never walk away from comic series, especially when he can time one to a movie like Series 72, but making 50% of our offerings movies and TV based is totally influenced by how the majority of "Marvel fans" enjoy their Marvel content. Comic readers are now a minority compared to filmgoers and Netflix subscribers. 

But like I said, Chuck knows who brought us to the dance, and he and Barry have some cool comic stuff planned for TRU 24, TRU 25, Series 75 and an upcoming box set, not to mention the next couple of Walgreens assortments, 5 and 6. You might even see something you like for Homecoming and Ragnarok, too.

Edited by DSTZach

34 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

But like I said, Chuck knows who brought us to the dance, and he and Barry have some cool comic stuff planned for TRU 24, TRU 25, Series 75 and an upcoming box set, not to mention the next couple of Walgreens assortments, 5 and 6. You might even see something you like for Homecoming and Ragnarok, too.

If 74 isn't comic based, does that mean it's the Ragnarok wave?

I hope we hear more about these comic based assortments soon.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

I know your preferences, Nervous, but we can't argue with the stats. The movie waves sell better. Chuck will never walk away from comic series, especially when he can time one to a movie like Series 72, but making 50% of our offerings movies and TV based is totally influenced by how the majority of "Marvel fans" enjoy their Marvel content. Comic readers are now a minority compared to filmgoers and Netflix subscribers. 

Absolutely agree... I never intended on arguing stats or basing my wants on anything that made sense, lol... i know the movie stuff is killing it, and love that for DST... merely saying what I want, and the majority of what has been coming out, are two different things. I think the movie stuff looks really good, but not my cup of tea. I think Ragnarok may be an exception (based on costumes). I'll look out for those upcoming series..... but that's the same thing again, the waiting game for me is so long in between waves I like. not mad or anything, maybe its just my time ...

6 minutes ago, Nervous Rex said:

I think the movie stuff looks really good, but not my cup of tea.

...the waiting game for me is so long in between waves I like. 

Yeah, I feel the same way.  I still buy a lot of the movie stuff to help out others on here and the Mobb that want them but I generally pass on the movie sets for myself.  I'm excited to hear there's some more comic stuff in the pipeline though!

Edited by MisterMiracle

My problem with Legends' formula, is we miss out on timely movie figures for timeless comic figures that people will buy anyway. No AoU Wanda or Pietro, no GotG1 Ronan, still no Nebula from either movie, and I was hoping on an articulated Rocket with a Baby Groot (DST is giving that to us because of their formula). At least Hasbro finally gives us a Yondu. <_<

See, I'm on the opposite of Nervous Rex here. I'm primarily a movie/TV collector so when there is a comic wave coming out that doesn't interest me I get a little bummed I can't really share in the excitement. Though I do find myself cherry picking more and more comic stuff lately (Deadpool wave most recently).

Nervous, I'm surprised there isn't more in Series 72 to tempt you, like Silver Samurai and Spiral, but I know you like what you like.

And not that there is anything to argue about comic vs. film, but Tenime raises another reason to continue our movie stuff -- beyond the strong sales, we are the only company offering certain movie characters (or ANY TV characters, as far as I can tell so far) in figure form outside of POPs. So we've become a resource for people who enjoy those representations. Even the Fox movies -- after being the only toy line for a few different X-films, people have been asking where their Minimates are for XM: Apocalypse, and I know there will be questions about OML.

There's so much cross-pollination between film and comic designs, the differences are getting blurrier, especially to the relatively uninitiated. I know this is a discerning crowd and there are plenty who wouldn't dare display an animated Spidey next to a comic book Kraven but there are others who'd have no problem with it. Back in the day I wanted as many Ultimates as I could get. The MCU has quenched that thirst.

Sure, there are some costumes that would look ridiculous in the same display (classic comic Electro with Amazing Spider-Man Spidey) but there are others that blend right in (Incredible Hulk General Ross with comic J. Jonah Jameson). Heck, my Mass Effect Minimates looked terrific as extras in my Guardians of the Galaxy display. 

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

You know there is text to go with the picture, right?

Marvel Minimates Series 71 Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Asst.

A Diamond Select Toys release! The greatest mix-tape in the galaxy is back! The unlikely team of misfits known as Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is coming back to our solar system with a new movie, and DST is marking the occasion with a new assortment of Minimates based on the film! Four new two-packs capture the main cast in 2-inch mini-figure form: Starlord pairs with Yondu, Gamora with Rocket and Groot, and two comic-shop-exclusive sets feature Ego with Ayesha and Taserface with Mantis. Each Minimate features up to 14 points of articulation and fully interchangeable parts, and each 2-pack comes in a full-color window box. You’re welcome! (Item #NOV162442, SRP: $9.99/ea.)

And I confirmed Nebula and Drax at TRU. 

No I didn't since again I didn't really want to know too much. Thanks...

2 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

No I didn't since again I didn't really want to know too much. Thanks...

Sorry, I didn't pick up on that, only that you weren't paying attention to film spoilers. Sorry if you think this counts, although I don't think a list of characters should. One was in the trailer, one is an unknown, one is virtually unrecognizable, and the other looks like he got tasered in the face. The rest are returning.

• 4 weeks later...

Funko released images of their GOTG2 stuff so it should be ok.  I'm pumped for this wave, hopefully they'll hit closer to the theater release this time, I think the LCS wave for gotg came out only a month or two before it came out on bluray (The TRU wave was closer to the theater release though).

Star lord, gamora, taserface, mantis and gamora all last look ace. Yondu looks good too, but I'm not sure why his mohawk is so  short, rockets arms and legs look better than the control art, but now he looks a little pin headed, and groot should be a darker color, and I'm glad they ditched that massive chest pieces for drax

Star-Lord and Drax look like big improvements over the previous versions. It's a shame that I'll likely have trouble finding Drax, what with TRU Canada not stocking 'mates, since he looks so much better without that chest piece. Gamora and Nebula look good. Yondu looks very similar to his last minimate, but I don't have it so I don't mind. I can't say I really care for Taserface's design, but I'll still get the pack because of Mantis, who looks fantastic. Rocket and Groot look great too, but I'll echo the previous concerns about Rocket's head and Groot's colour.