Heinous

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know the feeling. :(

I really liked the first two episodes (which are basically the pilot), but I've become a little frustrated as it's rolled on. I think it suffers through Netflix syndrome, where most episodes seem more interested in advancing the subplots than having good, y'know, plot plots. We're gonna watch the last one tonight; hopefully it sticks the landing.

I need to watch Castlevania 2.

I also need to watch Iron Fist 2 and Daredevil 3. I gave up on JJ2 3/4 way through and Luke 2 1/4 of the way through, but I like JEssica Henwick and Vincent D'Onofrio.

I watched an episode of Disenchanted, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. BUT it was the pilot, which usually are not good.

BUT I finally finished Longmire! I left the last couple episodes for several months, out of denial. 

Currently watching Westworld Season 1.

• 1 month later...

I find myself reflecting sometimes on what I feel is the undeserved success of Funko Pop! figures. I'm not a fan of the glassy pupil-only eyes, their giant noggins, and their mostly statue-like function. They are an affront to my sensibilities.

Their success seems to be attributable (in part) to a slavish adherence to their preferred mode of proportion-warping, along with an aggressive license-everything approach.

To me, Mini-Mates are comparable in servicing the cuteness market (albeit different corners), but they are much more functional and fun. I don't understand why MM couldn't enjoy the same success because they're a much better value - two for less than the cost of one Pop!, and with a buttload of accessories.

Questions for Zach:

Are they marketed differently? Are there restrictions to marketing that MMs face that Pop! figs don't? Is Funko dropping more coin on marketing? Is it cheaper to license for big-noggin vinyl figures than it is to license for block figs? Why can't MM take over the world in the way Funko has? Am I really just comparing apples to oranges and I should just shut the f up already?

Have you thought about giving a bunch of product to that 7-yr old kid on YouTube who made millions of dollars last year reviewing toys? The world needs to know how awesome MiniMates are.

Edited by elhonez

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 1:23 PM, elhonez said:

Are they marketed differently? Are there restrictions to marketing that MMs face that Pop! figs don't? Is Funko dropping more coin on marketing? Is it cheaper to license for big-noggin vinyl figures than it is to license for block figs? Why can't MM take over the world in the way Funko has? Am I really just comparing apples to oranges and I should just shut the f up already?

I don't know how they gained such momentum, but they are not articulated, which gets them around most action figure licensing deals where Minimates can not. (We cannot make articulated DC figures, for instance.) Vinyl figures are often their own category; when a straight license is not available, Funko gives them bases (Star Wars) or makes bobbleheads (Marvel) -- both likely due to the same master toy licensee having those rights. Bobbleheads are how they established most of their corporate relationships, I suspect; they must have a great licensing guy. 

I don't know how much they spend on marketing anymore, since Pops are insanely popular and sold everywhere, but they do have a crazy big and busy booth at Toy Fair, plus booths at various shows where they sell crazy exclusives that likely pay for part of the booth. 

Vinimates are a better comparison, having the same size, price point, articulation and (arguably) degree of stylization, but they have not caught on like Pops. 

Have you thought about giving a bunch of product to that 7-yr old kid on YouTube who made millions of dollars last year reviewing toys? The world needs to know how awesome MiniMates are.

He likely charges a lot for the honor, but we send stuff to lots of people. 

Edited by DSTZach

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

He likely charges a lot for the honor, but we send stuff to lots of people. 

Yeah, influencers can make anywhere from 10-20K easy per post and they don't even have the network that that kid has.  I have noticed that DST is working with some like the Unboxers but it is a challenging field and at the end of the day it just costs money.  It's not as simple as post something and it will go "viral". A lot of "viral" moments cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands to create. This is why a lot of people with limited marketing budget just go after fewer partnerships and getting into deeper ones. I would imagine that DST probably uses a bit on SEO and if I were them I would buy around keywords that are Lego related as they are often compared. Either way the best thing for all minimate enthusiasts is to share their love for the brand as much as possible and everywhere possible especially with the younger kids as they can make or break a toy line.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

Vinimates are a better comparison, having the same size, price point, articulation and (arguably) degree of stylization, but they have not caught on like Pops. 

This really hurts my heart as I can't stand POPs. I do like Vinimates I just don't have space for them so I just admire from afar.  You almost got me with the Batgirl/Nightwing two pack but sadly a NYC apartment doesn't leave space for everything one wants.

14 hours ago, Smashmaster12 said:

I have always wondered how "influencers" even go about getting contacts in the industry. It can't really be as simple as "I want to talk about your product, please." I do know there is a market for the young, since I'm like 80% sure that the main demographic of my channel is under 18.

There is a whole industry built around influencers and influencer relations.  From managers to lawyers to agents it's pretty booming. Normally most brands go through an agency to book influencers (usually it is for legal reasons as it offers brands more protection) but there typically is a vetting process that depending on the industry and the savvy of the team will be pretty complete. Especially with the FCC cracking down on influencers it's pretty much the same as any other talent agreement.  Some brands though will give a "surprise and delight" moment to loyal fans of brands but it is at their discretion.

We send to a lot of unboxers who are not (usually) paid personalities. Shartimus Prime, Movie Graveyard, Infinite Earths, AF Junkies, Zack Ryder, GWW, comicbook.com, ToyHypeUSA, sciencefiction.com,  GB News, Batman Notes, Batman News, Batman Statues, Ultrazilla, Heisenberg... 

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is where this question should go, but...

I just bought an Executioner/Enchantress pack.  When I started to move the Executioner, his right leg snapped off at the peg.  Anything I can do to get a replacement figure?  I remember reading something at some point in a thread (but can't remember which one or when).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

Heads would still be more accurate than hands...

I would like to know the number of unique trays we are getting.

Would those trays contain 2 or 4 minimates, or some other number?

Does a secondary tray for accessories count as a unique tray?

:)

16 hours ago, DSTZach said:

How many heads can be misleading. What if somebody comes with more than one?

I'm willing to accept the possible margin of error.

Or, how about this? I would like to know, assuming Ivan's database is up to date with minimate releases and he stays on top of it for the rest of the year, how many new character entries will he have to make to the database to remain current at the end of the year (assuming one entry per released minimate)?