Ask Zach

Heinous

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rarely know until I get there and start unpacking the boxes! We showed a LOT of upcoming MInimates at SDCC, so I don't know what's left. MAYBE Kingdom Hearts? Maybe some of the Marvel and Predator TRU stuff that was in the presentation (although TRU 24 may hit soon)? Not sure about new Aliens, but I could probably show them in the panel on Friday night. (8-9PM, ROom 1A05)

Non-Minimates, I hope we'll show Pacific Rim action figures, but I"m not sure what the Minimates plan is at this point. Justice League movie PVCs, I think.

On 04/09/2017 at 3:01 PM, DSTZach said:

So the only lines you have ever collected have been TMNT and MVC? Since Buffy Mates have never been even a remote possibility? Or were there other lines that ended/you gave up?

No interest in Kingdom Hearts? X-Files?

Just based on your interests, I'm willing to bet we introduce something for 2018 that gets your attention, but I guess we'll see. 

My main pull into Minimates was the MvC3 line, but I've bought The X-Files ones, Big Bang Theory, Peter Pan, Thundercats,  Spongebob, some Ghostbusters, the majority of the TMNT line and the odd other one. TMNT was ended just as it was about to get really good, Spongebob continuation seems like a no hoper, Pan was unfinished (those dang missing lost boys), and the X-Files release was so long ago I figured that the second set was probably nixed too (I kinda have a feeling we'd get more versions of Mulder and Scully too, rather than the Gunmen or Doggett).

I suppose I was hoping to be able to boost my MvC collection, as they are by far my favorites and they make up the bulk of my collection. I was annoyed at the time we didn't get the Ultimate cast (Frank West, Strider, Rocket Raccoon etc), and I figured Infinite was our chance to get them. I guess not :(.

I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan (at least not yet as I've never played it) and I've got just about everything from Marvel I'd want, short of a set specifically aimed at the 90s animated X-Men/Spiderman shows.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mattallica said:

does anyone still man the customerservice@diamondselecttoys.com email for defective parts requests?

Yes, has no one gotten back to you on something? Haven't seen your name in a while. Obviously not on weekends, but if someone hasn't gotten back to you, e-mail them again and cc me, in case it's not going through.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have a question: what is the reason that the Marvel 2-packs have different depths of the plastic covers? The movie ones all seem to go all the way down to the base of the holding tray, whereas the comic sets only go about a half inch. But not always. So, why the difference? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Heinous said:

Hey Zach, have you guys ever considered Disney store exclusive minimates? That seems like it'd be a good outlet for them, they have a great online store and always seem to stock their exclusives well

I know this is for Zach, but dear GOD NO. Please no. I am positive that there isn't even a Disney store in my state anymore. There are plenty of TRU's, and we all know how much of a hassle finding those exclusives are...

We also had the Future Foundation box set, and the Peter Pan sets. FF was an SDCC in-town launch, so it was their "Con exclusive," which went wide. Peter Pan was for a DVD release. 

I don't know that we never pitch them, but they have not taken them very often. It might have to do with international testing  We test Selects for everywhere, but Minimates only for the countries we ship them to, which is not everywhere. Our Minimates license is not global, mainly due to a lack of orders in many regions, so we do not pay for some regional testing, as it is cost-prohibitive for such an inexpensive product. That may affect Disney interest, as they tend to buy for multiple regions.

And their web store is great. If we did offer a box set, I'm sure you could order it there.

3 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

How has working in the industry changed your perspective on comics and toy collecting?

I understand business decisions, seeing tooling re-use as a necessity and not a shortcut. I understand the challenge of finding a retailer to carry a product, as it is usually the retailer's choice, not the company's. When I was at ToyFare, I justified a lot of my purchases as professional interest, and used them for work when I needed to. At DST, I look at what other people are doing, but I buy very little, I am 100% DST now.

Comics, I still love reading anything I can get my hands on. I read Previews in high school, because I had to mail-order all my books. But at Wizard I was no longer constrained by budget, and started reading more Image and DC, which I might not have read before.

I've probably been more affected by parenthood, which has constrained my comic and toy spending, and the rise of pop culture to the mainstream, which has made comics more accessible through the library system.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 11:22 AM, Roccothegreat said:

Zach. Are you or chuck a fan of stranger things and do you think it’s something Diamond is interested in? 

I am in the middle of season 2, and really like it; not sure about Chuck. I don't think it's something he's interested in, though, as he has been surprised by other companies going after the license. The show is about environments and evil forces as much as it is about people and the odd monster. I think they'd be great Minimates, but not sure how well they'd do. I don't know what viewership is, in spite of all the promotion, and it's a lot of civilians.PLus, what other products would we do?Tumblers? PVC Dioramas? Banks?

22 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I'm not sure if this is the right type of question, but if DST got the license for Star Wars minimates, how do you think you'd do Battle Droids?

I cannot even begin to answer this question. I wouldn't want us to do Battle Droids ever, I hate them. The look of them, their sub-Stormtrooper incompetence, their worthlessness in the face of Super Battle Droids and Droideka...

15 minutes ago, Gmonkey2k said:

Sorry to butt in, but I feel obligated to say that Steve is 100% Best Boy. Billy isn't even close.

Spoiler

This is objectively the right answer, but I wanna see whether Zach is /ourguy/... or not...

ZSR4wwx.png

Billy's still pretty High Test though.

Edited by Kostisfire