UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ask Zach

Heinous

On 10/26/2016 at 10:08 AM, hellpop said:

A fine choice!  I'm assuming that you've read the F&GM comic that Mignola did, right?

For the record, my comic would be: Green Lantern, by Neil Gaiman and Alan Davis.

I still want Gaiman to do an Earth One book but my vote is to give him Aquaman. Gaiman does mysticism and mythology very very well. I'll admit if he's done Space Opera style sci-fi I haven't read it, but something mythologically based seems more his style and Wonder Woman's been done so... Aquaman.

Zach, do you read any comics monthly? And if ya do, what are they?

Also what board games would you recommend for a tabletop night?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2016-11-05 at 6:01 PM, DSTZach said:

I am not aware of any plans to bring Marvel to Hot Topic. Maybe they have that brand covered already with other products. Not sure what the future holds, but the Marvel line is getting pretty good exposure elsewhere.

Well that's a shame. I know Canada is a much more limited market, but we don't even have minimates at our Toys R Us's...obviously no walmarts here.  We just had Hot Topics open up in the last year or two and I've seen the minimates there.  Anyways thanks for the reply! I just wish these things were everywhere like those funko pops

38 minutes ago, Grayson said:

Well that's a shame. I know Canada is a much more limited market, but we don't even have minimates at our Toys R Us's...obviously no walmarts here.  We just had Hot Topics open up in the last year or two and I've seen the minimates there.  Anyways thanks for the reply! I just wish these things were everywhere like those funko pops

As another Canadian, I echo this sentiment completely.

20 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

Zach, do you read any comics monthly? And if ya do, what are they?

Also what board games would you recommend for a tabletop night?

I don't really read monthly comics, but I regularly keep up with most Marvel in collections or on Marvel Unlimited. Image, I like Saga and I read TWD when I can. Not a DC guy, but I like the new Batgirl and I want to read the new Gerard Way stuff. 

Board games, find Rivers, Roads and Rails, an old Ravensburger game. It's pretty awesome, like Uno or Dominos, where you draw cards to build on three different transportation systems.

3 hours ago, Grayson said:

I guess I forgot there are no Walgreens in Canada. Nor sure what the deal is with TRU, but tell them what you want to see there. I'm pretty sure we have the right to sell them there, as we distribute to comic shops in Canada. And Ask DST about Hot Topic. artasylum.com

done and ya! lol...no Walgreens...also...no liquor at supermarkets.  Beer, wine, and spirits have their own dedicated stores.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Any plans for more vehicles, Zach? Do you know when you'll have pics of the drop ship? Is there any chance to your knowledge of a Buffy License? 

These all seem like good Chuck questions. I am not aware of more vehicles, I do not know timeline of dropship, and I do not know if we are looking at Buffy.

7 hours ago, hellpop said:

How was your Thanksgiving?

Good! Small gathering at in-laws, very low-key.

5 hours ago, Donny B said:

In all your adventures photographing Minimate around NYC, have you found a location that you enjoy shooting in the most?  Do you have any funny stories of interacting with passersby while you're shooting?

Our office is on 23rd St., and it offers a variety of opportunities. The buildings are big enough and road wide enough that you can get a good city feel from a low angle. In one direction you've got Chelsea, with lots of businesses, some graffiti, and some brownstones nearby, and in the other you've got nicer buildings, including the Flatiron Building, which has big open areas adjacent to shoot in, and Washington Square Park, with a clear view of the Empire State Building.

HBTeamUpCapHulk1a.jpg

HBTeamUpCap2.jpg

SecretWarsMinimates2a.jpg

dunmaskedsm3.jpg

Whenever I have a reason, it's great to be able to get on a subway and go shoot at the Ghostbusters firehouse, but lately it's been under renovations.

gb2.jpg

And I can get some great shots in Times Square, but I am probably the least comfortable shooting there, just due to the number of people. Even though most of them are taking pictures themselves. Waiting for people to clear the shot can be tough.

ASMTD6.jpg

Oh, and I don't really have any funny stories. I've had people ask me if I made the toy, someone took my picture once, and once a couple of tourists asked me if I was a specific toy photographer, I forget who. I'm honestly surprised I've never seen another toy photog in NYC, or had someone ask me about the toy line. I keep expecting someone on the Fwoosh to snap a picture of me with some unrevealed Marvel Select.

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Hey Zach, why were those Police APCs scrapped?

You can Ask DST, but I think TRU opted to just take KITT, and not the other vehicles in Series 3, the Police APC and the Navy ship. Producing the Arctic APC just for specialty was not possible, the quantity was just too low for that much tooling. So Series 3 at specialty was reduced to KARR and the already-tooled black  pirate ship.

21 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Danggg it'd be really cool to get those released somehow! Seeing as how they're already molded and stuff, yeah? Thanks for the answer! I'm hoping the apc sales for alien will bolster people's confidence in more vehicles!

They AREN'T molded/tooled. They were SCULPTED, but creating a steel tool for the actual production is one of the biggest costs associated with the manufacturing process, and a vehicle can fill a couple of tools. If you aren't going to sell tens of thousands of vehicles (and compared to TRU, specialty sales of Minimates vehicles are relatively small), then we would opt not to go ahead with the tooling. It's why, after solicitation, there is usually a 5-6 month gap, where we gather orders and begin the tooling phase -- if a TRU order is locked, we may start tooling early, but we need the specialty orders to know how many to make. Without TRU support, low specialty orders are why most cancelled items are cancelled.

TRU was on board for the Aliens APC, and I believe they are on board for the next vehicle, as well.

Edited by DSTZach

6 hours ago, hellpop said:

Did you read the Vision, Zach?

The recent comic series? Is it done? I want to, I just haven't gotten around to it. I don;t buy new stuff, but I have a Marvel Unlimited account, and I also get stacks of books from my library system -- usually I opt for tactile reading. Just got in a batch of Grant Morrison: New 52 Supes, Forevernauts, Doom Patrol, etc.