UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is anyone else cheesed that we're getting Watchmen Vinimates

Dio

And not Minimates? Like I've seen the Scully Vinimate at my LGS, and I really don't like them. They're vinyl, bigger than Minimates, have no articulation, and did I forget to mention that they're vinyl? I really, really hope there isn't a licensing restriction that would prevent Watchmen from becoming Minimates.

Who said we were not getting Watchmen Minimates? Weird to start a thread about how we AREN'T getting something when we only announced the other thing a couple of days ago.

And we say "vinyl" because they're in a vinyl figure format/scale, stylized with limited poseability, but Vinimates and Minimates are both PVC plastic, which is a form of vinyl. Vinimates might actually be a harder PVC than Minimates -- not sure if you've actually handled one.. 

57 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Who said we were not getting Watchmen Minimates? Weird to start a thread about how we AREN'T getting something when we only announced the other thing a couple of days ago.

And we say "vinyl" because they're in a vinyl figure format/scale, stylized with limited poseability, but Vinimates and Minimates are both PVC plastic, which is a form of vinyl. Vinimates might actually be a harder PVC than Minimates -- not sure if you've actually handled one.. 

Someone on the MMMV facebook group told me that some characters could only be made as Vinimates because of licensing restrictions. So I thought that after seeing Watchmen Vinimates it meant that we wouldn't be getting Minimates of them.

2 hours ago, Dio said:

Someone on the MMMV facebook group told me that some characters could only be made as Vinimates because of licensing restrictions. So I thought that after seeing Watchmen Vinimates it meant that we wouldn't be getting Minimates of them.

Was this a DST representative? What characters were they talking about? It may have been a hypothesis that they had not tested or proven.

27 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Was this a DST representative? What characters were they talking about? It may have been a hypothesis that they had not tested or proven.

So are you saying Watchmen Minister are happening? You can PM me the answer if you dont want to announce it publicly ?

14 hours ago, DSTZach said:

No it wasn't, and I don't remember what characters they were since this was a few months ago. But I would be happy to be proven wrong. ;)

On October 11, 2016 at 4:44 AM, DSTZach said:

Watchmen Minimates confirmed?

I believe nothing until I hear it from Zach.  Imagine how I felt when he filled me in on Santa Claus...

I would say the same thing about Chuck, but he likes to tease me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll probably buy the Rorschach vini...but the best one would be mates.  Medicom Kubrick did come out with a VERY VERY NICE SET though and they're really cheap on ebay.  Bought those and I'm actually keeping them in box.  I actually bought from the Monopolist of minimates on ebay...minimates menageries. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kubrick-Watchmen-DC-Box-Sets-A-B-/190421537116?hash=item2c5602115c:g:rLcAAOSwcu5UTGaj

• 1 month later...

With Watchmen being a DC film from WB by Zach Snyder does that mean that DST could also be able to make figures from the DCEU? Man of Steel ,BVS, Suicide squad, justice league, etc. Id really like to see cinematic DC minimates, so if DST can do Watchmen, would they theoretically be able to make DCEU mates ?

They're totally seperate licenses, but dunno. We got Gotham mates, now we're probably getting Watchmen mates. And from past AskDSTs and AskDCs (back in, dunno, 2013 or so, you could ask them questions), it was sorta implied that it wasn't so much that they weren't interested in DC minimates, it's just that this particular license was held up by another company (probably Mezco's Mez-Itz). Dunno, it isn't as unlikely as it was a few years back. I wouldn't hold my breath or anything, but... 

On 12/16/2016 at 1:37 PM, Kostisfire said:

They're totally seperate licenses, but dunno. We got Gotham mates, now we're probably getting Watchmen mates. And from past AskDSTs and AskDCs (back in, dunno, 2013 or so, you could ask them questions), it was sorta implied that it wasn't so much that they weren't interested in DC minimates, it's just that this particular license was held up by another company (probably Mezco's Mez-Itz). Dunno, it isn't as unlikely as it was a few years back. I wouldn't hold my breath or anything, but... 

I thought the issue was with DC Direct wanting to do different toys with their license, and they kept refusing to let DST do DC Minimates. I've seen so many different DC vinyls and other mini figures that I'm wondering when they're going to realize they need to come back to Minimates.

4 hours ago, Dio said:

I thought the issue was with DC Direct wanting to do different toys with their license, and they kept refusing to let DST do DC Minimates. I've seen so many different DC vinyls and other mini figures that I'm wondering when they're going to realize they need to come back to Minimates.

Like I said, in around 2014 or so, through those AskDC things that DC Direct did, and from various cons, it was kinda implied that the license is held up somewhere else, most likely Mezco with the Mez-Itz. So even if DC wanted to make them, there's still that hurdle. Obviously that has not been confirmed, but all the old DC Direct folks went out the door when the New52 came around, so there's been at least a change in management. We'll see, I guess...

• 3 weeks later...

man this movie is so good...lol...I still think they made a good decision to change the ending from the comic book.  COMIC SPOILER AHEAD

Weird genetically engineered alien that telepathically kills everyone would have played very poorly compared to bombs.  I think at the time Regan said something about fighting aliens uniting people, but the cold war threat of bombs in the 80s made for a much better choice on film.

It wasn't bombs - it was Dr. Manhattan (or energy surges that matched his abilities, pegging the destruction on him). And more major cities than just New York were attacked. It made way more sense, as he was a proven threat that was built up to the public through the story (which was comic faithful), and actually gave him a reason to leave at the end (whereas in the comic, he just changes his mind...after Laurie already changed his mind to come help). The movie ending just makes more logical sense.

I fricking LOVE the movie, and all the changes it made from the source material.

I also like the flick. I dislike Snyder, but both 300 & Watchmen were good. BvS wasn't so bad either. Sign me up for any Watchmen mates. With the recent REBIRTH stuff, it seems to me DC is actively trying to promote the property. The fact that DST is part of the companies making products is a good sign IMO.