UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Exploding Detolf Shelf

Shanester

For those of you with Detolf cabinets, I just had a crazy experience.  I was sitting at my desk on the computer and a loud pop and cascading glass, scared the bejezuz out of me.  One of my glass shelves exploded.  No obvious reason why and the weight on the shelf was not much.  It had a Kotobukiya vinyl 1/6th scale Batman on it.

Just a warning that this happens...955a87ab-aeef-44ba-9dbd-7dbd0a9623d2_zps

This particular cabinet is only a couple of years old, but I have some that are 10+ years old.  The research I have done into this points to an imperfection in the glass when tempered.  It happens, but is not exactly common.  The scary thing is it can happen after two months or 20 years.  No warning.

I was EXTREMELY lucky. This particular shelf housed a vinyl Kotobukiya Batman 1/6th scale statue that weighs little.  It came down on my Hot Toys Christopher Reeve Superman and glass rained down on my SSC 1/6th Star Wars Droids.  I have some damage to the Superman suit, but nothing else.  My shop vac cleaned things up nicely.  Any other shelf in my cabinets and it would have been disastrous.  I am looking into replacing my shelves or at least adding to them, with 1/4 or 3/8 acrylic.

I sent an email to Ikea.  I may try the Twiiter thing. I shudder to imagine one of these shelves exploding...

20140918_191530_zpswcfpctb8.jpg

5 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

"HULK SMASH" leaps to mind.

Good Lord, I hope that doesn't happen to you again.

Yep.  Thanks, I am hoping that lightning struck once and now I am statistically immune to another, but I am still going to add acrylic sheets.

23 hours ago, Shanester said:

For those of you with Detolf cabinets, I just had a crazy experience.  I was sitting at my desk on the computer and a loud pop and cascading glass, scared the bejezuz out of me.  One of my glass shelves exploded.  No obvious reason why and the weight on the shelf was not much.  It had a Kotobukiya vinyl 1/6th scale Batman on it.

Just a warning that this happens...955a87ab-aeef-44ba-9dbd-7dbd0a9623d2_zps

So ....would you describe that picture as a shelfie?

Seriously that is horrific & when you consider how much glass we have in our lives & how bloody dangerous it can be it makes the mind boggle.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to clarify, it has only been the shelves to shatter out of nowhere, right?

A friend gave me a detolf with machine cut acrylic shelves, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear there. 

Also, it was missing a lot of hardware, which Ikea is sending me for free(!), except the rubber(?) pieces that go on the corners of the back & sides. I can't find any on eBay (the instructions don't list names or item numbers for those pieces, so I don't even really know what to look for). Anyone know where I can get them, or a suitable alternative from a hardware store?

zIn9D1E.png

Edited by TENIME_art