UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 68: Giant Size X-Men

CortherX

15 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

Wait...how are the faces peeling?  Is this just on the alternate heads that have the the tape over them to keep them where they are in the package?

Yeah, Luke showed some pics of the faces on the alternate heads coming off on the tape when he was opening some to ship loose. Scroll back through the thread or check out his Instagram or Facebook feeds.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/8/2016 at 3:29 AM, thereasonsy said:

Yeah, I have the figures but I can definitely see the issues with this for newer fans. It would be great to get either a best of X-Men wave with some tweaks to not to destroy the originals value. For example:

Maybe I'm being naive here, but after market prices seem to work somewhat differently with minimates. As far as I can tell the older series tend to be among the cheapest on the secondary market, I credit this with a somewhat constant improvement in the figures. So I imagine a updated classic Gambit or Psylocke would greatly reduce the value of the originals regardless of slight tweaks or accessory changes. Having said that though I don't imagine this would be of concern to most as this is a  constant occurrence in this line and I haven't heard of a great deal of market speculation in minimates. But of course this is all personal observation and supposition.      

12 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

But...everyone has FB.  Even my 80 year grandmother has a FB page.  She's not in the Minimates Mobb yet though.  Baby steps.

I wish I didn't have one but it's my job now soooo that'd be awkward.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the old days of 'Mates, I quit collecting because it seemed every pack I bought had something wrong with it.  Bad tempos, broken parts, missing pieces, frozen joints, etc.  I have been pretty selective with my recent purchases and haven't encountered any issues.  Is QC slipping again???

i've been pretty lucky and have had very few issues... had a hard time getting a few of the slip cover masks off when they're packed on the mate, and way back when one of Feral's legs broke off pretty easy, ball joint and all. and a Brood leg. but those are honestly the only issues i've had in the 10 years i've been collecting.

I haven't had any major QC issues with newer mates, but there seem to be less of the minor ones lately. Waves 59, 60, and 62 all had stuck and messy paint on some figures. More recent waves have been better, with the only problems I can think of being paint alignment on my 66 Cap and 68 Wolverine, not enough yellow on my 68 Cyclops and X-23 Wolverine, a stray bit of white on Space Venom's shoulder, and some paint rub on the elbows of some of my 69 minimates, oddly only on one elbow per pack.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The biggest recurring quality control problem I saw was on "Bulked up" figures (your Hulks and Juggernauts and Hulks and Venoms and Hulks)... oftentimes the upper-leg/thigh covering pieces were wrong. You'd get 2 lefts, or 2 rights. The difference is small and easy to miss, but there ARE distinct covers for the left and right leg, and apparently whoever assembled them at the factory often didn't take notice. But this has gotten better in recent years.

This also occasionally extends to Bulked up hands (Often they're identical so it's a non-issue, but sometimes they're different, and I've gotten 2 rights or 2 lefts)

Come to think of it I've gotten more than my share of left/right arm swaps on minimates to.

So to put a blanket on it, I guess my biggest QC problem through the years is the factory not knowing their right from their left.

THAT said... we're talking like... 1 in every 50 to 100 minimates (if not less) so I never considered it a deal breaker. The bulked up leg one was frustrating though. That one seemed to happen to EVERY bulked up figure I bought, for a year or two. And the worst part was, even contacting Diamond for replacement parts, I sometimes got the wrong part, because the difference is so subtle, Diamond's customer service rep couldn't note it either. (But they're different, I swear)