UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 68: Giant Size X-Men

CortherX

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/23/2016 at 5:10 AM, MINI_MYTE said:

Here is a replication of Giant-Size X-Men #1 I did for #ACBA. No photoshopping on this one folks. All practical effects. Enjoy!

Acba_cover.jpg

WINNING!  Great job, Myte.  Can't believe we still don't have that Marvel Girl as an official Minimate!  Get working on that, DST!!

Whelp, these are lovely.  My thoughts, in order from best to worst:

-Sunfire: Wow!!!  What a figure. His mask is one of the best pieces I've ever seen, and his tampos (which are very difficult) are amazing.  Kudos to the design team and prototype painter!  He's a definite contender for Minimate of the Year.

-Storm: Never really cared much for the character, but they really knocked it out of the park.  Love the extra flowy cape.

-Cyclops: Great, great tampos.  Really does suffer from not having the optic blast mask.  Oh well.

-Thunderbird: Pleasantly surprised at all the new pieces he has (hairpiece, arm bands, and boots).  Waist riser is a nice touch.  Once again, the complex tampos are flawless.

-Wolverine: Nice, simple version of an old classic. 

-Nightcrawler: Pleasantly surprised that his hands, shoulder pads, and hairpiece all appear to be new (not sure about the feet or tail).  Sword is a nice touch, though it doesn't appear to fit into his hands quite as well as I'd like. I much prefer the alt head to the angry one.

-Colossus: Probably the best Colossus we've gotten, though I still don't feel we've ever gotten a perfect one.  Can't say what, but something always seems lacking.  But he's a nice figure, don't get me wrong.

-Banshee: The base figure is very nice, but all the extra stuff don't really work all that well.  The wings only look good in one position.  The cape and collar take up too much room for the head to fit properly, and of course it's worse once you try to use the sonic scream.  Frankly, the cape has never completely satisfied me, as it doesn't really look like Banshee's wing things, which run all the way to his ankles. He's a good figure, but definitely the weakest of an outstanding wave.

And this opinion will surprise no one, but it has to be said: these kind of costumes, with simple, unique designs and vibrant colors, look so much better than most of the modern costumes.  Just a stellar wave. I hope, at some point, we get a "graduation costumes" X-Men wave, including a pointy mask Marvel Girl.

8 minutes ago, hellpop said:

And this opinion will surprise no one, but it has to be said: these kind of costumes, with simple, unique designs and vibrant colors, look so much better than most of the modern costumes.  Just a stellar wave. I hope, at some point, we get a "graduation costumes" X-Men wave, including a pointy mask Marvel Girl.

ww9V2jh.gif

31477.jpg

They are not the best costumes in the world,admittedly.  Angel's in particular is pretty fugly, and I would not be upset at all if they skipped his first costume for one of the later ones.  But anyway, a wave of

Cyclops/Marvel Girl

Beast/Angel

Iceman/Professor X

Havok/Polaris

would be the bee's knees.

46 minutes ago, hellpop said:

31477.jpg

They are not the best costumes in the world,admittedly.  Angel's in particular is pretty fugly, and I would not be upset at all if they skipped his first costume for one of the later ones.  But anyway, a wave of

Cyclops/Marvel Girl

Beast/Angel

Iceman/Professor X

Havok/Polaris

would be the bee's knees.

The only problem with a wave like that would be that this Cyclops would be more or less identical to the wave 68 version. My ideal "Graduation" X-Men wave would also have other early X-Men, like Mimic and Changeling.

Marvel Girl/Mimic

Beast/Changeling as Professor X (I think this could work with a few alternate parts if Xavier came in a blue suit)

Iceman/Polaris

Angel/Havok

Granted, the Marvel Girl/Mimic pairing might be a bit too obscure, and I'm not sure how likely DST would be to make an O5 set without Cyclops, in which case your line would be great, especially if that Cyclops came with an optic blast mask.

I feel the same way about Iceman that a lot of you feel about Colossus. I just don't think DST has quite nailed it yet despite several tries. My ideal Iceman would be the one from the early 300's of Uncanny. The second 90's ToyBiz Iceman figure from the Invasion Series? That's exactly what I want just scaled down to a Minimate. You can even get two figures out of it by removing the giant hands and spikes to get a Jim Lee style Iceman.

9 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

I feel the same way about Iceman that a lot of you feel about Colossus. I just don't think DST has quite nailed it yet despite several tries. My ideal Iceman would be the one from the early 300's of Uncanny. The second 90's ToyBiz Iceman figure from the Invasion Series? That's exactly what I want just scaled down to a Minimate. You can even get two figures out of it by removing the giant hands and spikes to get a Jim Lee style Iceman.

I feel the same way about Iceman, and the one you're proposing sounds great. I think something like that would fit well in a post-AoA 90's X-Men wave, from the vintage of Onslaught and Operation Zero Tolerance.

7 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

The only problem with a wave like that would be that this Cyclops would be more or less identical to the wave 68 version. My ideal "Graduation" X-Men wave would also have other early X-Men, like Mimic and Changeling.

Marvel Girl/Mimic

Beast/Changeling as Professor X (I think this could work with a few alternate parts if Xavier came in a blue suit)

Iceman/Polaris

Angel/Havok

Granted, the Marvel Girl/Mimic pairing might be a bit too obscure, and I'm not sure how likely DST would be to make an O5 set without Cyclops, in which case your line would be great, especially if that Cyclops came with an optic blast mask.

What a great wave that would be! I'm dying to get Marvel Girl in that green uniform. I'd even get another Cyclops if they were packed together!

On 9/25/2016 at 2:41 AM, CortherX said:

i would completely pass on a graduation wave.

Agreed. The only people missing from that era are 60's Jean, Mimic, Changeling, Erik the Red,60's Beast and 60's Angel. Beast and Angel have had better looks and I personally would prefer a John Byrne/ George Perez Beast redo and an Archangel red costume Angel with Backstreet Boys hair from the early 00's than those two costumes. I'd think we could get away with a 60's Jean in a Shiar wave since she wore that costume during the Dark Phoenix Saga. Also, Erik the red was a Shiar operative (maybe with an alternate Scott head). Then maybe a Shiar Warrior, Polaris, Gladiator, Lilandra/Deathbird.

Beast:

87a27f30680eb27e515bb7e89fa934f8.jpg

Marvel Girl

2011-05-25_214739_8392981_1.jpg

Erik the Red:

shakaridavan3.JPG

Polaris:

2006-12-16_114644_Polaris_2.jpg