UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Where did MAX go?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to let Art Asylum off the leash on a sci-fi/action-themed assortment of 'mates and vehicles. Basically do what George Lucas did when he couldn't get rights to Flash Gordon; make up your own space opera with aliens, robots, heroes, villains, and everything in between. I think the designers would have a blast. (I know I would!)

I never know how to correctly do that chat thing on "ask DST" or else there's several things I would ask about this. 

Are they just too busy with their other properties to make MAX? I would think they could do it in their spare-ish time. I would also think that there would be plenty of incentive since they wouldn't have to pay out for licensing so they would hopefully make more profit. 

It's probably safe to assume they're enjoying the successes of other licensed properties and putting all their efforts in that direction. But you're right, there's definitely an appeal to an in-house, licensing fee-free brand. Battle Beasts is such a brand and that seems to have had some limited success but I wouldn't mind seeing MAX return. That seemed like it could have been DST's answer to GI Joe.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I never know how to correctly do that chat thing on "ask DST" or else there's several things I would ask about this. 

Are they just too busy with their other properties to make MAX? I would think they could do it in their spare-ish time. I would also think that there would be plenty of incentive since they wouldn't have to pay out for licensing so they would hopefully make more profit. 

You can e-mail questions to Ask DST, either through the form at artasylum.com or through the CS address, but it's not just "We have no time for MAX." Although our plate is pretty full. To launch a proprietary line, assuming that there would be less interest from comic shops than with any licensed property, we need a mass retailer's support. If a mass retailer wants to help relaunch MAX with a guaranteed order, I'm sure we'd oblige.

On 8/4/2016 at 4:49 PM, MisterPL said:

So "Ask Toys R Us" or "Ask Walgreens" or "Ask [insert big box retailer here]"...

Let's start wrangling email addresses!

AND ask about DCU Minimates...

I liked the MAX figures. They were different and interesting. I think it would be cool to see some more lines like this. Random, original characters that might have a backstory with them. Kinda like Calico Jack did. They made those awesome mini movies, too with Calico Jack. Although I think "Pirate Raiders" wasn't and original story. And weren't there a few MAX movies also?

The backstory they wrote for Calico Jack was pretty extensive, but it was based on real pirates.

I wrote the scripts for the episodes we did, and they were based on the bible someone at DST wrote (actually not sure who!) and info about the real pirates, if I recall.

I loved the MAX stuff and still have way too much.  My son loves it too.  He has all the pirate ship and the planes.  He really gets imaginative with them.  Battle Beasts are cool, but the figures themselves are clunky and hard to pose, IMO.  Some of them like the birds, walrus and ram are great.  The scorpion and insect, not so much.  I plan to let him have spare TMNT space stuff so he can add space suits to his figure.

I feel like the white Hydra soldiers from AoU were close to the lost Arctic M.A.X. Mates. I would still love to get more of these though!

• 1 year later...