UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Need help with smoke stained minimates!

Webhead

Hi guys, I recently picked up a big lot of mates but unfortunately they came from a smoker and it wasn't disclosed.  The smell I figure I can get rid of with dryer sheets and time, but a few figures are yellowed badly.  Two clear icemen I have are very yellowed, now Tarman.  What I am mostly upset about is Beyonder and Photon are pretty yellowed.  Any ideas on possibly reversing this?  I'd post pics but have no idea how to upload attachments now with the new site, and image hosting sites are blocked at work.

Thanks in advance guys!

There's a method using baking soda that I've read works for whitening yellowed figures like vintage Storm Shadow. I'd have to do a little research to find the exact method but its something for you to research. Not sure it will work on smoke stains though as that's an outside chemical coating the plastic and not the plastic itself going yellow.

I had a couple Minimates I received early in my collecting that had a strong smoke odor. I soaked all the parts (after taking the figures completely apart) in water with Dawn dish soap for a few days and that seemed to kill the odor. That might work for smoke stains.

Honestly you're probably better off trying to get your money back and getting the figures from someone else. Unfortunately smoke is just one of those things that can ruin stuff for life no matter how hard you clean it up.

Yeah I was thinking of taking one of  my yellowed FCBD mates and using the hydrogen peroxide method.Though you are right those figs yellowing is different than smoke.  

I think I may just send them back for a refund...it's a big lot I just hate to send it back for a small percentage of yellowed figures...though they all smell.

Smoke smell comes out eventually, but it takes a while. I spent about $15 in Febreeze to mix with Dawn to soak a $100 Japanese import Godzilla figure in. It eventually worked but it was a huge disappointment. 

I also had a vintage Boba Fett that I soaked in Dawn. It pulled the paint right offa the figure!

You might wanna message the seller, let them know how disappointed you are and see if they'd give you a partial refund that you feel would be fair. 

Kitty litter works to get the smell out too.  Don't put the mates directly in the litter but put them both in a sealed container and have the litter separated in a dish or something.  I've even heard of people putting the litter in a few socks and tying up the ends of the socks, then sealing the figures and litter socks in a container.  You may have to change the litter a time or two but it works.

Thanks for all the tips guys.  I'm in contact with the seller and I should be getting some money back so will definitely try out some of these tricks.  Any tips on getting the sticky residue?  Just warm soapy water?