UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Netflix "Stranger Things"

If you're looking for something to watch during this summer hiatus I strongly recommend the Netflix series "Stranger Things". Its a great "Stand By Me" "X-Files" 80's horror movie mashup that kept us riveted and eagerly awaiting the next episode. My wife and I binged it on Friday and Saturday nights this past weekend (its only 8 episodes) and loved every minute of it.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

It truly is fantastic. I don't usually watch TV shows, on account of my time restraints, but this show was absolutely brilliant! The characters are understandable, they each have their own little place in the story and no one is left out. Not a bad actor either! Everyone puts on a good performance and the kids are especially entertaining. It's scary, heartfelt, emotional, dramatic, everything you could want in a show about supernatural events occurring in a small USA town in the 80's. Plus it's got Winona Ryder. She's still phenomenal. Definitely give it a check out if you haven't already.

Edited by NerdyTrev

Ha, I started this yesterday ................. and finished it approximately 8 hours later ...... wonderful show! I have only binged two things in my life, Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones, both only to catch up to the current seasons.

My wife asked me what i was doing, and I kept saying " I can't stop watching!" It really grabbed me from start to finish... I highly recommend this show!

It was one of those things I kept seeing people talking about and recommending and thought "oh its probably just a lot of hype with little substance". Well I was partially right. It is a lot of hype but in this instance it is truly deserved hype.

Oh and it explains the girl we saw carrying around boxes of Eggo's at SDCC this year. Wish I'd have gotten a picture of that now but at the time had no idea what it was.

It's real good.

I went into it only knowing it was supposed to have an '80s Spielberg/Stephen King vibe, so it was also great to see something without any preconceived notions for once. They just got everything right -- casting, camerawork, music, even the title screens are cool.

I have to agree I really enjoyed it. I knew nothing about it except what alot of ppl have been saying about the style an setting. AFfter 2 episodes I was hooked an watched the lot over 3 evenings. If you like ET, Goonies, original Poltergeist then you gotta give this a look see.

I've got two episode left.

If someone had told me, "Hey, they found this show that never aired from 1982, updated the VFX, and are putting it on Netflix," I'd have believed it (except for Winona Ryder looking so much older). As a guy who grew up in the early 80s, the music, the title treatment, the production design, the media, everything seems so authentic. The town is even eerily similar to the one I lived in, where everyone knows everyone.

And then there's the story. I was sucked right in. This is good television. I hope the ending doesn't disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it this weekend.  Yeah, it was pretty great.  Really nailed the style and tone of that time period without it seeming like a gimmick.  Loved the kids, loved the teens, loved the adults.  Call it Freaks and (Twin) Peaks or Fringe and Geeks, your choice.

We NEED Minimates from this show.  Everyone bombard Chuck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 3:14 PM, MisterPL said:

If someone had told me, "Hey, they found this show that never aired from 1982, updated the VFX, and are putting it on Netflix," I'd have believed it (except for Winona Ryder looking so much older). As a guy who grew up in the early 80s, the music, the title treatment, the production design, the media, everything seems so authentic. 

Even with knowing Winona Ryder & Matthew Modine, it still felt like it was made in the 80s. 

The kids/teenagers, especially. They didn't feel like present day actors playing 80s - they actually felt like they were from the 80s.

It was incredible how well they managed that.

My only complaint was the overuse of CG. There were parts where they didn't need it at all, and it ended up looking bad because of it.

On 9/15/2016 at 11:34 AM, MisterPL said:

There's always stop motion.

I think they could've gotten away with a guy in a suit with a separate animatronic head for the Demogorgon, set dressing for the web veins, and just used (the good) CG for the Upside Down "pollen". The Demogorgon looked fine, but the web veins, especially at the main portal entrance, looked terrible. I was sitting there, screaming at the TV - "WHY IS THAT CG!? THAT IS THE EASIEST PRACTICAL EFFECT TO DO!!" *sigh*