UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No boys allowed.


Swarm198
 Share

Recommended Posts

New mixed series Savage Land Rogue & ANXM X-23 Scream & White Rabbit Mantis & Crystal Abigail Brand & Death Bird Greatest Hits Wave Dark Phoenix & 90's Jubilee using the kid size body Black Cat and Arachni (Spider Woman 2) Valkyrie & Angela She-Hulk & Invisible Woman (Best of match)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016-07-29 at 11:24 PM, hellpop said:

no doubt these would be the worst-selling waves of all time....

 

8 hours ago, stack32 said:

I think the idea would be a sales disaster,

I understand that historically toy companies don't want female figures at TRU or whatever, because they think young boys won't buy them, but surely most of the LCS customer base is older comics fans? I see so many female character action figures/statues/merch at my LCS these days, and it all seems to sell just fine. I mean, did people see that Captain Marvel/Jane Thor 2-pack sitting on the shelf any longer than the rest of Wave 64? I don't know, I just don't buy the argument I guess, at least in this market, and with so many of these characters starring or co-starring in books right now.

And Hellpop, nothing can ever sell worse than Wave 15!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, battlecat said:

 

I understand that historically toy companies don't want female figures at TRU or whatever, because they think young boys won't buy them, but surely most of the LCS customer base is older comics fans? I see so many female character action figures/statues/merch at my LCS these days, and it all seems to sell just fine. I mean, did people see that Captain Marvel/Jane Thor 2-pack sitting on the shelf any longer than the rest of Wave 64? I don't know, I just don't buy the argument I guess, at least in this market, and with so many of these characters starring or co-starring in books right now.

And Hellpop, nothing can ever sell worse than Wave 15!

Marvel Legends has a base of older fans too and since they stopped short-packing female figures many of them (not all) have ended up peg-warming or discounted. The debate usually comes down to a company's behavior based on actual sales data versus people arguing that a company is wrong because they don't like the results. Whether they sell worse or not, you're still talking about a wave made up of less popular characters, most of them not highly demanded, and no Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Thor Odinson, Peter Parker, or Logan (because with Marvel's current approach I actually have to specify) to anchor the wave. It would be a big risk, and for what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, stack32 said:

Marvel Legends has a base of older fans too and since they stopped short-packing female figures many of them (not all) have ended up peg-warming or discounted.

Peg-warming at comic shops or big box stores? I'm just talking about the LCS market/fanbase, where I haven't really seen that at all in the stores I visit, with recent Legends or DCC figures or anything, but that's only a couple of stores and anecdotal of course.

7 hours ago, stack32 said:

Whether they sell worse or not, you're still talking about a wave made up of less popular characters, most of them not highly demanded, and no Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Thor Odinson, Peter Parker, or Logan (because with Marvel's current approach I actually have to specify) to anchor the wave. It would be a big risk, and for what?

My bad, I guess I did assume you were just talking about female figures selling worse, not character obscurity. That said, I think quite a few of the proposed characters in the thread are much less of a risk than the upcoming Wave 69 in that regard.

And for what? I don't know, why do any themed wave? It's just a fun gimmick. I doubt DST would go for it really, but I don't think this particular theme would be any more or less a disaster than anything else they've tried, YMMV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, battlecat said:

Peg-warming at comic shops or big box stores? I'm just talking about the LCS market/fanbase, where I haven't really seen that at all in the stores I visit, with recent Legends or DCC figures or anything, but that's only a couple of stores and anecdotal of course.

 

My LCS has leftover Mockingbirds, Agent 13s, Hellcats, and Captain Marvels, among others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, battlecat said:

Peg-warming at comic shops or big box stores? I'm just talking about the LCS market/fanbase, where I haven't really seen that at all in the stores I visit, with recent Legends or DCC figures or anything, but that's only a couple of stores and anecdotal of course.

I'm mostly thinking of big box and especially Amazon, since even the LCS fanbase is largely going to buy the figures at places other than local stores. Granted, it's an imperfect comparison to a minimate wave, but it does give some idea of how actual character preferences play out. Mostly I'm saying there's enough evidence to support the conventional wisdom without resorting to the idea that people making these decisions are idiots or misogynist (not saying you are, I've just seen exactly those accusations on this topic before).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, stack32 said:

I'm mostly thinking of big box and especially Amazon, since even the LCS fanbase is largely going to buy the figures at places other than local stores. Granted, it's an imperfect comparison to a minimate wave, but it does give some idea of how actual character preferences play out. Mostly I'm saying there's enough evidence to support the conventional wisdom without resorting to the idea that people making these decisions are idiots or misogynist (not saying you are, I've just seen exactly those accusations on this topic before).

Definitely wasn't trying to imply anything like that, it's the conventional wisdom because it's been measured in a market/customer base, I just think that then applying it to the narrower market/customer base at your average LCS is making an assumption. I just think they're different animals. Or maybe more comic shops reflect BuffaloDelorean's post than mine. I do think Wave 69 kind of blows up the needing an anchor to avoid sales disaster thing though (providing it doesn't end up being a sales disaster).

Also, I didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry Swarm198!

Edited by battlecat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I think when it comes to Minimates the whole "female characters don't sell well" thing doesn't apply. After buying these since Marvel series 1 and in different parts of the country at a variety of shops steadily, I don't see the female-to-male peg hanging ratio as all that skewed. It's always seemed more of a specific licenses hanging around more to me. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, one of the many reasons I do collect Minimates is because they don't seem to shy away from offering female characters. Which makes it so much fun to shut someone lamenting the lack of female characters down with, "Minimates! You should be buying Minimates."

 

Unless you like tigers and motorcycles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Mystery Man said:

 

I think when it comes to Minimates the whole "female characters don't sell well" thing doesn't apply. After buying these since Marvel series 1 and in different parts of the country at a variety of shops steadily, I don't see the female-to-male peg hanging ratio as all that skewed. It's always seemed more of a specific licenses hanging around more to me. 

 

Yes, but DST is a bit nifty about how they distribute female characters, it seems pretty rare for DST to do a female/famle pack in (unless some big names are involved ex. She-Hulk/Ms. Marvel, Thor/Cap. Marvel), it appears (at least to me) that a majority of female characters are packed with males, now I can't say if this is a scheme to better sales on female characters or just that there clearly aren't as many female characters in the Marvel universe as there are male.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2016 at 2:45 PM, OvenproofBug6 said:

Yes, but DST is a bit nifty about how they distribute female characters, it seems pretty rare for DST to do a female/famle pack in (unless some big names are involved ex. She-Hulk/Ms. Marvel, Thor/Cap. Marvel), it appears (at least to me) that a majority of female characters are packed with males, now I can't say if this is a scheme to better sales on female characters or just that there clearly aren't as many female characters in the Marvel universe as there are male.

Do you guys remember back in the day of the X-Men Toyline when they did a specialty order She-Force? That was an exclusive line that did well for about the first 2 lines and then fell apart. I think it had to do with Character selection (https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=399&ssid=3) toward the end. Look at the Alpha Flight Team, which I personally loved, which now is basically cannon fodder for customerizers. Also, not to be a nag but Luke's did that awesome Deadly Foes Set and that didn't sell out instantly either even with a great lineup. I think it is about three things: the demand for the character. the popularity of the character (which is different than demand), and lack of the character. For example: Ms. Marvel Kamala. People want her (at least on here), she is not A list but she isn't completely obscure, and she doesn't have a mate. Make sense?  With that all being said I'd love a Con Exclusive or a Luke Exclusive Hall of Fame type set boxset of 60's Jean, Medusa, Crystal, and Kamala.  If it had to go to a more broad audience I would actually do a Ms. Marvel thru the ages set and pick: She-Thing (points if they had her other costume underneath), Kamala, Carol as Binary in her Red costume (swap out head), and then Carol in her Ms. Marvel Costume but with the Binary powers. If I could cheat I'd get a Dr. Minerva in there sacrificing powered up Carol.

Edited by thereasonsy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...