UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Netflix Iron Fist

Zylek

8 hours ago, Kostisfire said:

-Creepy or not, it's cheap. It's like using, say Nightcralwer, but instead of having him teleport, he's just such a dark shade of blue "that he can hide in the shadows". It's cheap, and it undermines a huge plot point of the series it's based on. The relationship between the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven was at the forefront of the book, and was used to really expand the mythos. But now, one very important aspect of the IF lore is just... gone. And for what? A 20 minute "mini-tournament"?

-Nah, she was shoehorned. In all of New York, she stumbles into yet another street-level hero with ties to the hand? It's a common complaint everywhere I've been, really. Be it the MCU or Defenders subreddit, comicvine, CBR, etc, etc. She was added to apparently "ease in IF into the world of the Defenders", but she really undermines the already underwhelming Iron Fist. This supposed living weapon, who had been training for 15 years non-stop with magical/alien monks, gets his butt handed to him by nameless mooks, and needs the help of an ordinary nurse and mental pep-talks, to really get talking. Still, it's not so much a fault of Claire, as much as it's a fault of the screenwriters not selling me on Danny being this absolute beast and harbinger of destruction. He's Daredevil 1/2 with some chi powers once every blue moon.

-The "no killing" thing is irritating because this isn't Daredevil. Iron Fist was trained to be a Living Weapon, he's not just some crime-fighter who wants to clean up his city like Daredevil. All Iron Fists have killed, and will kill, it's what they do. Past IFs fought entire armies, because that's their duty. I've not reached that part yet, but from what I'm told it gets really "in your face", so I'll reserve judgement.

-Most CBMs pre the MCU were afraid to embrace their roots, and instead gave us shitty excuses and small "nods" to the source material. Not to mention the black leather they all loved. See "Keanu Reeves as John Constantine", "Leather Fetish Bullseye", "Lex Luthor Von Doom", "Cloud Lak Tus" and so on and so forth. The Doctor Fate thing was just an analogy, it never happened.

-With the Nightcrawler comparison, I do see what you mean with the 2000s CBM comment, since X-Men movies have been doing that sort of thing for years. Comic adaptions including characters they aren't fully willing to use, is, IMO, one of the biggest issues with the genre. However, I wouldn't say the MCU has been anywhere near free from this trope, as they owe several of their weaker villains to this flaw. Overall, using characters as complex as the Weapons in a series that didn't have time to deal with them was probably a mistake, but not one exclusive to Iron Fist, and I wouldn't say they've painted themselves into a corner with these characters in case they want to revisit the concept.

-Personally, I don't see why it's any stranger than her running into the last three, but that's just me. I do agree that petulant, juvenile, ineffective Danny was very irritating. Danny Rand was by far the worst thing about this series, and I don't mean Finn Jones. In spite of some good moments and performances, Danny's writing just didn't seem up to par.

-In most of the "no killing" instances, Danny was out of control, looking for information, or conflicted. The Iron Fist really should be more effective, but him killing more people wouldn't have solved that. There's one major "no killing" scene, and I thought it was fairly organic.

-Thanks for explaining the Doctor Fate thing, I was curious because I couldn't imagine what franchise he would have fit into. I liked Colin Farrell's Bullseye, but not, I imagine, for the right reasons.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

-With the Nightcrawler comparison, I do see what you mean with the 2000s CBM comment, since X-Men movies have been doing that sort of thing for years. Comic adaptions including characters they aren't fully willing to use, is, IMO, one of the biggest issues with the genre. However, I wouldn't say the MCU has been anywhere near free from this trope, as they owe several of their weaker villains to this flaw. Overall, using characters as complex as the Weapons in a series that didn't have time to deal with them was probably a mistake, but not one exclusive to Iron Fist, and I wouldn't say they've painted themselves into a corner with these characters in case they want to revisit the concept.

-Personally, I don't see why it's any stranger than her running into the last three, but that's just me. I do agree that petulant, juvenile, ineffective Danny was very irritating. Danny Rand was by far the worst thing about this series, and I don't mean Finn Jones. In spite of some good moments and performances, Danny's writing just didn't seem up to par.

-In most of the "no killing" instances, Danny was out of control, looking for information, or conflicted. The Iron Fist really should be more effective, but him killing more people wouldn't have solved that. There's one major "no killing" scene, and I thought it was fairly organic.

-Thanks for explaining the Doctor Fate thing, I was curious because I couldn't imagine what franchise he would have fit into. I liked Colin Farrell's Bullseye, but not, I imagine, for the right reasons.

-Oh no, the MCU has absolutely fallen into that trap before. See the Mandarin, or Ronan. But I just thought the days of being promised a series based on mysticism, and getting half-assed versions of key characters were behind us.

-Eh, dunno, this time it just seemed... far more contrived. But the fact that Rand wasn't the bad-ass he was hyping himself up to be, kinda irritated me.

-I've not reached that far, to be completely honest. But I've heard that it's very overbearing. And I usually don't get along with the "no kill code" in CBMs, so I imagine I'll find problems with IF as well.

-Yeah, that was just an analogy, sorry for not making it clear.

Edited by Kostisfire

Iron Fist has an endless list of problems but having your lead character be a whiny, entitled dipshit is really what poisoned the well.

I've got zero interest in another season of this show. If they decided to fold Luke Cage and Iron Fist into Heroes For Hire and brought in a showrunner that delivered us a fun, pulpy buddy team up show then I would be totally down.

Edited by suicidewatch

I finished it earlier this week.  It's not a perfect show, but I liked it.  Personally, I found it to be a lot better than Jessica Jones, which I just re-watched with my girlfriend and discovered I liked a lot less than I remembered.  I can understand why some people were let down by some aspects of the show, and I do hope that a potential second season explores some more of the comic's concepts a bit more.  I'd put this on par with Luke Cage as a show that is mostly solid, with a few rough spots.  I look forward to seeing Danny interact with the rest of the Defenders.

8 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I don't think DST could (or would) change one of the characters without some kind information from the licensee, like with DoFP Rogue. Still, I think it's worth offering feedback.

hah yea i know i'm just joking but seriously throwing it out there at the same time. deff want a gao, she is a very cool character that seems to have a larger role in the future so i'm sure (hope) we will get her. 

Given that the first set won't be out 'til September, I doubt we'll be getting a second unless pre-sales for the first warrant it, and soon. It's looking like a Defenders set will only feature heroes when it could probably be a regular assortment of 2-packs.

Was Madame Gao supposed to be the secret "big bad" in this series? Because it didn't seem that way in the show. They did try hiding her in silhouette but it was about as effective as only showing Yoda's outline in The Last Jedi teaser. "Oo! Who could it be?!" I kept waiting for another shoe to drop and it never did.

• 3 weeks later...

I read something today that seem to indicate the Punisher series will be out this year, which would be great and we'd get 3 Marvel Netflix series in 2017.

"Still, it was nice to get a glimpse of this look in Daredevil, but it’s going to be even better seeing it in full when Punisher is expected to hit Netflix later this year."

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-punisher-set-pics-reveal-frank-castles-new-skull-la-1794292217