UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Netflix Iron Fist

Zylek

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is different than what I was expecting. The first three – Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage – all seem pretty serious in tone. I was hoping this would be a bit lighter. I know this teaser's just the tip of the tip of the iceberg so I'm still optimistic.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't wait for another Marvel Netflix show where our hero fights in the poorly lit hallways and warehouses of New York City, while giving vague lip service to the MCU, and then finally gets a costume in the last 10 minutes of the finale. 

Edited by suicidewatch

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I have to wonder if these reviewers are hung up on "whitewashing."

and bingo was his name-o...

In all seriousness, I have found that there is a general dialogue that points to this being the case. Not to mention the hyperbole being passed around on social media that this is "THE WORST THING NETFLIX HAS EVER HAD!!!! IT'S A COMPLETE FAILURE!!!"

I mean, let's be honest it couldn't possibly be as bad as the Ridiculous Six.

I don't understand the "whitewashing" criticism; Iron Fist has always been Danny Rand, and Danny Rand has always been white.  Is the argument that white people can't learn martial arts?  Chuck Norris might have a problem with that....?

Apart from that nonsense, the reviews all agree that everthing else is mediocre as well. The choreograpghy is bland, slow and doesn't immerse you, the writting is so-so, Danny is not fleshed out, etc, etc. Really, the signs were there. No costume, no magical elements, extremely grounded story, etc, etc. It's basically Arrow, but less good. You can't do IF without magical elements. There's a reason the Brubaker/Aja/Fraction vol is regarded as the best one...

10 minutes ago, JediJohnson said:

I don't understand the "whitewashing" criticism; Iron Fist has always been Danny Rand, and Danny Rand has always been white.  Is the argument that white people can't learn martial arts?  Chuck Norris might have a problem with that....?

I'm all for diverse representation where it makes sense. It makes no sense to change Rand from a white kid to an Asian dude just because he's supposed to know martial arts. That seems contrary to the whole Anti-stereotyping Brigade's agenda. Rand's supposed to be an outsider in an Asian culture. Making him Asian certainly doesn't help that aspect of his character.

With characters like Kingpin and Perry White, their racial heritage and skin color don't matter to the character. But good luck taking a guy like Black Panther and making him anything but black because "there aren't just black people in Africa, you know!"

4 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Apart from that nonsense, the reviews all agree that everthing else is mediocre as well. The choreograpghy is bland, slow and doesn't immerse you, the writting is so-so, Danny is not fleshed out, etc, etc. Really, the signs were there. No costume, no magical elements, extremely grounded story, etc, etc. It's basically Arrow, but less good. You can't do IF without magical elements. There's a reason the Brubaker/Aja/Fraction vol is regarded as the best one...

Hopefully they're saving the mystical elements for The Defenders.

Here's Alan Sepinwall's (very negative) review:
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/iron-fist-review-netflix-marvel/

Note there's no mention of the whitewashing controversy.  Sepinwall is, I think, the best TV critic out there right now, and he's also a comics fan so he's familiar with the source material.  And yeah, he's not impressed.

I'm sad to hear this sounds like a dud.  Iron Fist is probably the character of these four that I like the best, so it's the one I had the highest hopes for. But he doesn't have the rich history that Daredevil does to pull from, or the one relatively tight storyline like Jessica Jones (even if I'm not a big fan of the source material).  Cage is similar, and that show definitely dragged by not having a strong central narrative to fall back on (though I suspect I'd feel a lot more differently if the show hadn't downgraded its' central villain halfway through), but it at least created a strong atmosphere for itself.  It sounds like Iron Fist doesn't even manage that, which is a damn shame because the Brubaker/Fracton comic is basically an easy template for how to make a kickass Iron Fist show.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Hopefully they're saving the mystical elements for The Defenders.

That's very likely, but it's also the reason IF failed/is failing/is gonna fail/whatever. They pulled all the magical stuff from the IF mythos to dump them into the Defenders book. The Brubaker vol was perfect for a film/tv series, but they blew it with their whole "realism" thing. Zombie Ninjas didn't work that well over at DD, so I guess they figured they better go all "dark n'gritty" on it.

Just how much can you remove the mystical elements from Iron Fist? He gets his powers from a frickin' dragon and his hands glow.

This shouldn't have been that hard. Pull as many elements as you can from the Fraction/Brubaker run and have awesome fight choreography. Being able to use the Hand as villains should have made it that much easier.

It gets harder when magic in the MCU is actually science/technology that we don't understand; somebody has to come up with the gobbledygook that explains it to us mere mortals.  Writing is like math, hard.

2 hours ago, JediJohnson said:

It gets harder when magic in the MCU is actually science/technology that we don't understand; somebody has to come up with the gobbledygook that explains it to us mere mortals.  Writing is like math, hard.

They could go with the explanation Strange gave which was essentially "it's kinda science but fuck you it's magic and we're never gonna mention that it's something other than magic ever again"